Homecoming Team News (May 8th): Pack your bags, we're going to Canada!

GM Tempest

• 2 weeks later

I played a LOT back in the day. I'm dead smack in the middle of the USA in Missouri. I played on both US and UK servers to play with friends. I visited some friends in Finland and we played several Leagues (multiple teams combined for the newbies out there) with my buds back in the US in FW and such without any issues beyond normal issues that are unavoidable in CoH just due to its architecture... like invasions and everything else which just makes it hliariously fun - so many effects and entities popping off, combined with everyone being sidekicked up or down / all the mobs adjusting for every player... it's insanity on steroids and just fun x infinity.

Seriously, just relax already. Other than Canadians themselves... we're all going to have the same fun experience we've always had, and not really notice much change. Canuks might notice a LITTLE bit during high server loads. Although that's even debatable.

I had a lan party last weekend with some friends, and their friends (I have Verizon wireless internet. Figured out I can't host an internet server) - we had about 30+ people going on my 48 port switch in the basement. Had to bring out all the tables. I got the i25 server from the Ouro site up and running.

Even on a local LAN, with the Halloween event running, we would get a bit of sliding / rubber banding on some machines when we were all fighting a zombie spawn, or one of the spook banners (damn I can't remember what they're called. haha). I forgot how much fun door knocks were in big teams :)

So, TL;DR - relax. It'll be ok :D

• 2 weeks later

I thought the Netherlands were chosen due to their more "liberal" policies in terms of permitting this kind of server that might be "illegal" in some countries, and its distances from both the US and Korea. Doesn't moving your servers to Canada put you both physically and legally closer to NCSoft America, and the legal dangers they pose? I mean, I appreciate a greater ping time as much as the next player, but I want to make sure Homecoming sticks around for the long term!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I am not a Lawyer and this is all just info I pulled from reddit.

Apparently there's a specific Canadian province that has some really funky internet privacy laws that pretty much makes it a safe haven for all things private-server related. Something about the parent company having to prove they handled personal data 'up to spec' before they can do anything. Which.. given the potential user data leak; is going to be a catastrophe for NCSoft from the word "Go"

Sadly I cannot find the 'source' (but I read it on multiple occasions, and even once about Epic Games an account hacking incident)  nor do I remember the specific province, but maybe this can serve to give you a little peace of mind. Homecoming seems to know what they're doing. There's got to be a reason they chose Canada, and that specific host etc.

Also, as a US user I have not experienced any detrimental ping outside of rubber banding once in awhile. Unless the servers were about to croak. So I suspect Ping for the EU users should be fine.

The Homecoming Team is awesome. I trust their decisions cause they are on top of it!

"Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied."​

I'm on the EU server from Norway, and I'm getting frequent and long times of lag spikes with excessive rubberbanding - turning the game somewhere between unpleasant and unplayable. I played on the old servers back in the day, and though rubberbanding was an issue, it was nowhere as bad as it is now, and it has become worse recently.