Time defender... surprised

Pyriold

I recently built a time defender (/rad secondary). Yesterday at level 28 or so i was in a full group with not much support classes and nobody really tanky. So people were shy to take the alpha.

At that time i had 6 slotted farsight and 3 slotted Time's juncture, together with manouvers and hover. The numbers suggested that mobs would only have a 5% chance to hit me if they were affected by juncture, so i thought... well, lets try it. For the next 2 missions i straight on jumped into every mob first and it really worked! I could be the tank. Never got hit much.

Granted, i think we played at +2. At +4 this might be suicidal. And i managed not to get stunned all the time, maybe cause of the mobs we were fighting or maybe it was just luck. Now i am considering a respec to take acrobatics to be a bit more resilient to such things. It was fun and very unexpected.

I don't have any set bonuses btw., this toon just had standard IOs made from recipes bought at the university.

• Like 1

Also easier to do with being in that level range. Level 50 would be different, but you also have other options for counter it as well. Manouvers is one power everybody should try to make room for. Eight players even without additional slotting makes for easy teaming.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Yeah, Time will do that to ya.

Back on live I had a Time/Ice that really felt like a tank most of the time. If you want the fully tank feel add a proc or two to Time's Juncture. Short of an actual Tank with Taunt you will draw the most attention in an average group.

I'm leveling up a Time/Elec (along with 50 others) and it's a hoot also. Time/DP is a known awesome combo as well.

Time is just well rounded and strong.

"Time waits for no tank." - Graywalker
"Time doesn't need a tank, but they are really useful for vengeance." - Linea

• Haha 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

7 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Also easier to do with being in that level range. Level 50 would be different, but you also have other options for counter it as well. Manouvers is one power everybody should try to make room for. Eight players even without additional slotting makes for easy teaming.

I have both time/ defender and /time corrupter at lvl 50 fully incarnated and IOed, and I can tell you its actually even easier at 50 than before once you are set IO slotted.

A good build and IO setup will give you softcap to all def positions (45%) once power boost or clarion is applied to farsight pre cast.

That means you can tank all you want, solo or in teams as you are self contained in def buffing, just refresh your powerboosted/clarion farsight before the buff wears off- which is easy since farsight is a 2 min buff and clarion is a 2 min timer. No need for additional players to provide maneuvers, no need for anything outside of your own build and slotting. You just need powerboost from a epic set, or clarion from your destiny incarnate.

Its really one of the best buffs in game.

20 minutes ago, SlimPickens said:

I have both time/ defender and /time corrupter at lvl 50 fully incarnated and IOed, and I can tell you its actually even easier at 50 than before once you are set IO slotted.

A good build and IO setup will give you softcap to all def positions (45%) once power boost or clarion is applied to farsight pre cast.

That means you can tank all you want, solo or in teams as you are self contained in def buffing, just refresh your powerboosted/clarion farsight before the buff wears off- which is easy since farsight is a 2 min buff and clarion is a 2 min timer. No need for additional players to provide maneuvers, no need for anything outside of your own build and slotting. You just need powerboost from a epic set, or clarion from your destiny incarnate.

True. I can softcap an entire team using Clarion+Power Boost+Farsight. I just tell teammates to stay close to me and I tank, using Time's Juncture as extra cushion (never know when defense debuffs happen). 

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

2 minutes ago, Bopper said:

True. I can softcap an entire team using Clarion+Power Boost+Farsight. I just tell teammates to stay close to me and I tank, using Time's Juncture as extra cushion (never know when defense debuffs happen). 

Yep. All that and you can heal.  Force Field  wants to play.  It’s sad and alone. 

6 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

Yep. All that and you can heal.  Force Field  wants to play.  It’s sad and alone. 

Not to mention, that same combo also provides a team buff of +44.6% to hit (assuming you don't slot tohit mods in farsight, which I don't). Makes for hitting +4 enemies trivial.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Thanx for all the input.

Small update: In the 30ties when i was doing a devouring earth arc, this method didn't work anymore in a very humiliating way :). I think their ground spawns buff them and debuff me, so i went down very fast when trying to tank. Well.. good that we had a brute. Now 6-slotted distortion field with recharges and holds, that will hopefully help in those situations.

6 hours ago, Pyriold said:

i was doing a devouring earth arc, this method didn't work anymore in a very humiliating way :). I think their ground spawns buff them

It's the Quartz.

The Lieutenants drop the Quartz buff aura pet which gives all DE with radius like a +100 +ToHit (not Accuracy as advertised, +ToHit, just like how the Kismet proc advertises that it's +Accuracy when it's really +ToHit), completely totally and utterly negating ANY Defense oriented protection scheme.  It's just stupid broken "kryptonite" for Defense schemes.  Against "weeds, shrooms and rocks (and bosses)" you'll be fine, but against "crystals" you're going to have to be more careful and kill their pet drop as fast as possible if you want your Defenses to be worth a damn.  The other pet aura spawns do different things.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 1 year later
On 9/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, SlimPickens said:

Which do you like better?

I’m thinking of playing a /Time, but need to decide between a defender or corruptor. Looking for something good at everything teaming and soloing (tall ask I know!)

3 hours ago, Daemon Creed said:

I’m thinking of playing a /Time, but need to decide between a defender or corruptor. Looking for something good at everything teaming and soloing (tall ask I know!)

Time is really strong defensively, but not a great boost to offense. You want to pair it with a set that's stronger on offense, so I'd run it as a Corruptor in most cases to get higher damage. The defenses are probably strong enough that losing some defensive buff strength isn't as important as getting Scourge and higher base damage modifier.

Actually, I'd REALLY run it as a MM, probably, but that's a different type of story. But as a Corruptor/Defender, I'd run it as a Corruptor, probably with either Fire Blast (for higher offense) or Ice Blast (for a ridiculous amount of stacking -Recharge and -Move).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1