Homecoming Server Update: Super Packs

Jimmy

• City Council

Hey folks,

We’ve got a couple of exciting things to discuss today!

Super Packs

We’ve just made 3 types of Super Packs available for purchase at the Auction House. Before I get into more details, I’d like to make a few things clear:

• The value of each Super Pack is roughly equivalent to 10 Reward Merits & some goodies
  • Each pack contains 5 things
  • The prices are likely to increase over time and without notice
  • The drop tables may also change without notice
  • It’s possible you may encounter issues, packs and items may disappear before or as you claim them - until this has been tested thoroughly, use them at your own risk as there will be no refunds for lost influence or items
  • The money spent on these packs is removed from the game, it isn’t going to another player (essentially, this allows us to combat inflation)

Super Pack: Heroes and Villains

• Cost: 10 million inf
  • Contains most of the items listed on this page
  • Some items (such as the costume pieces) aren’t included as they’re now free
  • Other items (such as Brainstorm ideas) have been added
  • Drop rates are generally more generous than they were on live

Super Pack: Rogues and Vigilantes

• Cost: 10 million inf
  • Contains most of the items listed on this page
  • Some items (such as the costume pieces) aren’t included as they’re now free
  • Other items (such as Brainstorm ideas) have been added
  • Drop rates are generally more generous than they were on live

Super Pack: Lords of Winter

• Cost: 25 million inf (price will be reduced during the Winter event)
  • Contains extra-special Winter enhancements
  • Contains some Winter-event themed goodies (temporary powers, candy canes, etc)
  • Also contains most of the same filler content as the other two packs

Full details on the drop rates will be added to the post below at some point soon™.

Server Balance & XP Bonuses

Everlasting shot up to 2nd place fairly quickly after being designated as the RP server, with Excelsior and Indomitable now being the two quieter servers.

As such, on Monday we will be making the following changes to the XP boosts:

• The 50% general XP boost will remain on for the foreseeable future (not just on weekdays) to make up for downtime you’ve been experiencing
  • The -50% XP cut in AE will also remain on for the foreseeable future
  • Excelsior and Indomitable will both have an additional +50% XP added (for a total of +100%), however this additional bonus is not guaranteed for any length of time - once we’re happy with the load on each of those servers, it’ll be removed

Architect Entertainment

As mentioned above, the AE XP reduction will be remaining in place for the foreseeable future. Soon, however, we will be making a change to allow any arcs flagged as ‘Dev Choice’ to give full XP like any other non-AE mission.

To reiterate, the primary reason for the XP reduction is that the traditional farm maps used by many players put an incredibly high strain on the server’s CPU (this isn’t related to any memory leaks as some have suggested). It was causing everyone to have a degraded experience, which just isn’t fair.

In addition, some of you may have experienced issues editing and updating AE arcs you uploaded in the first week or so of the servers being online. This was caused by the AE databases not being shared by the different shards when we first brought Excelsior online. We’ve since rectified this issue and all new AE arcs are now fully accessible across all shards, but there are some older arcs that have been stuck in limbo.

We’re looking at various options for fixing this and aren’t completely certain on which route we’ll take first, but we would like to request that everyone make frequent offline backups of their AE content for the time being, as we may need to wipe some or all of the AE database in order to fully resolve this issue. If a wipe is required, we will give you a minimum of 3 days notice.

Rumours & Clarifications

This is a rather unfortunate topic, but one we need to tackle. Certain members of various groups have been spreading misinformation about the Homecoming servers, i25, and the Homecoming team, so we’d like to quickly clarify a few things.

• We have no plans to roll back to i24
  • i24 is in no material way more (or less) optimized than i25 (i25 has some very minor optimisations in very busy environments, such as the ITF, but that's it)
  • We intend to continue developing off of i25, there’s no basis to the rumour that it cannot be updated
  • We have no plans to perform a character wipe unless absolutely necessary (read this for further clarification)
  • We have no issues with anyone else running servers, but we have no interest in helping any groups whose behaviour puts us at risk
  • Nobody is making any money from this - it is in fact costing us quite a bit
  • We will not be publicly soliciting donations until we feel it can be done without putting the server at risk
  • We are not withholding anyone’s character data from the live server - we do not have access to this data, nor do we want access to this data, as it would almost certainly get the server shut down

Coming Soon...

Finally, a quick heads-up on what’s happening over the next week.

Patches

We intend to push out a client update at some point in the next few days with some fixes. We’ll be posting another announcement when the patch is ready, but we just wanted to make you all aware so you weren’t surprised by a sudden download!

As always, until Sunrise is released we recommend everyone sticks with Tequila & Island Rum. The patch should download and apply fine if you’re using other launchers, but we can’t guarantee it’ll work.

Server Changes

As you may have noticed we’ve had a couple of unstable periods and unscheduled maintenance windows lately. These have primarily been down to us experimenting with different configurations options to increase the performance and cost-efficiency of our set-up.

These are likely to continue for at least a couple more days, so apologies in advance for the inconvenience!

Stats

We are aware you guys want more stats in these posts. We’re working on a way to make stats easier for us to gather (doing it across 4 servers is a bit of a pain!) to satisfy your deepest statistical desires for future news posts.

That’s all for today! When the servers come up, be sure to… Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

- The Homecoming Team

• Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Thanks so much guys!

For those of us interested in helping with future development, is there somewhere we can go to get involved or will that remain closed to the existing SCORE group?

- Live Monday and Thursdays at 7pm CST

I have no idea of any prior CoH community history or drama or whatever, but I like you guys.  You're doing an amazing thing, for free, and being super responsible and transparent and informative.  Thank you for everything you're doing, truly.

"Everlasting shot up to 2nd place fairly quickly after being designated as the RP server"

While that correlation could be causation, I'm not wholly sure that there is enough data to clearly declare that to be the case.

1. It had 100% exp bonus.

2. It was not designated as the "unofficial pvp server"(which technically when the authority of an announcement declares designations of x and y servers as rp and pvp that tends to blur the lines of making "unofficial" seem less so).

So while Im not of course denying it having statistically increased in the number of players, Im simply treating with skepticism that the cause was due to being designated "the RP server" since Points 1 and 2 when taken in conjunction with each other alone could be the cause as well. 

I appreciate the work and efforts being done for these servers and the restoration of the game so publicly as it is now but it would perhaps be of merit to try to consider how such statistical information is presented in the future.

There just isn't any clear way to make a determination and any hindsight polls or anecdotally presented information by others wouldn't reflect that either.

Huh, I guess things weren't understood by many about the i24/i25 thing then. I was under the impression that we were running i24 as it was the amalgamation of the last live code (leaked) and that i25 was that plus post sunset mods/upgrades, but you guys were working on the (more pure) i24 code to build from.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Glad you guys clarified about i25. There were rumors going around that Sentinels would be wiped etc. Luckily I asked in private and was reassured they were here to stay... they are my new favorite AT. As for the super packs.. nah I am good.. I need that influence to help cover some IOs hehe.

[*]It’s possible you may encounter issues, packs and items may disappear before or as you claim them - until this has been tested thoroughly, use them at your own risk as there will be no refunds for lost influence or items

This warning is IMPORTANT !!

Just baught 3 packs to try the concept … open them and see the goodies … I validate but then I cannot see anythink on my character. I have carefully check for 10 minutes in the salvages and enhancements but there is really nothing.

30 millions lost ;)

It has to be taken in consideration before buying

** Heroes can be killed but legend will remain **

Thank you so much for all the team is doing, and I hope all goes well with further hardware configurations and optimizations.  To have such a hard-working, transparent team donating so much of their own personal time to bringing our city back, and doing a better job every day with that, is more than any hero (or villain, or rogue lol) could ask!

• City Council

[*]It’s possible you may encounter issues, packs and items may disappear before or as you claim them - until this has been tested thoroughly, use them at your own risk as there will be no refunds for lost influence or items

This warning is IMPORTANT !!

Just baught 3 packs to try the concept … open them and see the goodies … I validate but then I cannot see anythink on my character. I have carefully check for 10 minutes in the salvages and enhancements but there is really nothing.

30 millions lost ;)

It has to be taken in consideration before buying

Check the in-game email window ;)
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!