Ice Patch and Hidden

LeapingLemur

Hello! So I built a concept toon that needed to be an ice/ice stalker and I have yet to figure one thing out in particular. 

It seems that there is an inconsistency with Ice Patch and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the pattern is. Most of the time it does NOT take me out of HIdden. Once in a while, usually while soloing, it does. I've no idea what the mechanisms behind this are. 

Anyone else with more knowledge on this?

Is it possible it doesn’t break hide if you drop it without hitting any enemies, and then it breaks hide if you drop it at their feet?   

I am pretty sure this is what happens with burn.  If I drop it without hitting anything it doesn’t break hide. If I drop it at their feet it breaks hide.  

Guardian survivor

Sort of, but the initial effect is considered to originate from the stalker, not the pseudo pet. This is what I believe happens, but I have not read the code myself so I can not be certain:

If you drop an ice patch in the middle of a group of mobs, it immediately checks for to-hit on it's built-in knockdown. This to-hit chance is static and not affected by any other accuracy or to-hit chance, exactly like a proc effect. It is actually pretty low, but ice patch pulses quite quickly.

If that initial tohit chance succeeds, then whatever mob is hit with the KD is assumed to be attacked by the stalker, and hide will immediately drop. If none of the mobs are hit on the first 'pulse', it is like missing with an AS, and following pulses should not affect your hide at all, as it is the area effect pseudopet pulsing the knockdown, not the stalker.

this is where it gets weird though... I am not sure if ice patch is actually affected by your interface.... It's possible your interface effect could cause a second proc effect originating from the stalker themselves.

but I have noticed much the same effect from when a stealthed ice controller drops ice slick, and arrow's oil slick. sometimes it simply aggroes in the first tick... but if you watch the foes bounce, you can see that the time between the very first pulse and succeeding pulses is actually very short, even though the chance of any individual target getting hit are also very low. (Maybe 5%?)

That actually begs the question... will slotting stalker chance for hide actually proc when things flop? or only when you trigger the power?

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1