Kin Defender Secondaries

Rhaethe

Which is more important to you ... buffing/debuffing ... or the damage cap?

If it's buffing/debuffing then you want a Defender.

If you're more interested in pushing the damage cap you want a Corruptor.

As a guy who once lived for almost a 1000 years at a garage sale for cups once said ... CHOOSE WISELY ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Depends on the overall context of your build.  There's simply too many variables to give you a context-less answer with any validity.

I'd recommend using the build planner of your choice and then simply doing two versions of the same build (Defender vs Corruptor) and decide for yourself which one you prefer.  The choice of ATOs in the context of the build may be a deciding factor for you, but only YOU will be able to answer that question for you.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

55 minutes ago, Ice_Warden said:

I mean what are the caps for Corr vs Def? How much more does a Def buff/Debuff and how much more damage can a Corr deal?

Do they have the same Defense and Resist caps?

Ok, so both a corruptor and a defender can buff they're teammates to the damage cap, it just takes paying attention and team positioning to do it on a corruptor. The defender will always have an easier time buffing the team. I don't remember the numbers on fulcrum shift but I think mids is correct. 

A corruptor at the damage cap will deal roughly 44% more damage than a defender at the cap (260 compared to 375 for the same power assuming the corruptor version will do 75 and the defender will do 65). 

Corruptors and defenders have the same defense and resist caps but different modifiers. So it is much easier to hit those caps on a defender.

I personally think that kinetics works far better on a corruptor, but there are valid reasons to choose a defender.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 1:36 AM, Ice_Warden said:

I like Rad's 3 AOE attacks. I see Water has 3 also. Which one of those do you think would mesh well?

Rad has -def and since Kin needs to hit, Rad will mesh together better.

Since Ice was mentioned, I would 100% go Ice/kin corr in that case as the rain powers are way better on a corr.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 1 month later
On 9/23/2019 at 12:34 AM, Without_Pause said:

Played /elec and /sonic to 50. Since /elec isn't an option, /sonic is very good and would likely be the one Kin I would roll these days. /rad and /dark would be the others worthy of note. Bah, how the hell did a forget water? LOVE the set, although nothing super specific which helps out Kin. The AoE KD is nice though. The regen/attack is less useful. The set is just awesome, but just not something I would mentally pair together with Kin. /ice and /fire are simply better on a corr.

Kin/water is deceptively powerful. mostly because with a little careful proc slotting, you can dish out upwards of 300 dps ST, and a 750 pt aoe every 30 seconds, as well as an ongoing 150+dps aoe.

And then, of course, the blaster standing next to you when you FS makes you look like you are holding a garden hose. But that's a defender for ya 🙂

• 6 months later

No one has mentioned Kin/Energy.  I know there's a general dislike for Energy Blast due to knockback, but you can of course change that to knockdown with the right enhancements.

I have a Kin/Energy Defender that I loved playing on the live servers, and was thinking of reviving it on Homecoming.  I like the Energy for soloing, and the Kinetics for teaming.  Does anyone have any opinions?  Any good builds?

There are two points I would make on an energy blast defender, and kinetic specifically:

KB > KD proc in various energy blast powers make them into a charismatic form of soft control compared to wild random knockback.

Force Feedback procs in knockback abilities does increase your recharge time on all your powers, BUT the caveat here is eventually recharge is not the issue but rather how much animation time you have available for the powers that recharge quicker. You will wait for powers to activate rather than waiting for something to recharge.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, Psylenz0511 said:

There are two points I would make on an energy blast defender, and kinetic specifically:

Water is, in my opinion, Energy's slightly younger cousin who hit rock bottom, really thought about where they were going in life and worked to be a more rounded person.

It has a lot of native knockdown very early, a lot of AoE very early and it's is almost designed maximum proc-friendliness. The inbuilt heal can be procced to give you a small endurance boost. The main downside of it is that it's quite visually noisey... I ran a storm/water defender to 50 and just had to accept that there were times when I wouldn't be able to see anything. The -Def works well with Kinetic's to-hit buffs and debuffs.

The level of soft-control via knockdown can't be sniffed at (as with energy), but it just has a slightly more rounded toolkit and doesn't have to pay an IO tax if knockback upsets you. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 hour ago, Gulbasaur said:

Water is, in my opinion, Energy's slightly younger cousin who hit rock bottom, really thought about where they were going in life and worked to be a more rounded person.

By coincidence, I just finished playing a Water Blaster earlier this week.  Mostly solo, only a couple of levels on a farm, and all Tier 4 incarnate powers without a single trial.  (Could never find one when I was logged on.)  🙂  It was actually one of the most fun characters I've played.  With only one purple set (on the secondary power set) and one ATO set, I had a mini-nuke and Judgement, which let me get through crowds pretty quickly.  It made me wonder what I could do with her if I invested more on sets.

That was a blaster, though, NOT a defender.  I didn't know water was a secondary for defenders.  I suspect the experience would be a lot different.

21 hours ago, SaxTheSlayer said:

That was a blaster, though, NOT a defender.  I didn't know water was a secondary for defenders.  I suspect the experience would be a lot different.

I did it on my defender and found it worked very well for an aggressive playstyle, which Kinetics sort of requires. It's very proc-friendly, so it goes from good to great if you can throw money at it on a lower DPS archetype. 

It's a solid damage set with decent control and a heal, and the tidal mechanic is very well implemented. A few of the set gimmicks can be lackluster, but the Tidal mechanic adds a lot to an already respectable set. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

• 1 month later

I went Kin/Beam Rifle for a concept build and I'm having fun with it. I get to pew pew enemies and make my team better. I don't really care about defender solo-ability, if I'm in the mood to solo I have a lot of characters that do it way better than any defender ever will. And if I want to just grind some incarnate exp/threads/inf I can just afk the defender in the zone with my AE fire farmer and grind it out NP, and even run him along every once in awhile to buff him with kin. 

• 5 months later
5 hours ago, KITANYA said:

Any new opinions for July 2021?

Have things changed?

Is it still Kin/Sonic, Kin/Rad, Kin/Dark?

water blast is a good secondary for most defender primaries, the big + to water is the secondary effect of water blast is -def making your kinetic abilities able to hit more often, and you can slot achille's heel in your water aoes for more -resist.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:43 AM, Hedgefund said:

Sonic is the game breaker to pair with Kin, if you're into that.  Not only for -res * +dmg, but also the -res * -dmg (meaning the siphon power powers are buffed by the -res in Sonic blasts).

Otherwise, whatevah floats your boat.

I don't suppose you have a build that accomplishes this?

On 7/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Psylenz0511 said:

water blast is a good secondary for most defender primaries, the big + to water is the secondary effect of water blast is -def making your kinetic abilities able to hit more often, and you can slot achille's heel in your water aoes for more -resist.

Thanks Psylenz

I went with Kin / Rad 😄