Code of Conduct Update - September 25th 2019

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello!

Today we've issued an update to our Code of Conduct. The key change is that we are no longer allowing characters that use copyrighted materials owned by other companies. This is the same as it was during the retail life of the game - we don't want to draw the ire of Marvel, DC, or other gigantic entities and unnecessarily put Homecoming at risk.

Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in.

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Just now, Sylar said:

If NCSoft aren't even concerned at this point, why would Marvel or DC or any other franchise give a hoot, especially when this isn't even a legal server?

Perhaps a preparatory step in the process of becoming a legal server?

• Like 11

What was no more, is REBORN!

Just now, Rylas said:

This isn't terribly surprising. If HC is in talks with NCSoft, this kind of move only makes sense.

Yeah. It's weird how no ones ever posted any kind of correspondence to show as such.

Seems like people just come out of the wood work now and then to say that they are and then disappear for a while.

How will that work with names that are in the public domain but are used by a comic company?

Example: Thor.  Marvel owns their own likeness of Thor, but not the name (The old Comico comic company also had a Thor character with a completely different likeness).  Mythological names have been used by multiple companies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Arkterusss said:

Yeah. It's weird how no ones ever posted any kind of correspondence to show as such.

Seems like people just come out of the wood work now and then to say that they are and then disappear for a while.

Well, that's kind of the thing about legal talks like those. They have to be kept pretty confidential until terms can be agreed upon and made official.

• Like 4

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Just now, Allekto said:

How will that work with names that are in the public domain but are used by a comic company?

Example: Thor.  Marvel owns their own likeness of Thor, but not the name (The old Comico comic company also had a Thor character with a completely different likeness).  Mythological names have been used by multiple companies.

Those that have used those kinds of names will find out quickly enough, and I have no doubt they will report back quickly. Then we will start to get an idea of where those kinds of interpretations come down.

Just now, Rylas said:

Well, that's kind of the thing about legal talks like those. They have to be kept pretty confidential until terms can be agreed upon and made official.

Pretty convenient!  

Though I suppose there should be some records of conversations had 7+ years ago when said conversations fell through.  

1 minute ago, Sylar said:

but they are not, no ifs no buts, no what ifs, they are just not, and playing this "real server" stuff is just silly, to put it nicely.

I'll put it another way.  This might have come up during the negotiations in the manner of "Ummmm...by the way.  There was this thing about copyrighted characters/costumes/names, etc., that we are gonna need in place before this can happen.  Ya know...legal stuffs and all".  Or something to that effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arkterusss said:

Pretty convenient!  

Though I suppose there should be some records of conversations had 7+ years ago when said conversations fell through.  

You know, if you don't like what's going on with Homecoming, there are other servers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

Just now, Abraxus said:

I'll put it another way.  This might have come up during the negotiations in the manner of "Ummmm...by the way.  There was this thing about copyrighted characters/costumes/names, etc., that we are gonna need in place before this can happen.  Ya know...legal stuffs and all".  Or something to that effect.

not if the deal is finalized, why the F would HC agree to something like that if the deal isn't even set? that's like asking people to jump through hoops on the 0.1% chance of getting a can opener for their spaghetti, yeah no what an actual dumb move.

I'm okay with this. I never had a problem with the policy on live, and I still don't.t It's little sad I'll have to change my Spines brute Prickle Rick because I'm kinda proud of that one, but I'll live.

Honestly, this might be a good sign -- maybe the "talks" are going well enough that a CYA policy is necessary where it wasn't before?

EDIT: Oh, I see I'm not the only one thinking it.

Edited by Mjolnerd

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Just now, Sylar said:

not if the deal is finalized, why the F would HC agree to something like that if the deal isn't even set? that's like asking people to jump through hoops on the 0.1% chance of getting a can opener for their spaghetti, yeah no what an actual dumb move.

Perhaps as an act of good faith to prove they are serious.  Who knows.  We won't know the details of these talks until it's a done deal, so no use in speculating.  But, this is exactly the kind of thing I would expect NCSoft to insist upon before granting their seal of approval.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Arkterusss said:

When did I ever announce my intention or feelings?  Stop projecting, lad.

Hi buddy, I'm not projecting, but like Homecoming, I don't need to be 100% transparent with my motives 😄

Edited by Obsidius
  • Like 1

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738