Macros vs Binds

Shenanigunner

I have always preferred keybinds to macros, but in yacking with players and the community I found that there's a faction that sees macros as the way to manage special commands, while leaving the key mapping largely the same.

So today I wrote a cute lil' macro to combine Rest with a team message (so the wankers don't run off to the next battle while their big gun is catching up). Works great.

But then I realized the big difference between the two, and the big, big drawback of macros: you can't save them. You can't easily transfer them to other alts or players. If you accidentally delete one (which, of course, I have never ever done), it's gone forever. Binds have a whole set of management tools built in. (OTOH, macros are a tad easier to edit on the fly.)

Macros have their place, especially in rolling-tray command sets. But they're written on the wind, as it were...

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

There is a windows mod that gives you a custom macro window that shows up for every character. You only have to make the macro once, then all characters will have it.

It’s not a mod (3rd party app), but rather customization option built into the game.

Here’s the Link - https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1471.msg35114.html#msg35114

So with this link it is actually easier to save your macros then your binds, because you don’t even have to remember to load a file.

That said, here’s the pro’s and con’s as I see them:

Binds:

Better for keyboard access

Easy to edit a bind file in notepad

Handles multiple commands in a single bind better (macro’s just don’t behave as well, not sure why)

Supports muliple bind files in a single bind (huge plus)

Macros:

Using customwindow

• loads automatically into new character
  • allows whole words in icon
  • always in sync when changes are made
  • potential con:  another window taking up real estate, but with higher screen resolutions this is less an issue (unless you have bad eyes like me and can’t play at higher resolution

Mouse friendly

Visual reminders of where that function is (with Binds you just have to remember what the keybind is)

So for me, it’s just about a wash.

I use both because there are only so many keybinds I can remember, so I supplement the rest with Macros

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Well, there are nine trays you can stack macros in. That's not too big a limitation.

The game having solid built-in support for bind management is a huge plus, IMHO. Manually writting, saving and loading macros from offline sources is... good, but not nearly as seamless. They're also dependent on search-and-activate, which is an unnecessary hurdle in combat situations. I know I'm a lot faster with a key combo than finding, pointing and clicking a little screen dot when the fur's flying.

As for remembering binds, anything that starts with the original key mapping is going to be a disaster. That's why I rewrote mine over years and now offer the polished, modern-era, intuitive GABB model as a much better starting point. It even comes with a cheat-sheet. :)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Well, there are nine trays you can stack macros in. That's not too big a limitation.

The game having solid built-in support for bind management is a huge plus, IMHO. Manually writting, saving and loading macros from offline sources is... good, but not nearly as seamless. They're also dependent on search-and-activate, which is an unnecessary hurdle in combat situations. I know I'm a lot faster with a key combo than finding, pointing and clicking a little screen dot when the fur's flying.

As for remembering binds, anything that starts with the original key mapping is going to be a disaster. That's why I rewrote mine over years and now offer the polished, modern-era, intuitive GABB model as a much better starting point. It even comes with a cheat-sheet. :)

As for Macros, if you click the link in my prior post, there are instructions for building a custom Macro window (distinct from power trays) that is persistent across all characters on that Accout/PC, and changes to one macro are also persistent.  In addition, you have more room on the macro button for descriptive text.  As far as setup and maintenance this is actually easier (caveat:  I did say same PC).  And some people just prefer a visual cue.

Binds definitely can do more than Macros, so I like both.  And while I appreciate the work on GABB model keyboard, i’m too familiar with my existing layout to enjoy a massive overhaul, regardless of how intuitive it is (the learning curve would just be painful for me).

I do love the guide, and use it as a reference all the time.  It would be nice if that was stickied as well in these forums.  And you’d probably get more traction on the keyboard if it was part of a stickied post instead of only in the guide.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Adding custom windows is a pretty advanced technique, up there with editing PIGG files and the like. I use some of those techniques myself, but I'd hesitate at recommending them to novice and average players.

I'm not at all down on macros - I just think they are used as a general solution in many cases where a bind would be far more effective.

The GABB bindset doesn't change most of the main gameplay keys. It just clears out all the bizarre old comma, semicolon, Alt-F-this stuff and sorts the functions into sensible intuitive order. Removing a lot of keys that if accidentally hit will screw up a battle is part of it. Putting a full array of chat responses on intuitive keys is another.

But I fully understand staying with something living in your digital memory. :)

Adding custom windows is a pretty advanced technique, up there with editing PIGG files and the like. I use some of those techniques myself, but I'd hesitate at recommending them to novice and average players.

I'm not at all down on macros - I just think they are used as a general solution in many cases where a bind would be far more effective.

I don’t think you are down on Macros at all.  They well documented in your guide.  And the one you posted yesterday on Rest was great as well.

As for the custom windows it’s getting a bad wrap

1.) Add one folder to you CoH installation

2.) execute One slash command

3.) Click once on New custom window

4.) Drag Macros onto new menu bar

Done

I’d argue that’s easier than setting up a set of keybind files

Awright, awright, pal - Arena. Now. Macros vs Binds: the Final Showdown. :D

The truly great thing about this insanely multilayered game is that 'whatever works, works.'

Awright, awright, pal - Arena. Now. Macros vs Binds: the Final Showdown. :D

The truly great thing about this insanely multilayered game is that 'whatever works, works.'

Lol - thanks for the back and forth!  +1 Inf

I use certain keybinds for all my characters...(F for fly, H for heal, etc) numpad keys are linked to Renewal of Light, Fortune, Reveal, Secondary Mutation, Inner Inspiration,etc) I keep my Macros in my custom window for easy access. You can add tons of macros there, as the window is scroll-able. This has worked best for me.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I'm just a lazy bum and don't use macros or keybinds aside from odd ones here and there for specific characters.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I'm just a lazy bum and don't use macros or keybinds aside from odd ones here and there for specific characters.

Slacker!

Annnnd... I lived with my pretty little Rest macro for two days before realizing it worked better, was easier to manage and paired with a cancel bind better as a bind.

But macro away, folks, macro away... :)

Annnnd... I lived with my pretty little Rest macro for two days before realizing it worked better, was easier to manage and paired with a cancel bind better as a bind.

But macro away, folks, macro away... :)

Tomato, tomato

Tomato, tomato

Hey, I even tried a rolling-macro setup today, to switch a difficult power using two tray slots in swapping trays. What a PITA to manage. Again, a simple bind worked better.

I give you Maslow's Law. :D

Tomato, tomato

Hey, I even tried a rolling-macro setup today, to switch a difficult power using two tray slots in swapping trays. What a PITA to manage. Again, a simple bind worked better.

I give you Maslow's Law. :D

I've always said binds were WAY better at managing the complex stuff....  For the record I use both, but lean more heavily on binds...