Fortunatas for the cheap and stingy?

As the subject says. I've got this long-standing fascination with psychic characters, and another with seldom-played character types. But it'll be a while before I'm rolling in the influence, and I'm interested in any guides - past or present - that could help me chart a course. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later

I've been working on a full guide, but my advice from playing both the NW and Fortunata branch extensively on Live and going back to it with my main character here is... fortunatas aren't as great with cheap builds as many other characters, but they are substantially better with "stacked" expensive builds than most.  NWs are amazing on a cheap build relative to other characters, but don't benefit as much from "stacked" builds (cause they hit their recharge target and softcaps without them).

What it comes down to is that NW mind link at base recharges a full minute faster than fortunata, and then NW also gets an inherent passive recharge boost of 20% from mental training.  This makes perma-ML easy to reach, and thus, perma-softcap to all 3 positional defenses.  The fortunata however when you can get there, adds in "basically being a mind controller while having a tier 9 nuke" to the mix.  So it's really good stuff.

Fortunatas need to "work around" this difference to realize their potential.  That said, both widows start kinda slow and only hit their stride in the 20s when they get foresight in particular, before that they are extra squishy thanks to 2nd-lowest-in-the-game hp tier, and taste good with ketchup.

Finally, since you specifically mentioned psychic character - the ranged psychic attacks blow goats compared to the claws, statistically speaking.  You won't be worthless if you go ranged, but bear in mind it's not maximizing the character's potential.  Also - get Gloom asap from the patron pools because your attack chain won't be complete just on psi blasts for single target.  It's also better than any of the blasts you get normally.

@Flux Vector

Formerly from Virtue

• 2 weeks later

I will say though that if you're running with a solid team every concern outlined above will be eliminated by the synergy with your teammates and the typical array of buffs put on you.

Of course I also say that as someone who was playing a Fortunata at the point in time the devs overlooked that Psychic Scream didn't have a target cap, and our favorite group activity was to aggro every longbow on the map and ambush them as they came in the front door of the Talos Island bank.

Me: Wow it looks like I just killed 30 Longbow at once. That can't be right...

But anyway, yes. Super fun AT, worth the work building.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

widows start kinda slow and only hit their stride in the 20s when they get foresight in particular, before that they are extra squishy thanks to 2nd-lowest-in-the-game hp tier, and taste good with ketchup.

Can confirm my Fortunado is a daily serving for Wyvern agents. They just eat him for lunch, I'm going to have to turn the difficulty down to -1 to finish Marshall Brass's arc solo. There will be so much payback at a later date though...

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!