copyrighted chars and npcs in game

cparks7040

Rocketeur is a unique property. The fact he gets called out for being a rocketeer "rip-off" is ludicrous. THAT character had jodhpurs. There is not even a jodhpurs option in COH. HE also didn't have Lore Pets, or a 5th column assault rifle, possessed any incarnate powers or his own hidden SG base, and I know this because I own about 150 Dave Stevens comic books and read them almost religiously. The fact that I have a full (comic version) cosplay outfit, home-made rocket pack and several custom made helms based on some movie version are purely coincidental. 

And neither the Rocketeer or myself (in costume) were ever punched through a time-tunnel into Paragon City. So as you can see, your arguments are completely unfounded and without any merit.

And if any DEVs are reading this, I've been meaning to ask you...Can we get a Jodhpurs option in the costume designer? Thank you!

Edited by Rocketeur
creeping apostrophes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

15 hours ago, cparks7040 said:

I think  speak for all of us when I say we are all gateful to have COH back. im not a lawyer or versed on legal stuff as far as coprights. however I would like to encourge people to not make copyrighted chars using their name or likeness. I dont know who makes the comic con fire farms but I would also encourge those people to change the npcs costumes. I would hate for the game to be shut down because of people using copyrighted chars, it was strickly enforced during live for a reason and I think we should respect that.

Get over it. People will play however they like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, subbacultchas said:

True. And I shouldn't be so flippant, new folks are probably not aware of the older threads debating this, and might not think to search for them. Also, we have had some GM's chiming in so it's not exactly a thread that went nowhere.

But man, something in my stomach flips a little when I log in and see a new one.

The only reason people are not aware of the earlier discussion is because they could not be bothered to look.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Rocketeur said:

And if any DEVs are reading this, I've been meaning to ask you...Can we get a Jodhpurs option in the costume designer? Thank you!

For female characters, one of the Gunslinger pants options may come close. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I feel this way every year when school starts and traffic is suddenly a mess.

I have never had kids, never been on the school cadence, gets me everytime, suddenly one day traffic sucks for two months while everyone learns new routes and learns to drive to HS.

I often forget what I have known for years is new to a whole lot of people.

I try to rememebr that when I interact with them...I fail often...

We all do that. Sometimes when I'm getting bombarded in game with questions about slotting, pine's, unique IO's, incarnates, and stuff like that I want to yell at folks, "You have the same resources I do, look it up!"

So you are not abnormal in this at all. I think for me, since I work a reference service point every day just to keep me on my toes with how people search, I'm a bit more inured to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I label FUD when I see it.

You label FUD, whenever anyone advises even a [b[modicum[/b] of caution, or suggests that there might possibly be any reason to restrain one's behavior.

7 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Self-restraint and caution are two of things I live my life by, but I base them on facts, not FUD.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cough: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :wheeze: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

So when you were a kid, you and your friends dressed up and played as "Generic Hero Guy XYZ123"?  Or did you pretend to be Batman, Superman, Spider-Man etc.?

When I was small - 4, 5, 6 years old - and I and my friends played superheroes, I wasn't Superman or Batman.  I was Super Sean.  I didn't want to be anyone else, I wanted to be me (but with super-powers).

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

9 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

You label FUD, whenever anyone advises even a [b[modicum[/b] of caution, or suggests that there might possibly be any reason to restrain one's behavior.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cough: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :wheeze: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When I was small - 4, 5, 6 years old - and I and my friends played superheroes, I wasn't Superman or Batman.  I was Super Sean.  I didn't want to be anyone else, I wanted to be me (but with super-powers).

I have used a lot of self restraint and editting in posting here...what I have allowed through the filter is mild...I would have long been banned had I exposed my true thoughts on some of the topics we discuss...

You seem to take FUD as some sort of extreme thing, when it can be minor, even as it remains the reason for people to do things, you seem to think it only means 'shaking in your shoes weak at the knees' fear when I use the term...always find it odd...equally odd that you seem to want to go out of your way to pick a fight with me...just odd...

FUD keeps humans alive, it keeps us safe from the horrors of the world.

It also clouds our judgement and logical thinking, in large and small ways.

The only thing I recall right now wanting to be as a kid was The Six Million Dollar Man and An Airplane - for the longest time, I wanted to be an airplane, not a pilot, the plane.

Typing that sentence makes me want go make a Steve Austin/Jet Plane Transformer...

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

I have used a lot of self restraint and editting in posting here...what I have allowed through the filter is mild...I would have long been banned had I exposed my true thoughts on some of the topics we discuss...

... you mean, like when you told me you had sent notices to Marvel, DC, and Disney about infringing characters here, courting disaster intentionally, just to try and piss in everyone else's wheaties, afte the last copyright discussion?

That kind of restraint?

Edited by PaxArcana
Mistaken identity

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

14 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

... you mean, like when you told me you had sent notices to Marvel, DC, and Disney about infringing characters here, courting disaster intentionally, just to try and piss in everyone else's wheaties, afte the last copyright discussion?

That kind of restraint?

I have no clue what you are talking about?

I have never sent notices to any company, about, well, anything, other than you know, as work, because I build stuff for companies...

When did I say this? 

Where?

Mistaken identity, my apologies.  I could have sworn it was you ... it was one of hte other rabid "stop whining about copyright" posters.

I'm having a very difficult time caring about any of the hatred people decide to spew out about the moral implications of having a homage character, when much of the 'originals' running around either look like they're straight out of WoW, Assassin's Creed etc. Not to mention the horrible color combinations, the pencil thin females with the big boobs, the black characters obviously made by white men because of the overexcessive use of 'chocolate' and 'molasses' in the names, toons running around with names like Gangbang and whatever other demeaning expletive is deemed 'funny af' by whatever infantile mind that SO CREATIVELY came up with this crap.

So take your moral high stances and shove it somewhere, because this entire topic seems to always include self serving idiots who, when the shoe is on the other foot, are just as defensive about THEIR rights, and THEIR nonexistent creativity. It's all pixels, and if you define yourself over what kind of character you create maybe you should go outside and breath some air and get lost in the woods.

Edited by Rodumas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rodumas said:

I'm having a very difficult time caring about any of the hatred people decide to spew out about the moral implications of having a homage character, when much of the 'originals' running around either look like they're straight out of WoW, Assassin's Creed etc. Not to mention the horrible color combinations, the pencil thin females with the big boobs, the black characters obviously made by white men because of the overexcessive use of 'chocolate' and 'molasses' in the names, toons running around with names like Gangbang and whatever other demeaning expletive is deemed 'funny af' by whatever infantile mind that SO CREATIVELY came up with this crap:

So take your moral high stances and shove it somewhere, because this entire topic seems to always include self serving idiots who, when the shoe is on the other foot, are just as defensive about THEIR rights, and THEIR nonexistent creativity. It's all pixels, and if you define yourself over what kind of character you create maybe you should go outside and breath some air and get lost in the woods.

I pretty much just let others live their lives.  I do agree that there are some "original" characters that are very offensive, but that's a separate issue.  I've seen some very good homage characters that are just different enough to be original in their own right, (heck, that series 'The Boys' practically lives on that).  I think the only thing that bugs me, personally, are the poorly done ripoffs, because you can create some really good ones - but just selecting huge with green skin, purple trunks, and calling yourself "Huuuuuuulk" is boring, IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

I pretty much just let others live their lives.  I do agree that there are some "original" characters that are very offensive, but that's a separate issue.  I've seen some very good homage characters that are just different enough to be original in their own right, (heck, that series 'The Boys' practically lives on that).  I think the only thing that bugs me, personally, are the poorly done ripoffs, because you can create some really good ones - but just selecting huge with green skin, purple trunks, and calling yourself "Huuuuuuulk" is boring, IMO.

I agree, and I always compliment a really well done homage toon, just as I would any other original toon should they ever cross my way. Whether its an exact copy or something jushed up a lil extra. Maybe I'm just too old to be worried about things that dont directly interfer with my quality of life.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodumas said:

I agree, and I always compliment a really well done homage toon, just as I would any other original toon should they ever cross my way. Whether its an exact copy or something jushed up a lil extra. Maybe I'm just too old to be worried about things that dont directly interfer with my quality of life.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm only bothered by these poorly made copies because I view them as a missed opportunity, (honestly - there are some truly creative people in this community that have posted amazing costumes).  If copyright holder A has an issue with HC, let them contact the devs directly.  I'm not here to police other people...

13 minutes ago, biostem said:

I agree.  I too find people rolling a green skinned purple trunk toon named some variation of Hulk boring.  However, who am I to judge?  If that is what makes that player happy, more power to them.

7 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I agree.  I too find people rolling a green skinned purple trunk toon named some variation of Hulk boring.  However, who am I to judge?  If that is what makes that player happy, more power to them.

Granted... but that's why I said "it bugs ME"... :-P

3 hours ago, Rodumas said:

I'm having a very difficult time caring about any of the hatred people decide to spew out about the moral implications of having a homage character, when much of the 'originals' running around either look like they're straight out of WoW, Assassin's Creed etc. Not to mention the horrible color combinations, the pencil thin females with the big boobs, the black characters obviously made by white men because of the overexcessive use of 'chocolate' and 'molasses' in the names, toons running around with names like Gangbang and whatever other demeaning expletive is deemed 'funny af' by whatever infantile mind that SO CREATIVELY came up with this crap.

Anyone that has a moral objection to homage characters while playing on a pirate server is a hypocrite.

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

First off can we get a sticky as to what constitutes copyright infringement?  I don't get what does and does not.  I'll throw out some examples:

The character is named Superman, has the S logo (somehow) but the costume colors are white and green with cape?

The character is named Mr. America, looks like Captain America mostly (including colors) but has the shield with stripes as the logo instead of the white star?

The other part I don't get is, say Mr. America's original costume I just mentioned is too close and is considered copyright infringement, but the other 5 costumes are not?  What then?  No, I don't want to hear "we'll know it when we see it".  That doesn't work because this should be common knowledge for people to avoid (assuming they actually try and look this stuff up).

7 minutes ago, Xeres said:

First off can we get a sticky as to what constitutes copyright infringement? 

Not needed at this point.  There is a GM response to this at the top of this thread - there is no policyagainst characters, Architect Entertainment missions, supergroup bases, etc. that copy or make homage to other people's trademarks.

Should that ever change, then it might be needed. 

10 minutes ago, Xeres said:

First off can we get a sticky as to what constitutes copyright infringement?  I don't get what does and does not.  I'll throw out some examples:

The character is named Superman, has the S logo (somehow) but the costume colors are white and green with cape?

The character is named Mr. America, looks like Captain America mostly (including colors) but has the shield with stripes as the logo instead of the white star?

The other part I don't get is, say Mr. America's original costume I just mentioned is too close and is considered copyright infringement, but the other 5 costumes are not?  What then?  No, I don't want to hear "we'll know it when we see it".  That doesn't work because this should be common knowledge for people to avoid (assuming they actually try and look this stuff up).

Copyright law is too complex and what is considered infringement is often very subjective, so a sticky wouldn't really be able to clarify much. 

What is considered infringement can vary wildly depending on the judge or jury and how the choose to interpret it. Sure some things are pretty obvious, like sharing movies via torrents. But when it comes to things like fair use and homages it's very often unclear until there is a court ruling. And that's just in the United States. Canada and Europe have their own laws and exceptions.