Help with Mids hero builder for Mac

Dahkness

Basically, at this point I have no option for running Homecoming Hero Designer on 64-bit macOS Catalina.  The old 32-bit installer above works fine assuming you already have Brew installed, but you might need to run the script contained in the "installer" by hand from Terminal rather than just double-clicking due to security constraints.

Yeah, not simple.

I started hacking on a "native" version for macOS that just uses the Homecoming Hero Designer databases (basically just text files with xml data), but I've never been a User Interface person. That said, I'm still plugging away at it on weekends here & there; maybe one day I'll have something reasonable to share once I get beyond the "learning how to lay out interface elements in SwiftUI" phase.

^^^

That sounds super awesome. I agree

Also, is there a way to export our characters to a Mids readable format? It always takes me forever to recreate a toon in Mids. It hurts my brain.  No reflection on the utility. I absolutely love it and applaud the creator. But getting from CoH toon to Mids takes me about an hour 😞

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, dmaker said:

Also, is there a way to export our characters to a Mids readable format?

Kinda-sorta-not exactly and it would take just as long anyway as you can't import the file.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 10 months later
On 9/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, GM Capocollo said:

The easiest way to use Mids on mac OS would be using an emulator like Parallels.

Yes. In game, type

/buildsavefile .\ 

This will save the build of your character in the main COH folder/directory as a .txt file.

In Mid's, click on Import/Export menu item at the top. Then click Import From Forum Post.

Then open the build .txt file, select all, and copy.

Now back in Mid's, click OK, and the build should be imported... at least as much as it can understand anyway.

The build file is formatted for an old version of Mids, so there are likely to  be some problems. Some of the build information might be imported, or all. It depends. I recently imported a Dark/Dark defender this way, and it imported great! However, builds using newer powersets, IOs, etc... are likely not to be imported perfectly. You can always try it and find out. 

Edited by BlackSpectre

• 2 weeks later

So, Mids just doesn't work on macOS Catalina, right? 

Has anyone used VirtualBox? It came up when googling free alternatives to Parallels, but I don't have experience with either one. I really want to use Mids, but if running a virtual server or emulator ends up being buggy or expensive, I'm not sure if it's worth it (not to denigrate the efforts of those building Mids, which I really appreciate).

VirtualBox works pretty well.
It's simply another VM hypervisor system.  You still have to have Windows loaded in a VM instance to make it go.

You don't want to try to run a CoH server off the thing.
But a lightweight Windows 10 setup will do just fine.

Recommendations:

1. If you can put the VM on a solid state drive (SSD) without filling the drive up, do so.  It results in VM starts and reboots that're nearly instant.
  2. Invest in a bit more RAM for your system.  Remember the VM is sharing what you already have.  If you plan to use the VM on a semi-regular basis, just increase the amount of RAM you have.
  3. Remember that Windows will only activate a limited number of times.  So do NOT activate the OS before you get your setup just how you want it.  Then grab a system image and archive it.
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 9/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, GM Capocollo said:

The easiest way to use Mids on mac OS would be using an emulator like Parallels.

+1, if you're lucky enough to have Parallels already. That's what I did.

I was squee'ing too because I can't make an IO build to save my life, but I saved all the MIDS files for ones a friend made for me back on Live (when I had a dedicated gaming PC). The PC died about 6 years ago, but my current Mac will play CoH as well or better than that PC anyway. 🙂

• 3 years later