Do you want to build a powerset...?

Agony

Looking at the amount of time going into posts like these, I have to stop myself from constantly asking why people aren’t just playing instead.

It must be terrible not to be able to play at work.

Yes... yes it is...

bpiuZI4.gif

• Haha 1
I'm out.

Personally, I would love to see the pool power sets expanded on.  I know that before NCSoft closed the doors, there were plans for other pools beyond Sorcery, including:

• Experimentation
  • Force of Will
  • Gadgetry
  • Utility Belt

Oh how many of us wanted that utility belt...

Beyond that, I remember there being talk of an Air Control powerset for Controllers and Dominators.  I would love to see that realized.

1) Whip (Melee Weapon)

Based on the Attacks from Demon Summoning, range around titan weapons, hits less hard and is faster, also -res(lethal) and lethal dmg roughly. You could also make a mechanic similar to momentum increasing animation speed slightly on follow up attacks.

2) Pet Customization for all including incarnate powers

Limited customization options for pets keeping them a) in theme but b) unique!

Agree with all these, and would like a proper Spear and Shield combo set please? With proper spear thrust animations etc as per Greek hoplites, African tribesmen, etc. Because no, a spear is not just a type of staff, and I don't think I've ever seen a computer game get it right except maybe Mount & Blade.

Crossbow weapon option and flail for the same reason, please.

On a related note, more weapon styles to represent different historical cultures would be greatly appreciated by me, so Aztec macuahuitl, NA tomahawks and gunstock clubs, Aboriginal boomerang, Greek discus and sling, Chinese flying guillotine, Japanese sai, European flail and holy water sprinkler (yes, that's a type of weapon), Roman gladiator trident and net, Indian flexible coiling sword, period muskets and arquebus, etc. You get the idea. Plus historical armour and costume pieces appropriate. PLEASE, take my money and give me all dat.

I always thought a mastermind based on in-game factions would be fun and cheap art assets whether longbow mastermind or circle of thorns mastermind

....and clowns

....and limited customization of pets. I was told this was never a possibility

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Of course I'd love to see content partially developed by the community - it would be a massive boon to content. 

Will this reasonably happen?

I think it's probably unrealistic to expect new powers and stuff like that, as many resources - programming, art, animation, etc - as they require.

And a couple of the suggestions I know aren't possible - the Cryptic and Paragon teams apparently tried for years to get shapeshifting and size alteration working and it was just a no go in the CoX engine, and they said Speed Melee wasn't really viable because they made speed a movement power.

As someone who has actually added hundreds of additional powers to another private MMO server (not COH) its really not that difficult, you dont NEED to make anything new, you can just take all the parts you have available and assemble them in a different way. If you look through the existing sets you can see the same animations but in a different context which makes them look "different" then you can dress it up with glows or impacts, activation timers and SFX and voila, new sets, inserting new effects isnt even hard.

Bespoke animations and sound however, I couldnt tell you how hard it is to do.

I always thought a mastermind based on in-game factions would be fun and cheap art assets whether longbow mastermind or circle of thorns mastermind

....and clowns

....and limited customization of pets. I was told this was never a possibility

This is both a great and a bad idea.  Bad because there are plenty of factions to choose from, and how do you choose which gets represented and which don't?  Especially when you get into the whole alignment thing and suddenly you've got heroes leading villain pets around and villains leading heroic pets...  It's always best to keep player options as neutral as possible.  Mercenaries are generic and could easily be working for either side.  A good necromancer?  I suppose, but he won't get along with the Banished Pantheon and their undead.  Ninjas?  Sure... just not Tsoo, because they've got their own agenda.  And so on.

That said...

• I could see a nature/elements set based on creatures from the Devouring Earth group as player pets.  Maybe reshade their textures so they're independent of that faction.
  • Another good possibility is the Clockwork.  Because they're machines, they could be reprogrammed or otherwise influenced to serve an agenda outside the main body of Clockwork.  Hell, we can all have one of those if we want one anyhow with the prestige power buff pet options.
  • How about Zig Prisoners?  You could be their liberator and they've sworn their loyalty to you?
  • Another untapped resource I think would cool would be monsters.  No, not giant monsters --the Halloween monsters.  Zombies, ghosts, vampires... that sort of thing.  It can be an undead alternative to standard necromancy.
  • Witches... yes, we've got witches in the Halloween monsters and witches in Croatoa, but the wonderful thing about witches is there can be multiple covens.  Player witch pets would be a small coven controlled by the player character.
  • Same thing with werewolves...  player pets are just part of a small pack.  Maybe the tier 9 power could let the player turn into a werewolf kind of like how stone armor transforms player into a granite form.
  • There's some precedent for faeries out there with Croatoa.  For pets, we could go with red caps, the little faerie prestige buff pet model, and those little glowing orbs of light (wisps?)
  • I've never paid much attention to the Coralax, so what's the story with them --could they be divorced from the whole of that NPC faction as a group of mutant sea monsters?  Maybe with some reshading of their textures they could be repurposed into a generic creature from the black lagoon type group of pets.
  • And finally, I'll say it again... I brought it up several times on the old forums, but what about illusions?  Illusion is the one control set dominators don't get for some reason, giving controllers a monopoly on that kind of power.  Maybe bring the illusion pets into a MM set.  Your buffs would just be upgrading their fearsome auras, and the set also boasts a couple of useful ranged attacks for the player to use.

That's my two cents.

You can't do Clockwork, because they aren't actually programmed... The Clockwork King was actually always controlling them and hiding their bits together with his mind. Without him, they are pieces of junk.

I'm out.

You can't do Clockwork, because they aren't actually programmed... The Clockwork King was actually always controlling them and hiding their bits together with his mind. Without him, they are pieces of junk.

Build your own that look just like C.K.'s?

There's more than one type of Clockwork...

And there is the most sincere form of flattery.

• Like 1

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Given Spidey is my all time favourite superhero, I would love to see a web-based powerset, along with swinging for travel. Not sure if the engine could do it as it stands however. Plus I know it could bring down the wrath of Di$ney, ahem. But I miss this mechanic hugely from Marvel Heroes RIP...sigh

Game over man, game over!

Given Spidey is my all time favourite superhero, I would love to see a web-based powerset, along with swinging for travel. Not sure if the engine could do it as it stands however. Plus I know it could bring down the wrath of Di$ney, ahem. But I miss this mechanic hugely from Marvel Heroes RIP...sigh

Spiderman is hardly the only hero to travel by such a method, nor does Marvel (which grants Disney) have sole copyright to such a technique.  If so, Champions Online would never have made it this long.

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I feel like Gravity Blast is well within reach with minimal design work needed. I was disappointed no official Gravity Blast set ever showed up in game. Some of the basic powers are there:

Lift/Levitate

Propel

Mass Levitate (could be made ranged)

Assuming some variety of Aim is in there, that leaves just a couple of powers to design. Minor variations from Energy Blast and maybe Sonic Blast would help fill the gaps. 

I had an idea I kicked around for a long while. Since pets always wind up in melee anyway, I wanted a melee designed MM set. So I picked Cimerorans. Including the MM going 'screw ranged powers, give me a sword' so he could get in there with his boys like any good field commander. I had a bunch of neat Latin terms I had looked up for things like the pet buffs, based on 'stuff from the Roman army'. And I think I threw in a power for the MM that gave them some 'resist things you find in melee' like Body Armor except, y'know, not crap. I'll have to look around my archives, see if I can find it. It was pretty neat, in my admittedly biased opinion.

I feel like Gravity Blast is well within reach with minimal design work needed. I was disappointed no official Gravity Blast set ever showed up in game. Some of the basic powers are there:

Lift/Levitate

Propel

Assuming some variety of Aim is in there, that leaves just a couple of powers to design. Minor variations from Energy Blast and maybe Sonic Blast would help fill the gaps.

I don't know about Gravity BLAST, but I'm pretty sure I put a Gravity Armor, and possibly a Gravity Melee in Lady_Jade's archived thread.  I'll see if I can track it down.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Of course I'd love to see content partially developed by the community - it would be a massive boon to content. 

Will this reasonably happen?

I think it's probably unrealistic to expect new powers and stuff like that, as many resources - programming, art, animation, etc - as they require.

And a couple of the suggestions I know aren't possible - the Cryptic and Paragon teams apparently tried for years to get shapeshifting and size alteration working and it was just a no go in the CoX engine, and they said Speed Melee wasn't really viable because they made speed a movement power.

As someone who has actually added hundreds of additional powers to another private MMO server (not COH) its really not that difficult, you dont NEED to make anything new, you can just take all the parts you have available and assemble them in a different way. If you look through the existing sets you can see the same animations but in a different context which makes them look "different" then you can dress it up with glows or impacts, activation timers and SFX and voila, new sets, inserting new effects isnt even hard.

Bespoke animations and sound however, I couldnt tell you how hard it is to do.

What game?

4fcCsZS.gif

Spiderman is hardly the only hero to travel by such a method, nor does Marvel (which grants Disney) have sole copyright to such a technique.  If so, Champions Online would never have made it this long.

Cheers, didn't play much of CO (only as a froob), so I guess it's a possibility...? Don't kill the dream mate! ;)

Game over man, game over!

Cheers, didn't play much of CO (only as a froob), so I guess it's a possibility...? Don't kill the dream mate! ;)

Not trying to kill it.  Just saying that Disney has better targets to go after right now than a private server of an otherwise defunct game.  So, quite the opposite of killing the dream.  The issue is the programming of such, not the legalities.

Lift/Levitate

Propel

I would suggest that one option that doesn't exist in any other set but could feasibly be pieced together from other sets would be to have a blast that is the opposite effect of propel that drags the target to the blaster, and does it so quick & painful like that it causes damage.  From there, the blaster could then use whatever melee range attacks they have available.

As for mechanics, I see it as something like a combination of Telekinesis and Teleport Foe plus DOT damage.  In essence, it would be similar to teleporting the foe to you, but should look more like Telekinesis in reverse, dragging them painfully toward you as they try to resist (and this being what causes the damage).  It should be able to be slotted with KB enhancers, but the knockback is actually knocking them forward toward the blaster.  Yes, it should be able to affect bosses, EBs, and AVs (I believe Teleport Foe does not), but only as much as Telekinesis is able to... meaning you really need to stack up your KB effect on some to overcome their resistance.  An initial strike use of this power shouldn't necessarily be effective on more powerful foes, but as it builds on them (and drains your Endurance), it should be able to kick in.

Why a blaster would WANT to drag an AV closer is beyond me and out of my swim lane.  Just saying, I could see that.

Why should this power get damage when Telekinesis does not?  I'm going to go for the simple game balance answer of:  Because it's a blast set power, not a control power.

Hmmm, let's see:

1.- Knife throwing for Blasters

2.- Ball and chain for scrappers, brutes and tanks

3.- Stone melee ported to scrappers

4.- Clowns Mastermind

5.- Crocodiles Mastermind

6.- Something with sharks with laser beams

7.- Getting rid of villain patron arcs to unlock the epic pools

8.- The powersets that appear on Pine's Hero Designer (Wind control and all the pool powers).

9.- Did I mention getting rid of villain patron arcs?

• Like 1

Hmmm, let's see:

1.- Knife throwing for Blasters

3.- Stone melee ported to scrappers

7.- Getting rid of villain patron arcs to unlock the epic pools

8.- The powersets that appear on Pine's Hero Designer (Wind control and all the pool powers).

9.- Did I mention getting rid of villain patron arcs?

1. I could see that.  While the Homecoming Team doesn't necessarily have the resources to build a whole new bunch of animations, we do have some stuff in the game that works already, including the knife throwing origin power for Naturals and shuriken throwing power (just replace the shurikens with knives).  Maybe play around with a couple other animations to build the powerset, and I'd see this one being viable.  Limitations:  No long range snipe, so something else would have to take it's place.

3. I get why this one never made it to scrappers, because it is extremely tanky with it's slow movement.  However, I will throw my 2 cents in here and suggest that Scrappers should get Energy Melee.  Also, while we're proliferating powersets, Illusion for Dominators.

7.  Agreed.  It's unfair heroes just get Ancillaries and villains have to unlock them.  Maybe if they had their own generic ancillaries in addition to those locked ones, and heroes have their standard ancillaries plus some locked epics as well...  that would be different.

8.  Yes, we need Wind Control plus pools like Gadgetry and Utility Belt.  All those things that were discussed prior to the shutdown.

9.  Yes, but keep going.  "Squeaky wheel gets the kick!" -Minsc

• 3 months later

I need to go through this thread and add the ideas to my compilation threads...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation