Author Topic: Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  (Read 174073 times)

GM Dredd

• Retired Game Master
  • Influence: 18
Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes
« on: May 01, 2019, 02:30:41 am »
Paragon City is Convulsing. Choking. Breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street.
Only YOU can step up to the challenge and stop the forces of evil from taking over!

We want to make sure everyone who wants to be a Hero, Villain, or one of those fifty gray shades in between can do so, so this guide here is going to lay out just how you can get yourself all set up for to play.

1. Download Tequila, the Official Launcher of the Homecoming City of Heroes Server. Mac users get your drink on with some Island Rum, the Mac Launcher.

2. Hold down the Windows Logo Key ⊞ on your keyboard and hit the letter E for Explorer and a window will pop open. You can also right-click the folder icon on the taskbar and click File Explorer (Windows 10) or click Computer in the Start Menu (Windows 7).

3. Click on This PC (Windows 10) or Computer (Windows 7), make sure you can see the devices and drives, you should see Local Disk (C:) as an icon, open that sucker up.

4. Make a new folder right in there, you can click on the New Folder icon in the window, or right-click in any of the empty white space and select New > Folder.
    Name it Games, then create another new folder and name it CoH

5. Open that shiny new CoH folder and drop Tequila in there, then open Tequila. If Tequila asks you to select an installation folder choose C:/Games/COH then grab yourself a snack and have a wait, Tequila is going to download everything and this part will take a while.

6. While you wait for Tequila to download make an account on the forum, then sign in.
Then go to the Game Account page and enter a username and password for the game.

7. Once Tequila has finished downloading everything select CoH Homecoming from the choices and hit that Play button!
Note that SCORE in the screenshot below is now "CoH Homecoming"!

8. Once the game loads use the Account info you chose back in Step 6 to log in, then choose a server to call home, Indomitable and Excelsior are excellent choices for getting in quick.

If you have any trouble trouble getting any of these steps to work please check out the totally awesome Community Guide, it has a ton of troubleshooting steps covering almost every issue anyone has had with getting the game going, and alternative methods of getting the game files.

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:23:57 pm by GM Widower »

The Philotic Knight

• Influence: 183
  • Global Handle: Mysteri
  • Original Server(s): All of the Above
Re: Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:34:02 am »
I applaud this extensive use of bbCoding!

Crazy1van

• Influence: 0
  • Global Handle: Kavik
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »
I downloaded Tequila and put it in a C:/COH folder. It seems to have a bad manifest. How can I get the right one?

Alkiera

• Global Handle: Alkiera_Kerithor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 04:40:06 pm »
I downloaded Tequila and put it in a C:/COH folder. It seems to have a bad manifest. How can I get the right one?
Make sure the folder and files aren't set to read only.  After fixing that, it started right up.

Draconic_Kid

• Global Handle: Draconic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
Make sure the folder and files aren't set to read only.  After fixing that, it started right up.
Easiest solution: Right-click the Tequila.exe icon and run it as an administrator. Acknowledge the safety warning and continue on - that should prevent any r/w errors since it already has permission since we're picking C drive.

Silk

• Global Handle: @Silky
  • Original Server(s): Bree, Torchbearer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 11:14:19 am »
https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,372.0.html

My install guide has lots fixes for errors and problems people have run across.

nabeshin13

• Global Handle: Positron 1.5
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 12:48:09 pm »
Yezzur we back! 7 years ive been waiting to use my Ill/Rad Controller! Lets go CoHers!

Lestius

• Global Handle: Lestius
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 04:57:35 am »
Followed all the directions but when I try to put in username and password I get invalid username or password message.

Silk

• Global Handle: @Silky
  • Original Server(s): Bree, Torchbearer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:05 am »
After making a forum account you need to make a game account here https://score.savecoh.com/account/

Meteit

• Influence: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 04:21:58 pm »
Followed all the directions but when I try to put in username and password I get invalid username or password message.
Same as me

orangepaw3

• Global Handle: orangepaw3
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 09:30:56 am »
Hey all just a PSA.

When I executed "tequila.exe," I was informed of a virus/malware install called "EK-Trickbot-malspam."  This particular threat is very dangerous.

You can learn more about "Trickbot" here.
https://www.cisecurity.org/white-papers/security-primer-trickbot/

Traditional Trickbot infections steal financial information.

"TrickBot is a modular banking trojan that targets user financial information and acts as a dropper for other malware. It uses man-in-the-browser attacks to steal financial information, such as login credentials for online banking sessions. The malware authors are continuously releasing new modules and versions of TrickBot."

Please exercise caution until this is explained or rectified.

Regards,
Paw
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:45:52 am by orangepaw3 »

Isaac

• Global Handle: Isaac
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 09:50:08 am »
I don't have any money to lose but I don't want to lose the money I have. Should I format my pc damn

orangepaw3

• Global Handle: orangepaw3
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:54 am »
I would, as a minimum using a "non-free" antivirus solution and run a scan as a basic cover.  Also, the white paper link has some concepts on what to do if you think you are infected.

moonstone20

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:37:51 pm »
Hi Guys I can start he game but when I put my account and password in the game stops responding after I press login, could someone help please?

UltimatePrime

• Global Handle: UltimatePrime
  • Original Server(s): Defiant
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 01:37:06 pm »
I'm having issues with downloading it on Mac.

Can anyone help?

When I open the Island Rum I get a message about "error loading manifest".

/Prime
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:48:44 pm by UltimatePrime »
/Prime

- Speedrunner, farmer, plvler, etc.