Has anyone used VorpX with City of Heroes?

• 2 weeks later

I got it working on my Samsung Odyssey Plus. Immersive mode seems to be the best for me. VR mode worked fine but it locks out the specific 3D rendering options. Its basically a gigantic screen with depth in all three modes. In VR mode head tracking was annoying; kept having to use Edge Peek to activate powers and read/use chat. Haven't tested cave maps but I had no problem navigating my base and sewer missions. My big issue right now is sub 60 FPS; looks like Steam VR is capping my headset at 60Hz vs the 90Hz my headset is capable of delivering.

To set it up I had to get WMR, WMR for Steam, and Steam VR. Fired up CoX, waited to resume Watcher (VorpX) until I was in game. VorpX kept pooping out while attaching to CoX. No errors but I preemptively blocked my AV from stopping anything in the VorpX folder. Fired up CoX again and saw WMR, WMR for Steam VR and Steam VR fire right up automatically.

Edited by 5099y_74c05

• 1 year later

I'd be interested in playing CoH either in a VR theater mode or something similar. Wondering if anyone else has had more experience in this and if they enjoy it / how playable it is? I have a Samsung Odyssey + similar to @5099y_74c05.

Everlasting | Hullbreak - Tanker / Amarillo Starlight - Defender / Luna Spector - Controller / Captain Perplex - Corruptor / Brixton Jack - Blaster

10 minutes ago, Drakwatch said:

I'd be interested in playing CoH either in a VR theater mode or something similar. Wondering if anyone else has had more experience in this and if they enjoy it / how playable it is? I have a Samsung Odyssey + similar to @5099y_74c05.

Did you have any specific questions? Have you purchased VorpX yet?

Set up was minimally difficult, its mostly plug and play from what I experienced. Minor tweaking was involved. It runs great on my craptacular system too.

I haven't been gaming much lately but last I played it was playable in all the modes except Full VR. Full VR looks surprisingly great and gave the game the most depth. Temper your expectations as you wont get true VR, especially in 3rd person view games. There are a few other hurdles for presenting in Full VR, mainly anticheat for online games and OPENGL support. Again If full VR is the expectation I wouldn't recommend VorpX just to play CoX but for the other modes you desire its a pretty good experience.

Full VR would be my preferred mode to play in but I could never get the controls to work correctly. From what I remember the main issue I had was with the head movement causing character rotation and the screen tracking with this movement at the same time. In other modes head movement pans your personal field of view of the stationary screen, VR pans the the character's PoV and moves the screen at the same time. This caused issues with viewing chat and powertrays. Full VR is a very large screen so your power tray and chat would be pinned below your desk's surface top. The only way to read chat and view your power tray is to move them to the middle or using VorpX's Peek function. Peek locks the character PoV and partially locks the screen to allow you to look at the corners. Unfortunately I couldn't get Peek to work as a toggle. Activating power tray icons and reading chat was difficult and it wasn't optimal for fluid gameplay on my set up.

I ended up in Immersive mode, which worked best for me. Immersive mode seems to widen the field of view as if it pushed the camera back and up. Adjustment allow you to move the screen back or forward and curve the screen to make it more concaved. Basically you have a lot of options to play with in optimizing FoV.

Overall I like both the Samsung and VorpX, its been a great experience I just wish I could find the best settings for Full VR.

@5099y_74c05 , I'm mostly looking at playing the game in a theater mode, so immersive mode seems to be the most promising to me. I have not purchased or used Vorpx at all yet. It sounds cool, and from the way you describe it, it seems like it has a lot of versatility if you put the time and effort into it. (Plus Full VR sounds awesome for other games that I own that don't natively support it.) Would you recommend Vorpx for immersive mode alone? Do you have any other recommendations?

Edited by Drakwatch
fixed tag

Everlasting | Hullbreak - Tanker / Amarillo Starlight - Defender / Luna Spector - Controller / Captain Perplex - Corruptor / Brixton Jack - Blaster

4 hours ago, Drakwatch said:

Would you recommend Vorpx for immersive mode alone? 

I would ask if its worth $40 dollars to VR most games in your library and is it something that will get use?

I love the enhanced 3D visuals for CoX, especially with the "comic outlined" mode (I forget what it is called). Flying through the city and the Shadow Shard is fun as is combat. Caves can be a pain as the features don't always pop.

Wearing a VR headset long term (anything over 2 hour ) is the issue for me. Even with mods to improve comfort I get headaches or sore spots on any contact points. I never had this issue but some folks have eye strain too.

4 hours ago, Drakwatch said:

Do you have any other recommendations?

There was another VR software company I looked at but they didn't support OPENGL which is what CoX runs if I am not mistaken. So technical constraints are the limiting factor on what you can use.

Edited by 5099y_74c05
  • Like 1

If you watched the VorpX in 2020 video you'll understand my comment better. I was never able to get VorpX to enable the Z Buffer options with CoX so it doesn't have the layered 3D presentation. The "3D" is basically a shift of perspective on a big screen. It definitely doesn't do Geometry 3D. I also had to tweak many settings in the graphics to dial in the performance.

I would try his suggestion in the video first and use CoX in the virtual desktop first. Test gameplay that way so you don't have to spend $40 to find out you don't like it.

• Like 2