Spines! but which AT?

Blastit

I've never really played Spines during all my time in CoH and haven't touched it at all ever since they redid the animations for the first attack, so I thought I'd like to remedy that. I'm torn between combining it with Bio Armour or Willpower but my biggest trouble is deciding which AT to pick. Scrapper, Stalker, Brute and Tanker all have access to it in I25 but not all power sets are created equal for all ATs, so I'm wondering if there's some quirk or shortcoming for the set with any of those? Are there any particular armour set choices that would change how Spines is evaluated for each AT?

I had a Spines/Ninja Stalker back in the day, and she was pretty fabbo.  Stalkers lose the damage aura, but getting the extra ranged stuff compared to other Stalker sets was nice, and it's a little similar, but more versatile, than Claws.  That said, one of the big appeals of the set, I think, was probably being able to double-up on damage auras (I also played a Spines/Dark Scrapper, but only briefly, talk about sucking wind!), and Spines/Bio can get you that on the non-Stalker ATs.

I thought about Bio armour because it's got a damage aura so I can double up and because it's an otherwise interesting set that I haven't tried.

But I ended up making a Spines/WP Scrapper purely because of the simplicity and the extra endurance recovery. So say hello to Pincushion, who ran a sewer trial and outlevelled the early free costume changes. Whoopsie. At least I don't actually have anything solid beyond his starting cactus suit and it'll give me something neat to work towards.

If I end up really liking Spines I'll branch out in the future. I'm vaguely entertaining the idea of becoming a Spines gimmick dude and only rolling ATs with it or Dominators with Thorn Assault.

Why not one of each?  See how it goes.  With accelerated leveling you'll soon have a good feel for which is better.  Everyone has a different play style so what works for one may not work for you.  Have fun!

Im running up a Spines/Bio Brute - Ill say that putting 5 slots and all the ‘PtW’ vendor presige enhancements into Spine Burst, coupled with the Brute Fury, has hilarious impacts on your leveling speed and ability to handle groups.  Though that will fade with time, youve got better defenses and a lot of healing waiting in the works from Bio - which will help feed that ‘must charge into next group’ frenetic pace.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

• 2 years later
On 5/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Blastit said:

I've never really played Spines during all my time in CoH and haven't touched it at all ever since they redid the animations for the first attack, so I thought I'd like to remedy that. I'm torn between combining it with Bio Armour or Willpower but my biggest trouble is deciding which AT to pick. Scrapper, Stalker, Brute and Tanker all have access to it in I25 but not all power sets are created equal for all ATs, so I'm wondering if there's some quirk or shortcoming for the set with any of those? Are there any particular armour set choices that would change how Spines is evaluated for each AT?

I have spines/wp  scap/tank/brute/stalker   only one that does not work well is the stalker great for a tank because of the aoes with the taunt built in 

Brutes due to Fury fueling the damage aura or Tanks due to their target cap.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I enjoy my spines stalker... having Assassin's strike makes up for not having as much DPS in the other sets.   And all that AoE causes a lot of Assassin's Mark procs.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Spine/Ice scrapper with a lot of winter sets was one of the brightest moments playing coh. Spines can be colored blue with crystal look makes it look like Ice. Also ice armor has icicles that make it even look better. If only I could turn the green aura blue on shooting spine it would be perfect. Def  worth a try  it became my main farmer.

Edited by Ironscarlet
  • Like 1