Keybinds with conditions?

EggKookoo

Hi,

Is it possible to use any kind of conditional check with a bind? For example something like "do X if Y is in range"?

Specifically, I have a MA Scrapper and I find myself in the thick of a group of MOBs, and often teamed with people with lots of knockback. I would rely on the game's auto-targeting the nearest enemy, but then if that target got knocked away I would have to run or jump over as that enemy was no longer in range of my attack(s). That was fine and all but at the same time I have a bunch of other juicy targets right next to me that need some kicking, so I changed my attacks to use binds that in turn used target_enemy_near prior to attacking. So then if my current target got bopped away, my next attack would just acquire a new target and I could keep fighting. It was great -- it created this "whirlwind of death" feel that I find a lot of fun.

However, sometimes while targeting MOB A, MOB B would run up to me and inch slightly closer. My keybind then switches to MOB B even though MOB A is still in kicking range. Again, not the end of the world, but what would be extremely awesome is if I could somehow say "if my current target is still in range, attack, otherwise use target_enemy_near to find a new one."

I think the answer is going to turn out to be "you can't get there from here" but I might as well exhaust my options.

There are no conditional commands within slash commands.  About the best you could hope for is what you originally set up.  One possible solution would be to set up 2 sets of power activation commands.  One that has target_enemy_near and one that doesn't.  That way you the human can act as the "if then" statement.

It is possible to do some things with binds that are nothing short of miraculous. For example, Gnarly's Speed-On-Demand binds creates a set of linked files that load each other every time you press a movement key. (Does spam the heck out of your System channel, though.)

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. But from what I gather there's bind_load_file_silent which shouldn't spam chat.

Yeah, the _silent version really makes rolling keybinds a lot easier to live with.

But no, there are absolutely no conditions, switches, or even (sigh) a pause for key binds.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 2 weeks later

I’m not sure if this would work or not.  But maybe try putting follow at the end. It may make it so you will stay a bit closer to the immediate mob your fighting.  Then you could just back peddle a bit to not follow them far

“target_enemy_near$$powexecname Thunderbolt$$follow” 

I know this works really good for range attacks.  If your out of range it makes you run up to the absolute max in range distance and fire the ability

That command should work, with some tweaking if needed. The idea of letting the power determine its own firing point at maximum range is a great one for most damage alts, especially blasters. However, you have to have a hair trigger on the run-away key (S, usually) to keep your alt from running up to give that boss a hug right after firing an attack. :)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 2 weeks later

I’m not sure if this would work or not.  But maybe try putting follow at the end. It may make it so you will stay a bit closer to the immediate mob your fighting.  Then you could just back peddle a bit to not follow them far

“target_enemy_near$$powexecname Thunderbolt$$follow” 

I know this works really good for range attacks.  If your out of range it makes you run up to the absolute max in range distance and fire the ability

Actually this is also handy for melee target the nearest enemy run up to them, even if you do the attack separate!

Nope, that's it. The commands and bind/macro capabilities were deliberately designed to prevent any kind of self-actuation or perma-loops. In searching for general macro or key info, I often run into clots of wisdom about how to get around this block in various other games.

I do wish they'd allow firing of more than one power (as I am pretty sure they did at one time) or at least not be blocked by a power activation time. But oh, well.

I do wish they'd allow firing of more than one power (as I am pretty sure they did at one time) or at least not be blocked by a power activation time. But oh, well.

I'm probably delusional but I swear back live I could toggle on both Super Speed and Super Jump with one key.

I definitely have binds from Live that activated multiple powers - not all of them, it was selective - and worked then but don't now.