Melee in PvP

Is it pretty much useless? Last time I PvPed in any of the PvP zones the ONLY melee AT's that I saw were stalkers. Everyone was moving and zipping around so fast that it almost seemed like it was just pointless to play melee. I have not PvPed since the incarnate stuff was added and I am sure that has a pretty big effect on everything.

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

Yeah its rough/impossible.  You can barely get even 1 hit in because then you're travel suppressed and they other guy is bouncing away throwing ranged attacks at you.  I play a stalker and even with assassin' strike (which is really hard to get off in an uncoordinated group) and on-demand crits out of hide I usually just can hit once then pray it kills something before I die.

Cant even imagine with other melee classes that do less dmg.

I rolled a blaster yesterday just to have some fun.

Melee isn’t useless. It’s not in a great spot, but it’s far from useless.

Contrary to what has been said, Stalkers are easy-mode right now because everyone is using sets that rely on really long animations, and most players, frankly, have pretty bad moment. AS is really easy to get off - even if you can’t get it off - many of the t9s can crit for huge damage and and be slotted with many procs. Stalkers are also very survivable in zone and arena fights of all sizes.

There’s a number of scrapper/brute/tank builds that are decent in small skirmishes and 1v1s, due to their damage output and being basically unkillable.

In big team settings, scrappers and tanks are basically reduced to being taunt bots. While that’s boring, it’s also mega broken because you can completely cancel a player out with minimal effort.

Travel suppression doesn’t exist in zones anymore btw, and in arena matches it gets turned off too. 

I don't think that there has ever been an MMO where melee got a fair shake in PvP.  This is one of the reasons why I don't PvP.  Something like a cage match might be interesting. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

That's really what I was afraid of. I miss old PvP from when CoV launched. God that was so much fun, and I remember being in RV, and seeing pretty much every AT. That was so much fun. I have a feeling I'm about to be disappointed when I PvP next. Maybe we will get lucky and these guys will fix it.

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

That's really what I was afraid of. I miss old PvP from when CoV launched. God that was so much fun, and I remember being in RV, and seeing pretty much every AT. That was so much fun. I have a feeling I'm about to be disappointed when I PvP next. Maybe we will get lucky and these guys will fix it.

What more do you honestly want? Doms, Corrs, Stalkers, Blasters, Defenders, a few controllers all have very strong builds in PvP from 1 v 1's to 8 v 8's.    As the Banana man posted above, Brutes and Tanks fill a role, it isn't an exciting one but they still have a place.  Veats still mess with stalkers and have some disruption with web nades.  Masterminds will always be annoying for people who fight into them.  People still enjoy fightclub where 2 melee slug it out so scrappers, brutes and tanks have their own little world of PvP.

What is left? Khelds not really bringing much to PvP?

I cringe every time I see a scrapper, tanker or brute without taunt and without web envelope. Those two things can net you a solid spot in an 8v8.

There is a role for every melee in an 8v8. It's not the same role as in PVE (you'll be running disruption), but nonetheless it is a valid role.

Is it me or folks act like sentinels dont exist? Ranged AT with scrapper/brute like secondary armors aka best of both worlds. Also melee has always been viable i played from i12 up until shutdown and i was 100% melee up until incarnates came. I made my first pvp squishy a rupter i managed to be decent with. But before that i was all about melee, webnade headspliter crits could one shot a squishy if you were slotted well with proc, worst case a quick follow up. True all melee wasnt viable, but the ones that were did well. Spines/Regen was a thing, Doms feared WP tanks, the good days.

Some armors tends to be good at keeping players alive in PvP (for a bit) but no native means of melee ATs to close range really cripple the pure Melee ATs.

Most games I have played tend to give melee ATs gap closers of some sort, for both, PvP and PvE. It may be an ability to pull enemies closer, or to move themselves closer to the enemy. This game tends to lack that stuff. Best we get are immob powers on epic pools, or temp powers(?)

Some armors tends to be good at keeping players alive in PvP (for a bit) but no native means of melee ATs to close range really cripple the pure Melee ATs.

Most games I have played tend to give melee ATs gap closers of some sort, for both, PvP and PvE. It may be an ability to pull enemies closer, or to move themselves closer to the enemy. This game tends to lack that stuff. Best we get are immob powers on epic pools, or temp powers(?)

Melee has - Access to a pool of ranged powers to round out their build.  Ways of permanently removing all vertical movement and flight with zero suppression period.  Access to hard and soft CC that  with a successful hit roll is guaranteed to apply mez effects (if someone else hasn't tagged them with a mez recently).  A potent easily perma -75% range debuff, that also prevents a ranged character from attacking anyone else.  Teleport foe is a power pick anyone can make (there is your pull) and I believe with i24 they have removed the temporary phase period that got introduced at some point on the target after it is cast.

The tools you wished were there pretty much already are.

Most people that are upset about melee in PvP in this game:

1) Never understood how they can be useful as hell.

or..

2) Are aware, but mad that they won't top the kill count list.

Either way. Barrier is bad.

;D

• Thanks 1

"His Imperial Majesties Minister of Restraints and Leather"

~Living Hellfire

Play a Bane Spider. You get stealth cap, perception cap, tons of -res (surveillance/shatter armor/achilles' heel proc), Shatter (the most powerful ST melee attack in the game), Poisonous Ray (ranged toxic DoT), and Web Cocoon (Web Grenade on steroids).

No other melee build can compare to the predatory excellence of a properly built Bane Spider in PVP. At the very minimum, you have infinite survivability since you can just Placate at any time and run away. At best, you're two-shotting everyone that isn't either a MM in BG mode or a Brute. Good times.

Jump run pew pew jump run pew pew....naooo bleah

Melee are the kings of Clubber PVP never tried it?

1vs1 in melee range no inspirations

Tank Brute Scrapper Stalker etc etc

We are a lots of Clubbers in Indomitable try to challenge us and sure do you will have fun ;-)

• 2 weeks later

What more do you honestly want? Doms, Corrs, Stalkers, Blasters, Defenders, a few controllers all have very strong builds in PvP from 1 v 1's to 8 v 8's.    As the Banana man posted above, Brutes and Tanks fill a role, it isn't an exciting one but they still have a place.  Veats still mess with stalkers and have some disruption with web nades.  Masterminds will always be annoying for people who fight into them.  People still enjoy fightclub where 2 melee slug it out so scrappers, brutes and tanks have their own little world of PvP.

where can I find some of these build about what makes a good dom, mastermind, corr, defender for pvp? I never really got much into it and still am clueless what to build for with any of these. I used to play around with my Trick arrows arrows defender in RV and had fun especially with a  team.

Contrary to what has been said, BLASTERS and SENTINELS are easy-mode right now

Fixed.

But seriously, I disagree with stalkers being easymode because of the cheese ass T9. I have yet to see anyone be a threat on a Stalker other than UW, Void, Gore, etc.

I do agree about the survival tho.

where can I find some of these build about what makes a good dom, mastermind, corr, defender for pvp? I never really got much into it and still am clueless what to build for with any of these. I used to play around with my Trick arrows arrows defender in RV and had fun especially with a  team.

Dom's - For spike teams in larger matches Earth/Fire for Mez Spikes Mind/Fire or Mind/Energy.

Masterminds - For 1 v 1's, Whatever (usually thugs) / Thermal Poison or Nature are all really strong.

Defenders - Nature/Ice  Rad/Ice  Poison/Dark  Therm/Ice Emp/Water just to name a few.

Melee is viable, I'll make a vid on it sometime. You should be using webnades/-jump to catch people. Obviously not every melee set performs well, but there's ALOT of ranged sets that don't perform well either. Builds like BS/SR scrappers can really own.

Hows that vid coming along with the vianle melee? : P

• 1 month later

It's really fuckin shitty is what it is, blasters and sentinels have no fuckin problem killing in zone etc yet melee have been reduced to taunt bot midliners, that's not right but they would put up just as much of a bitch session if melee actually was able to hurt them. Having to take web nades makes you lose your extra damage, doing damage is tough for melee right now, for ranged it's easy to spam thier shit for procs, because for every 1 melee hit that happens they have blasted you with 3-4 powers full of procs. And before everyone says stalker this etc fuck that, I'm talking scrappers brutes and tanks

It's really fuckin shitty is what it is, blasters and sentinels have no fuckin problem killing in zone etc yet melee have been reduced to taunt bot midliners, that's not right but they would put up just as much of a bitch session if melee actually was able to hurt them. Having to take web nades makes you lose your extra damage, doing damage is tough for melee right now, for ranged it's easy to spam thier shit for procs, because for every 1 melee hit that happens they have blasted you with 3-4 powers full of procs. And before everyone says stalker this etc fuck that, I'm talking scrappers brutes and tanks

Has been the case in this game since forever and will always be probably.

UzQ8Eke.png

Yeah for sure man, those ranged characters like controllers, VEAT's, Khelds, and to an extent MM's are just getting kills left and right.  I dare someone to try and outkill a Grav/TA or Ill/Emp or Mind/FF.  Those guys just have it so easy.

Or maybe, just maybe this is an MMO where different classes have different roles.  Maybe the fact that your average well built brute or tank just  CAN NOT be killed by a solo blaster/dominator means they shouldn't be doing competitive damage.  Or maybe that high end melee builds can be pounded by 3-5 opponents  for upwards of 2 or 3 minutes before dying means that melee probably shouldn't be doing competitive ranged damage with characters that die in about 3 seconds when focused by 3+ opponents.

• Thanks 2