Another Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

4 hours ago, Summerspark said:

Sounds like magic to me, but then I never did get into movies and comics much. I just like this game.

David Eddings would agree but he wouldn't call it magic. He did have a word for it though. 😄

Edited by JCMcBoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

4 hours ago, Summerspark said:

Makes no sense to me, surely to project your will would be a natural-based thing? Or magic. Using only your force of will doesn't sound like a mutation.

It's considered the Mutant power pool only because the other four (Sorcery, Gadgetry, Utility Belt, and Experimentation) map to Magic, Tech, Natural, and Science origins respectively, leaving Force of Will and Mutant as analogs by default.  (Sister Psyche has psionic powers, and she's a mutant, so it might be based on her, or on Marvel mutants like Jean Grey and Professor X)

My headcanon, though, was that it was a sneaky way of adding Jedi powers to the game (travel power is basically the Force Jump, attacks are all mental... and it's named Force of Will).

YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.  DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.

Edited by Williwaw
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

As part of this, we’re now collaborating not only with The Titan Network, but also the Victory and Resurgence servers, and it’s our intention to invite more servers to the table in the coming months.

This is cool.

It brings up an important question though, on the goals of the homecoming team going forward. Is homecoming looking to be the centralized owner/authority for CoH, or will things remain as they are now with different groups and communities expressing their own visions of what CoH should be?

Would private servers that are not homecoming affiliated get a C&D from whatever group/board thing is set up to manage the non-profit; should the talks succeed in gaining homecoming the IP?

• The most popular specific request is, of course, Mastermind customisation (what else would it be?!)

So are we talking about just cosmetic changes to the existing Mastermind primaries via the character creator, like Ninjas made to look like Morris dancers or re we talking about full customisation where you can control the look and available powers of your minions ala AE?

Edited by JCMcBoo

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

4 minutes ago, William Valence said:

Would private servers that are not homecoming affiliated get a C&D from whatever group/board thing is set up to manage the non-profit; should the talks succeed in gaining homecoming the IP?

>issue a cease and desist to private servers

Go be a lawyer somewhere else, Benny.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

As part of this, we’re now collaborating not only with The Titan Network, but also the Victory and Resurgence servers, and it’s our intention to invite more servers to the table in the coming months.

This line right here makes me hopeful that NCSoft discussions are going well enough where private servers will start consolidating.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

When you say “collaborating” @Jimmy, can you expand on what that means?

For example, will ParagonWiki be allowed to be updated with HC content?  Will you be swapping code with Victory and Resurgence?  Are they also at the negotiation table with NCSoft (I know that Titan Network is).

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

5 hours ago, ParadigmShift said:

I know it was a joke when it was first brought up, but the next MM customization really needs to be Clowns, and the final (think Gang War) power really needs to be about a dozen clowns emerging from a old VW Beetle.

This OMG this!!!!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 hours ago, Sylar said:

Guardians AT was passxed in favor of Sentinel though i wish it wasn't because to me Guardians are way more fun.

Um.

No.

I just have to step in here and shut this nonsense down.

THIS IS FALSE

Anyone who tells you this story is Flat Out Lying

Guardians and Sentinels were created and implemented on the hidden server by two very different developers.  

Yes, Sentinels are boring. 

Yes, Sentinels are under-damaged, victim of the same kid-gloving that wrecked balance on elemental power-sets on the live server. 

But Sentinels were built in the process of learning HOW the game worked, what it took to mix and match existing power-sets, as well as what it took to create new primaries, new secondaries, new tertiaries, and new inherent powers. They were the "Safe" mode that gave a basis for known quantities within the game to be handled first. Those known quantities are critical to understanding some of the background events in play. Patches that made it onto hidden server had to be well-documented, with no temporary hacks, no black-boxes, and no obfuscation.

This wasn't just because the Hidden Server developers lacked the tools and utilities the live server developers had, but also because any developer who came online further down had to be able to jump in and be capable of understanding the work that the Hidden Server devs had accomplished. The numerous oddities and anomalies in coding caused by Contractual Devs stuffing features into the game to make deadlines on live cause enough problems as is. If a developer contributed something to the Hidden Server but did not write it cleanly or document that addition, future developers would have complications keeping that contributed code working. 

That aspect of code quality was critical to keeping the development going.

So we get to Guardians.  Guardians were a pet project of a person who had never developed anything before. In and of itself, not a bad thing. The original developer deserves massive amount of credit for taking a flying leap into an ambitious project...

and failing.

Thing is, Guardians weren't complete.

Guardians didn't work.

Patches submitted upstream to the Hidden Server devs routinely broke the entire build...

and that's a *BAD* thing.

That's why Guardians never happened.

The original Guardian Dev wasn't interested in cleaning up his code, making sure it didn't break the upstream builds, and making sure the code was in a state where it could be supported in the future. 

In some ways I really feel sorry for that developer because he at least tried to do something special.

And... in some ways I don't. I have enough background information to be able to look current players in the eyes and say... "He did it to himself"

And for any server attempting to integrate Guardians? 

I think they are going to run straight into the same code-quality issues that happened on the first go-around... 

and I really wouoldn't get my hopes up on seeing Guardians come to any other servers just because I don't see the Homecoming, Resurgence, or Victory devs wanting to waste time with a developer who responds to criticism by throwing their hands up and storming away. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Now for the exciting bit! We will soon™ begin public testing of Issue 26, Page 3. What is Page 3? Well, I’m glad you asked!

As we don’t have the resources of a full studio behind us, we’re going to be releasing content in smaller chunks (or.. Pages) which are bound together into larger collections / storylines (or.. Issues).

I just want to say I applaud the "page" concept. It nicely encapsulates the feel of "issues" while at the same time highlighting the inherent limitations of an all-volunteer effort.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

For example, will ParagonWiki be allowed to be updated with HC content? 

Just to be clear, it's Titan Network, not Homecoming, that decided that ParagonWiki would remain (for the time being) a record of the game as it was at shutdown. They are also on record that anyone who wants to fork the wiki and make a version specific to their server is welcome to do so.

So, with the problems facing efforts to create Mastermind Henchpet Customization . . . can the community be informed as to what avenues you are exploring as solutions to this?  Do you need any help with it?  I'd be willing to plop several hours a week in to tweaking textures in GIMP or sifting through code, just because Henchpet customization is /that/ important!

• Like 1