Do you remember......

Andrewvm

...... when you'd download the game for the first time (maybe even in beta) and you'd have to wait for 11 hours for the download to complete, then wait about seven minutes to get to the login screen and about 5 more to go ingame?

And then when choosing to change zones you's wait another 3 minutes?

I'm amazed how fast it all is now. 

If the devs have -anything- to do with this, THANKS!!

In General the amount of Bandwidth of the average internet package has increased a lot over the past 5 or 6 Years

It was them, they did it, all hail Homecoming, Dilly Dilly!

They also did the 64 Bit thing too, that sped a lot of things up, Dilly Dilly!

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

45 minutes ago, Andrewvm said:

...... when you'd download the game for the first time (maybe even in beta) and you'd have to wait for 11 hours for the download to complete, then wait about seven minutes to get to the login screen and about 5 more to go ingame?

For those of us on the first iteration of the SCORE server in mid-April, the download of the game, and load screens, queues, and lag/rubber banding were still a real thing.  The second iteration in late April, or early May, about the same.  Took weeks for enough shards to be put out there to balance the load, and get things running smoothly.  But, once done, it has been like a dream come true.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

I remember still being on dial up back then and going to a friends house to use his dsl to download the beta client. Slow loads were just par the course for me until they finally brought dsl out to the sticks.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

1 hour ago, Andrewvm said:

My girlfriend and I upgraded to DSL broadband (well, "broadband" by the standards of the day, anyway) specifically for City of Heroes.  So it only took ~5 hours to download it all ... 😄

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I remember playing this game on a pentium III computer with a factory graphics card when Issue 9 dropped.  Even with the graphics settings minimized, my screen turned into a slide show whenever I got within half a zone of Wentworth's.  On a related note, I never knew what my characters really looked like until I got one of the early quad core computers with a relatively current graphics card.

I also remember literally making a sandwich while waiting for my character to load into a "hot door" situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I remember when we had games we carved out of ROCKS! And if you dropped it on someone head it could kill a man. And we were damn glad to have them too. Especially when we wanted to kill a man.

You had rocks? 

Hah.  Kids these days.

• Haha 2

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

11 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I remember when we had games we carved out of ROCKS! And if you dropped it on someone head it could kill a man. And we were damn glad to have them too. Especially when we wanted to kill a man.

I remember that: it was called Chuck Rock!! 

(you didn't expect that to be real didn't ya, look it up) 😂🤣

I remember Chuck Rock being on one of the early Nickelodeon gameshows as one of the challenges a team could pick . AFAIK no team ever did. 

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 9/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, Andrewvm said:

My computers have always been pretty potato, but I don't recall load times ever being THAT bad...

Less about the computer, and more about the ISP, I think.

I remember dialup.

Hell, I remember _AOL_ dialup ...!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I got it on CD, the only thing I had to download were the updates prior to I1, I think it was the day after the first purple patch. Went from a door mission to perez park and that was all she wrote. 

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane