Perfect all round Stalker

Solarverse

If running PvE only, I would always always suggest defensive secondaries. However, in PvP, I would never suggest anyone go with defense. Why? Because with all the high accuracy and +tohit going around these days, even if you pop Elude, you will be smacked to the ground and face plant. IOs have changed things completely.

So if anyone were to ask me what is the "best" Stalker build, I would easily, without hesitation, say either Spines/Elec, Elec/Elec, or Energy/Elec. You are probably asking why not Psionic. The answer is, simply put, most of that damage is Smashing damage. Very little of it is actual Psionic damage. However, if you like it, take it.

Elec is an all resist powerset. With IO's, you can easily cap your resistance at 75%. Couple that with a Self Heal, you will be a force to be reckoned with.

In PvE, you will get hit more, obviously, but you will be much easier for healers to keep alive. Add a self heal in with that, and you are golden.

Agree or disagree...I would like for you to share your thoughts. In essence, prove me wrong.

In PvE, I feel like Kinetic Melee is one of the strongest Stalker primaries, just because of the auto-Crit on Burst (or was that "fixed" by the Homecoming team?).  The tradeoff, of course, is that Concentrated Strike can't Crit at all...well, it can, but its Crits recharge Build-Up instead of doing extra damage on their own.  I'm curious how that maths out when added to successive attacks, but I digress.

In PvE, I feel like Kinetic Melee is one of the strongest Stalker primaries, just because of the auto-Crit on Burst (or was that "fixed" by the Homecoming team?).  The tradeoff, of course, is that Concentrated Strike can't Crit at all...well, it can, but its Crits recharge Build-Up instead of doing extra damage on their own.  I'm curious how that maths out when added to successive attacks, but I digress.

My only real gripe about Kinetic is the long and drawn out animations. If it were not for that, it would have made my list as a decent primary.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun set to play, I am just q big fan of being stuck if I need to suddenly move.

My only real gripe about Kinetic is the long and drawn out animations. If it were not for that, it would have made my list as a decent primary.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun set to play, I am just q big fan of being stuck if I need to suddenly move.

Then wouldja believe that in comparison to the sets you mentioned, Kinetic is actually faster than Spines or Energy on the whole?  And average activation times are only slower than Electric by a few milliseconds?  I think the "busy" aspect to the animations makes them look more time-consuming than they actually are, whereas the straightforwardness you see with some of the other sets, similarly, makes them feel faster.

Then wouldja believe that in comparison to the sets you mentioned, Kinetic is actually faster than Spines or Energy on the whole?  And average activation times are only slower than Electric by a few milliseconds?  I think the "busy" aspect to the animations makes them look more time-consuming than they actually are, whereas the straightforwardness you see with some of the other sets, similarly, makes them feel faster.

Hmmm, that is an interesting point. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

I'm with you on the secondaries, except I actually like ice armor better than electric. It just layers the protection a smidge better for me. Electric is my go-to if I also need that 20% recharge for my primary.

On the primaries I would also agree on the electric, but I like staff a bunch too. I haven't tried Street Justice, but when I get around to it I expect it to be up there in the top three for me.

I'm with you on the secondaries, except I actually like ice armor better than electric. It just layers the protection a smidge better for me. Electric is my go-to if I also need that 20% recharge for my primary.

On the primaries I would also agree on the electric, but I like staff a bunch too. I haven't tried Street Justice, but when I get around to it I expect it to be up there in the top three for me.

I can see why Ice would work for PvE, but curious, why would you suggest it for PvP?

Here is a build I threw together. This build here gets you 75% resist on Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold and Energy. 62.9% Negative, 23.8% Toxic and 70.1% Psionic. It also gives you a decent Regen, a Self Heal and a decent Endurance Regen. And I mean, come on...it's Spines.  ;)

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1460;686;1372;HEX;|
|78DA6594594F535110C7CF6D6F2905CA225BB1145A2C6D11A8ADE0831B488098088|
|D243C98B8354D396243A5F5DE3EE893F2A07E0BD76721AE9FC3F563B824EED1A40E|
|F7FF2F90B449F3BBF77F66E6CC9999733337E65A364F6F4C2BC33F5BCCD97676B99|
|22BAE69CB93C9AD16F26EA554C36CCE5ED315AF3C7671319BD145AD93CBE5C2BAB6|
|076AE29CBEA2D76D9D9C2FEA7CC52AE4B333D6B592A55A964AA5627251E7C47AB5C|
|979592E6BBDD256D357B4655F2D94FDCE7B46AF14F21236385F2EE493E7C4ABB49E|
|CDE4EC8AB66ED6720B482AC3F2DFF429FEAA2E9570299536D5A111301D038F6EDB1|
|88E8D5B99F210171B0FD900A617DC8EED968FA6AA6A1AE795B3D675010C5F06C72F|
|9297C063E2E3467C8FFB3BE2983FC89F60C32FF237D8F8077C26BE1EFA7ADE70ED2|
|DD8FA0EEC7A0FEEFF407E049F8BAF17B97ABCF771D6830FC887E42370EC31F9043C|
|21BE3EEEEB4B198ED694260F832D13E424D87A047C21BECDD857358F2A47EB9544F|
|CD4FC096827C5AE0D7B986D51D4B97D988C81FBE264027C293E1D3C53C71D41C854|
|F1BBE43D70E4963020BC4D6E8053E2DB89FD54E73872382E5A3773E8666F7AD89B1|
|EF626C0DE04D89B21394B2F7C8C5E9E2F4ABE92787D9C8FBE32B4FEEBA40546FEA2|
|C6917FE0B4F804995790713A648F10EB1FE24C0E702607BC642318E68C86BF21BF9|
|0F80EB2D68351C41B146D88F18616D0A70367C90C19E4598298DBE894E1D473C687|
|BBB47DA661D628C61AC558A3186B14678D5E8B4F82F72EF11471C736C1F12DF094D|
|88C3AB7A9AA46C3D03A25CF24734F46A025A4E129D63B45BBF4199C3968EEDCEF6A|
|FFEEF37660CCF75EAD2A3F95AA53D275CAC45E8593325967B568EE7C37E482A3974|
|BE6CEF74119CCD5D72ECBCCF15393ACD3C760E42FBB9ACB606F5CEC898B3DFABCD7|
|8FF7E7EBAE66D4F68A90FF010B2CCFB2|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Casket: Level 50 Magic Stalker

Primary Power Set: Spines

Secondary Power Set: Electric Armor

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Medicine

Ancillary Pool: Weapon Mastery

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Barb Swipe -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), Hct-Dmg(50)

Level 1: Hide -- GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(A), GifoftheA-Def/Rchg(48), GifoftheA-EndRdx/Rchg(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)

Level 2: Lunge -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(21), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(46), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)

Level 4: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9)

Level 6: Assassin's Impaler -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(27)

Level 8: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(43), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(43), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(43), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(45), AdjTrg-Rchg(45)

Level 10: Static Shield -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(11), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam(13), Ags-Psi/Status(15)

Level 12: Placate -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 14: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)

Level 16: Grounded -- ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(17), ImpArm-EndRdx/Rchg(17), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), ImpArm-ResDam(19)

Level 18: Impale -- Tmp-Acc/Dmg(A), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(40), Slv-Acc/Dmg(42), Slv-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Slv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(42)

Level 20: Lightning Reflexes -- Run-I(A)

Level 22: Conductive Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(23), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)

Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)

Level 26: Ripper -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg(34), Obl-Acc/Rchg(34)

Level 28: Energize -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 30: Maneuvers -- GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(A), GifoftheA-Def/Rchg(31), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), GifoftheA-Def(31), GifoftheA-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Rct-ResDam%(33)

Level 32: Aid Other -- Heal-I(A)

Level 35: Aid Self -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal(36), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(36), IntRdx-I(36), IntRdx-I(37), RgnTss-Regen+(37)

Level 38: Power Surge -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(39), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40)

Level 41: Throw Spines -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(46)

Level 44: Power Sink -- EndMod-I(A)

Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 49: Physical Perfection -- EndMod-I(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)

Level 1: Assassination

Level 1: Brawl -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Run-I(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)

Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(3), DctWnd-Heal(3)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(34)

------------

------------

Set Bonus Totals:

• 8.5% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 9.69% Defense(Smashing)
  • 9.69% Defense(Lethal)
  • 4.69% Defense(Fire)
  • 4.69% Defense(Cold)
  • 1.88% Defense(Psionic)
  • 11.88% Defense(Melee)
  • 4.69% Defense(AoE)
  • 4.05% Max End
  • 7.5% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
  • 15% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 24% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 7.5% SpeedFlying
  • 108.4 HP (9.01%) HitPoints
  • 7.5% JumpHeight
  • 7.5% SpeedJumping
  • MezResist(Confused) 147.5%
  • MezResist(Held) 147.5%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 147.5%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 147.5%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 147.5%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 147.5%
  • 10.5% (0.18 End/sec) Recovery
  • 31.25% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 32% Resistance(Fire)
  • 32% Resistance(Cold)
  • 24.5% Resistance(Energy)
  • 24.5% Resistance(Negative)
  • 20.75% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 25.75% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 0% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 0% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 0% Resistance(Fire)
  • 0% Resistance(Cold)
  • 0% Resistance(Energy)
  • 0% Resistance(Negative)
  • 0% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 0% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 31.25% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 7.5% SpeedRunning

Edited for Corrupted File replacement

I tend to agree with the OP, but I would add that /Ice works great PVE/PVP.  Also Staff and StJ are both great in PVE and PVP. 

My PVP stalker on live was StJ/Ice, and I would run it again. 

/Bio is also worth a look with added burst dmg.

That's too bad, I thought I'd found the 'just right' set for my stalker until I read up on grounded.  Back to searching for the right secondary!

Picking up Acrobatics and Combat Jumping will fix that hole. If you are building just for Arena, then you only need one big hitter and a follow up...you will never have time to get off anything more than that. So you will have plenty of room to insert those two abilities into your build. Also, Arena PvP, don't even bother picking up Assassin's Strike...it's useless in Arena PvP. Your target will die long before you even set up for AS.

Your job as the Stalker in Arena PvP is to Stun your target, so that your team can obliterate your target in milliseconds. That is your only function. So you want your biggest hitter that also stuns/slows/Immobs, whatever you have to stop your target long enough for your team to obliterate your target.

When you enter the world of Arena PvP, you enter a whole different type of PvP. It's not the same as Zone PvP at all and requires a completely different build to be a productive member of your team.

You are probably asking why not Psionic. The answer is, simply put, most of that damage is Smashing damage. Very little of it is actual Psionic damage. However, if you like it, take it.

Psi is 74% psi damage, except for the T9 AoE which is all smashing.  Also all damage from crits, and insight is completely psi (even on the T9) is all psionic.

You are probably asking why not Psionic. The answer is, simply put, most of that damage is Smashing damage. Very little of it is actual Psionic damage. However, if you like it, take it.

Psi is 74% psi damage, except for the T9 AoE which is all smashing.  Also all damage from crits, and insight is completely psi (even on the T9) is all psionic.

Yeah, I learned that the day after posting it. However, I also know Psi is commonly and highly resisted in end game, so I left the original comment be. Might as well be all lethal damage with how much end game npc's resist it.

There is actually a complaint thread on these forums somewhere, where people are noticing their dps is weak compared to others.

With this in mind, I felt no reason to change my post about Psi Stalkers.

That's too bad, I thought I'd found the 'just right' set for my stalker until I read up on grounded.  Back to searching for the right secondary!

Picking up Acrobatics and Combat Jumping will fix that hole. If you are building just for Arena, then you only need one big hitter and a follow up...you will never have time to get off anything more than that. So you will have plenty of room to insert those two abilities into your build. Also, Arena PvP, don't even bother picking up Assassin's Strike...it's useless in Arena PvP. Your target will die long before you even set up for AS.

Your job as the Stalker in Arena PvP is to Stun your target, so that your team can obliterate your target in milliseconds. That is your only function. So you want your biggest hitter that also stuns/slows/Immobs, whatever you have to stop your target long enough for your team to obliterate your target.

When you enter the world of Arena PvP, you enter a whole different type of PvP. It's not the same as Zone PvP at all and requires a completely different build to be a productive member of your team.

Zone or Arena, you should always take Assassin Strike. Always.

When have you ever seen a stalker use Assassin Strike in Arena? I would love to see video of this.

Wait, I saved you the trouble. Found one here

I found this instantly. I seen him use Assassin Strike, however, let's notice that when he uses it, it is used out of hide with no bonus damage. He is using AS at its weakest state. He was better off not using it at all.

So if you want to use AS, I say do go for it...however, if I am building STRICTLY for Arena, I would not pick up AS, I would find something in its place that would benefit my team more than AS does in that setting.

P.S. Follow this up with Reply #21

When have you ever seen a stalker use Assassin Strike in Arena? I would love to see video of this.

Video uploader is Unholy Weapon on his stalker, Im the other stalker on his team.

Video uploader is Unholy Weapon on his stalker, Im the other stalker on his team.

Read above post.

Actually, I take that back, with the IO that grants hide, placing it in your opener, if the Hide Procs, then yes, AS would work. Sorry, did not even think about that. This Hide Proc is still a new concept to me. It did not exist when last I played.

P.S. I was once a Stalker Guru, I studied the class like a Scientist. Damn...my knowledge is so outdated.  :(  That's why I depend on other Stalkers to update me.  :)

AS has always been the primary function of stalkers in the arena since before IOs even existed. The entire villain ladder was based around stalkers landing the massive unresisted damage from AS to open up potential for corruptors to finish the target off with scourge. The only time in arena PvP I can remember AS not being relevant was dueling in the old PvP system on something like an em/regen, or during i15-i16 where there was a variant of a psi/em jump team that used two stalkers sharking. Stalkers have historically taken AS on arena builds, and any stalker that didn't have AS would have been absolutely laughed at in any higher level PvP environment (I'm not saying that's right or encouraging laughing at other players builds, but it absolutely would have happened).

Using a stalker to stun targets would be really inefficient because

1. Other things can stun more reliably from range

2. Those other things can stun for longer

3. If your team stuns something, it's the perfect time for a stalker to AS that thing, but the stalker can't do that if he's the one that stunned it

For an all around PvE/PvP build, EA seems by far the best secondary. It's already the best secondary in PvP, and a PvP built EA stalker will still have soft capped defenses in PvE, so it should transition pretty well.

For primaries, it doesn't matter as much, but psi and stj are pretty good.

Here is a (semi) recent 8 v 8 Video that I was a stalker in.  Sadly not my PoV, but you can hear the call outs and see me zipping around and catch the end results of the match.

If you aren't AS'ing as stalker  you are wasting your potential on the character, it should be consistently half the HP of a ranged DPS's health in one attack meaning you don't need all that much follow up. Or it is a half HP finisher if you are on the target just a bit late.

With a complete lack of mez protection (and only mez resistance) in PvP you can set up stalker AS'es pretty easy off of whatever if you fire the mez just before someone plants on a jump.  Beyond that with more procs going off in longer recharge, longer animating powers (Bitter freeze ray) people will set up themselves up for free AS'es without even needing any set up.