Drop a name, pick up a name!

Primana

So this was one of my favorite threads back on Virtue's boards. If you have a cool name you're willing to release, or if you've just released one, post it! Maybe someone has a great concept to go with it.

I released Thorns, and I still have Strikedown if anyone wants them.

Unfortunately, on the Virtue forum, this kind of thread was an opportunity for a select group of people to grab/trade names as if they were collectibles to keep for themselves unless you were able to trade a better name for whatever they had. If you have a name and you have no use for it, just delete it. Someone else will grab it the natural way and make actual use out of it.

Please don't repeat the community of name-grabbing hoarders that was plaguing Virtue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just to add to this, people wouldn't just trade names for better names, they would hold them hostage and sell them for influence/infamy or trade them for valuable salvage/recipes/etc. I have no idea how they found out who wanted a specific name in order to contact them, it's entirely possible this didn't happen as often as it seemed, or at all, and was simply a rumor started by the community, but there were enough complaints about it that I certainly believe it could have happened to some extent.

If I could get one thing brought over from Champions Online it would be having people identified by global names. So there could be any number of 'Red Star's or what have you on a server without conflict since they would be things like Red Star@jimbob, Red Star@heroic, Red Star@supermom etc.

As it is I'm glad that I have been able to remake all my characters that I've tried so far, no names already taken. But then I had some odd ones so.....

There's been a contingent of people reserving names of characters in some RP circles from back on live. I'm not sure how many cases are just a friend reserving them for when that character's original player gets around to this server verses how many cases are to just troll them and either go through the effort of figuring out who took it, asking nicely, support tickets, or just abandoning the name.

but if it's to troll them, that behavior kinda sucks, honestly

Just to add to this, people wouldn't just trade names for better names, they would hold them hostage and sell them for influence/infamy or trade them for valuable salvage/recipes/etc. I have no idea how they found out who wanted a specific name in order to contact them, it's entirely possible this didn't happen as often as it seemed, or at all, and was simply a rumor started by the community, but there were enough complaints about it that I certainly believe it could have happened to some extent.

As someone who was very active on the Virtue Name Thread, this post does not reflect my experience at all (TW: anecdotal evidence). Any time I saw a name that I liked and contacted the owner, they released it free and clear, usually coordinating our playtimes so we were both logged in at the same time (thereby obviating the danger of losing the name in the interim). I'd never even heard of someone 'ransoming' a name.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, if anyone has or knows if the person who has the name Mosquito would be willing to give it up... it's not a huge deal, but Mosquito was my main on Virtue since the pre-launch headstart, heh. It'd be cool to bring him back. Unfortunately I just signed up so I don't really have anything or any good names to trade.

Anyway! I never heard of that whole name-trading/holding hostage thing. I mean, I don't doubt it went on or is going on now, but... I actually did get a decent number of fun names from the old Virtue names thread! Although I never did the "contact person who is holding the name" thing, I always just scanned through lists people made of interesting ones they'd found but left unclaimed.

If you can't find a name you are dying for, don't forget your adjectives! I tried for the name "Beast" which was obviously taken, but "Brutal Beast" and "Bouncing Beast" were both available. So was "Beast of King's Row" and "King Beast". (I didn't use any of those, so feel free to take them).

Searching for a good descriptive addition to the name also inspires other ideas to tighten up your roleplay. Beast is okay, but Beast of King's Row opens up the story in so many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Meh, I think if you can't get a "Good name", you just need to practice using your imagination more. There's an infinite number of possibilities out there.

Hm, technically there is a finite number of options. What is the maximum number of characters for a character name...? ;)

In all seriousness though, I completely agree.

If you cant think of a name that works in English, try another language. German, Italian, and Latin all make good character names.

I had characters named "Shadowcat" "Hellcat" "Radiation" "Beautiful violent death" ... and that's just the ones I can remember off the top of my head, in other languages

The last one, I am particularly fond of her name. I may remake her, or if not remake her reuse the name for someone else... I digress.

Another great resource for character names is baby name sites. Not just for real names, mind you, but again delve in to names in other languages and you can find some names with really cool meanings that have a good sound for a superhero name.

• Like 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Meh, I think if you can't get a "Good name", you just need to practice using your imagination more. There's an infinite number of possibilities out there.

Hm, technically there is a finite number of options. What is the maximum number of characters for a character name...? ;)

In all seriousness though, I completely agree.

If you cant think of a name that works in English, try another language. German, Italian, and Latin all make good character names.

I had characters named "Shadowcat" "Hellcat" "Radiation" "Beautiful violent death" ... and that's just the ones I can remember off the top of my head, in other languages

The last one, I am particularly fond of her name. I may remake her, or if not remake her reuse the name for someone else... I digress.

Another great resource for character names is baby name sites. Not just for real names, mind you, but again delve in to names in other languages and you can find some names with really cool meanings that have a good sound for a superhero name.

Half of my characters have names translated to Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic and a few German names. Just have to point people to your I.D. card if they ask (and you bother to put the English version there).

As someone who frequented and loved the Virtue Name Watch, this absolutely was not my experience either. I regularly grabbed names that I later released (and posted) when a concept didn't come together. In getting literally dozens of names from people over the years of the Watch, I never had one person solicit payment nor have I even heard of what you describe happening. People being people, I can well imagine that it did but I believe it was the exception, not the rule.

One of the things I and others used to do was post long lists (sometimes themed) of names that we found available. I cannot even begin to say how nice it was to hear from people in messages or in-game thanking me for a name I dug up that worked perfect for an idea they had.

It can get tough when I server has been around awhile and some folks just like single word names. I tend to be one of them. I still would find the occasional gem on Virtue even in 2012. It was fun finding cool names so late in the game.

@Attache on Everlasting (Formely Virtue and Pinnacle)

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Blue Weasel || Big League || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter ||  Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

So, I don't expect this to get me any results, but Rune has been my online identifier and main character for many, many years. From before CoH existed in 2004 even. I was  @Rune on Virtue in the old days, as well.

[i can't even remember if global handles were the same across shards in the old days now, but I was on Virtue 99.99% of the time after 2006 anyhow.]

I also am well known and [possibly] semi-respected leader of the Silver Age Sentinels Role-playing group in Champions Online with my main hero there, where I am Rune@Rune. I have a lot of history and community built up around both the name on a personal level, and the character from Role-playing perspective.

When I found that both my name and handle were taken on Homecoming, it was heartbreaking, but if I can at least get the character name back, I'd appreciate it and am willing to trade for it. If I could get the handle back too, that would be amazing. but I can only change that once, so I won't change it unless I can actually get @Rune.

So, I don't expect this to get me any results, but Rune has been my online identifier and main character for many, many years. From before CoH existed in 2004 even. I was  @Rune on Virtue in the old days, as well.

[i can't even remember if global handles were the same across shards in the old days now, but I was on Virtue 99.99% of the time after 2006 anyhow.]

I also am well known and [possibly] semi-respected leader of the Silver Age Sentinels Role-playing group in Champions Online with my main hero there, where I am Rune@Rune. I have a lot of history and community built up around both the name on a personal level, and the character from Role-playing perspective.

When I found that both my name and handle were taken on Homecoming, it was heartbreaking, but if I can at least get the character name back, I'd appreciate it and am willing to trade for it. If I could get the handle back too, that would be amazing. but I can only change that once, so I won't change it unless I can actually get @Rune.

I can sympathise with this. While I was able to get the global name USAngel, I had to settle for U S Angel on the Everlasting server since both USAngel and US Angel were taken.

Hey all. Not sure where to post this but I just found out about this awesomeness and am coming from 7 years on the Virtue Server.

I'm on the hunt for my name sake on that server - Goblin Queen. Any leads would be appreciated. Understood if there's no chance but figured had to ask!

Also have toons on Virtue by the name Brimstona, Storm Dragon, Mister Halloween, Enchanter, Primeva from Virtue but was only able to get Brimstona and Mister Halloween, so I'm on the look out for those guys as well!

Thanks.

Are you guys sending tells to the players who have these names?

This, a thousand times this. Using /getglobalname and then sending a gtell to the resulting player is a much, much easier method of tracking down owners.