One free travel power at character creation?

dmaker

29 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Well lets call it an optimized classic flying brick. 

You aren't going to fight with hover on, thus combat jumping.   

Without the fighting pool you lose a lot of durability .  

Without hasten you loose the 5 second footstomps and the double rage.  

Without leadership you lose the guassians proc actually being useful since no build up.

Me, id just skip flight and grab SJ and get a jetpack, but i can see why some would want it.

If you truly need all of those to be truly, fully "optimized", then I've never been more glad that I don't make it a habit, or feel a need, to chase numbers like that.

• Like 1

I don't mind waiting until level 4 for the travel power.  But they do have a point about having to give up something else to gain said power.   I can't tell you how many characters where I've had to give up on travel powers, simply because I couldn't fit it into the build, where I'm trying to max defense, for example. 

17 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Why aren't you going to fight with Hover on? There's no reason -not- to do so. So long as you travel along the ground you can still Foot Stomp.

Me personally? Cause hover meleeing is janky and looks goofy. 

Please keep in mind i voted jetpack. 

5 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

My guess?  Mobility.  I find Hover's plenty good for a Ranged character, but in Melee . . . it's usually more of a pain in the ass for me to try and utilize it.

I hover around melee all the time. I did it with Hardcastle, back on live, and I do it with Cyclone, now.

Combat jumping has nothing on Hover's maneuverability. And pretty much everything that applies -fly also applies -jump, so the whole "Web Grenade" canard can die in a grave, unmourned.

Just now, Haijinx said:

Me personally? Cause hover meleeing is janky and looks goofy. 

Please keep in mind i voted jetpack. 

'I don't like how it looks' has nothing to do with Min-maxing. No one likes how Spines/Fire looks... Yet that's the Minmaxiest Farmer!

Edited by Steampunkette

36 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

But, yeah.  I kind of see this as the natural progression in what was already happening anyway.  Step by step, Travel Powers were becoming more and more accessible, and still had no real impact on game balance, while they DEFINITELY had a positive impact on game experience and roleplay.

This is a good point. I'm all for the OP suggestion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

If you truly need all of those to be truly, fully "optimized", then I've never been more glad that I don't make it a habit, or feel a need, to chase numbers like that.

Well to be fair you don't even use rage, so you aren't really going for oprimization at all.

8 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

<--- this old-timer remembers when you couldn't get a true Travel Power until level 14 ... and even then, only if you got another power from that same pool earlier (level ... 6?  Or was it 8?)

Remember Hovering all the way across The Hollows to go punch Frostfire in the face?

That said, I second the /jranger on the original.  You can do the tutorial and then run around Atlas for five minutes and have your travel power.  It's stupidly easy.  We don't need any more free stuff.

• Like 1

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

10 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

My guess?  Mobility.  I find Hover's plenty good for a Ranged character, but in Melee . . . it's usually more of a pain in the ass for me to try and utilize it.

This is what i meant by janky.  Thank you.

I find that i prefer fighting on my feet vs floating.  Since i was trying to imagine why someone might want 5 pools i figured it might just not be me.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

You aren't going to fight with hover on, thus combat jumping.   

Why not?  Hover/Fly would give you the Flying travel power that the "flying brick" concept needs.  Assuming you were unsatisfied with just buying Jetpacks to get the Flying part of it.

Without the fighting pool you lose a lot of durability . 

10.5% (base) resistance to Smashing and Lethal (from tough) doesn't sound like "a lot", to me.  🤷‍♂️  Neither does the negligible 3.5% defense (all) from Weave.

Without hasten you loose the 5 second footstomps and the double rage.  

Without leadership you lose the guassians proc actually being useful since no build up.

Neither of which are particularly central to "flying brick" as a concept.

TBH, overall it sounds like "optimized" is far more important to that character's build than "flying brick" ever was.  Nothing wrong with that, but nonetheless.

Besides which, you could go with all the pools you listed, be completely optimised to your heart's content ... and either go with Super Jump or Super Speed.  Poof, you have a travel power, without needing to access a 5th pool or whatever.  After all, the quintessential, archetypal "flying brick", Superman?  His original concept did not include flight, after all - "faster than a speeding bullet" (Superspeed), "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" (Superjump) ...

Honestly, CoX never billed itself as being able to make every possible heroic concept, and especially, it never claimed you could do that and be optimized for sheer power.  I have tabletop, paper-and-pencil concepts that would never be feasible in CoX.  Like the national landmark stealing (for ransom) Teleporter ... whose sole power is Teleportation.  (Just, he can carry a whole freakin' LOT of matter with him when he 'ports, and his range is godawful long; he parks things on Mars until the ransom is paid ... have fun recovering the Eiffel Tower intact from there before the 10-day time limit runs out and he "returns" it to a point two miles above the middle of the Atlantic ocean!)

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

53 minutes ago, PSLAnimal said:

Remember Hovering all the way across The Hollows to go punch Frostfire in the face?

... I remember SPRINTING across the Hollows to do that.  And to get all the badges.

The Hollows is where I learned to manage aggro via distance and breaking LOS - CoH was my first-ever MMO.

• Thanks 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

2 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

... I remember SPRINTING across the Hollows to do that.  And to get all the badges.

The Hollows is where I learned to manage aggro via distance and breaking LOS - CoH was my first-ever MMO.

Before I even knew about power pools, I recall being jealous of a friend who had taken hover, while I was genuinely nervous that I wouldn't be able to make it out of Perez Park alive...

12 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Why not?  Hover/Fly would give you the Flying travel power that the "flying brick" concept needs.  Assuming you were unsatisfied with just buying Jetpacks to get the Flying part of it.

10.5% (base) resistance to Smashing and Lethal (from tough) doesn't sound like "a lot", to me.  🤷‍♂️  Neither does the negligible 3.5% defense (all) from Weave.

Neither of which are particularly central to "flying brick" as a concept.

TBH, overall it sounds like "optimized" is far more important to that character's build than "flying brick" ever was.  Nothing wrong with that, but nonetheless.

Besides which, you could go with all the pools you listed, be completely optimised to your heart's content ... and either go with Super Jump or Super Speed.  Poof, you have a travel power, without needing to access a 5th pool or whatever.  After all, the quintessential, archetypal "flying brick", Superman?  His original concept did not include flight, after all - "faster than a speeding bullet" (Superspeed), "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" (Superjump) ...

You wanted to know why someone might want 5 pools

I gave an example why they might.  

Tearing apart my speculation right down to the numbers, while fun, seems like a lot of work to me.  

50 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

If we're talking about a Superman character I'll assume Invul, so tough may not add anything. But that extra defense could make a massive difference depending on how close one is too the softcap. 

1 hour ago, PaxArcana said:

Nearly 1/5th of the resistance cap for the most common damage types for most ATs with one Resistance and one Resistance/Endurance IO? Depending on the Armor set this can put you over the top or fill a gap.
Nearly 1/8th the softcap to all defenses with one Defense and one Defense/Endurance IO? This is good for defensive armor sets and great for resistance armor sets... This plus the two res procs put you a quarter of the way to softcap...

That seems like a decent investment on most toons.

• Like 2

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

2 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I used to play a Hover-Ninja Blade-Stalker... it worked out quite nicely... but for a lot of melee sets, notsogood....

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

If we're talking about a Superman character I'll assume Invul,

The exact example given was SS/Invul, yes.

1 minute ago, MunkiLord said:

Then yeah tough won't do much. But that defense will. Especially with that delicious rage crash. 

Sure, any ONE of them is probably desireable.  My point was, though,t hat surely one of those pools could be sacrificed in the name of "I gotta be able to fly".

4 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Then yeah tough won't do much. But that defense will. Especially with that delicious rage crash. 

An Invul Brute with fully slotted resistances still has 33% or so S/L resist to go before the cap, Tough can do plenty.

Combat Jumping. Pick up Hover, instead. It fits the concept, more, and you can still slot whatever into Hover instead of CJ.

"Oh it's not as easy for me!"

Meh. You have to sacrifice for concept, sometimes.

Like... I earnestly just do not fucking get it. "Let me give you the most extreme example I can in order to force you to admit that it's a problem for this one min-maxed character who I also want to crowbar concept into!"

It's a niche case in which you're already ignoring concept for most of the pools you're picking at that point.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Does a brute invul really hit 90% s/l that easy?  

Hmm.   

With the proposed rage crash though?  Maybe tough matters more.

Still its nbd.  I was just throwing out a whatif as to why 5 pools.

Realistically if they gave a free travel power that pool should count I think.