Another Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

1 hour ago, AurianArchive said:

Um.

No.

I just have to step in here and shut this nonsense down.

THIS IS FALSE

Anyone who tells you this story is Flat Out Lying

Guardians and Sentinels were created and implemented on the hidden server by two very different developers.  

Yes, Sentinels are boring. 

Yes, Sentinels are under-damaged, victim of the same kid-gloving that wrecked balance on elemental power-sets on the live server. 

But Sentinels were built in the process of learning HOW the game worked, what it took to mix and match existing power-sets, as well as what it took to create new primaries, new secondaries, new tertiaries, and new inherent powers. They were the "Safe" mode that gave a basis for known quantities within the game to be handled first. Those known quantities are critical to understanding some of the background events in play. Patches that made it onto hidden server had to be well-documented, with no temporary hacks, no black-boxes, and no obfuscation.

This wasn't just because the Hidden Server developers lacked the tools and utilities the live server developers had, but also because any developer who came online further down had to be able to jump in and be capable of understanding the work that the Hidden Server devs had accomplished. The numerous oddities and anomalies in coding caused by Contractual Devs stuffing features into the game to make deadlines on live cause enough problems as is. If a developer contributed something to the Hidden Server but did not write it cleanly or document that addition, future developers would have complications keeping that contributed code working. 

That aspect of code quality was critical to keeping the development going.

So we get to Guardians.  Guardians were a pet project of a person who had never developed anything before. In and of itself, not a bad thing. The original developer deserves massive amount of credit for taking a flying leap into an ambitious project...

and failing.

Thing is, Guardians weren't complete.

Guardians didn't work.

Patches submitted upstream to the Hidden Server devs routinely broke the entire build...

and that's a *BAD* thing.

That's why Guardians never happened.

The original Guardian Dev wasn't interested in cleaning up his code, making sure it didn't break the upstream builds, and making sure the code was in a state where it could be supported in the future. 

In some ways I really feel sorry for that developer because he at least tried to do something special.

And... in some ways I don't. I have enough background information to be able to look current players in the eyes and say... "He did it to himself"

And for any server attempting to integrate Guardians? 

I think they are going to run straight into the same code-quality issues that happened on the first go-around... 

and I really wouoldn't get my hopes up on seeing Guardians come to any other servers just because I don't see the Homecoming, Resurgence, or Victory devs wanting to waste time with a developer who responds to criticism by throwing their hands up and storming away. 

this was already explained to me, and i know what i saw on the private server thanks, sentinels were chosen over guardians, and thats that, a GM has already answered this, so drop it.

My advice for these origin pool powers would be to make them like Epics--they're their own thing and they don't take up a power pool slot, but you can only choose one, it doesn't have to match your origin

Also comes with the benefit of being able to take a travel power without needing to take a power pool slot.  So if you wanna grab Concealment, Leadership, Fighting and Medicine but still fly, go ahead!

Edited by DMW45
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jarethgk said:

Not sure if this has been said already, but I am hoping serious consideration for the newer Guardian AT made by other amazing people in the COH client/server code communities.  From the parts I have gotten to read about them,  I think they would be a very interesting class.  A true Jack of all Trades and master of none.  It would allow people to make very specially themed characters.  (Maybe not the best since it tries to be so many things, but still very interesting and likely would work best in teams)

These are my two bits, and I would hope more may be said about the new AT potential.  I see it a a plus as most of the work is already done, and it is mainly the work to fit it into the homecoming code. (I know that maybe harder than it sounds, yet I am hoping it is a more of a head start than going from a blank slate.)

Anyways, thanks team for your efforts.  I love being in the city again, and hope to be for a long time!

- Jeremy M.

I tried out the Guardian on the Rebirth test server, and I wasn't impressed.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.  Maybe if it gets more development it'll be better in the future.  But I don't think Homecoming is missing anything by skipping it.  Maybe we'll come up with something similar soon enough? 

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

The most popular specific request is, of course, Mastermind customisation (what else would it be?!)

spacer.png

Bunnies.

Maddened, crazed, bloodthirsty but adorable bunnies. 

As henchmen. What else could you possibly want? 

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

PS: be on the lookout for spooky ghosts.

*Passes out in joy!*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• City Council
Just now, Myrmidon said:

You finally did it. You’re deleting Empathy and replacing it with a new powerset!

If Jimmy's going to delete anything, it's pineapple pizza Storm Summoning.

Disclaimer: No, we're not actually going to delete Storm Summoning. We like our heads where they are, thank you very much.

• Haha 4
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

1 minute ago, GM Widower said:

Disclaimer: No, we're not actually going to delete Storm Summoning. We like our heads where they are, thank you very much.

As someone that leveled a Storm up to 50 in the old game on a dare, I must say that words could not accurately describe my “disappointment” when the KD IO didn’t reduce the Repel in Hurricane. And truth be told, it’s best for everyone that I do not utter what was said here...

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

4 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

As someone that leveled a Storm up to 50 in the old game on a dare, I must say that words could not accurately describe my “disappointment” when the KD IO didn’t reduce the Repel in Hurricane. And truth be told, it’s best for everyone that I do not utter what was said here...

/qft

5 hours ago, GM Widower said:

this talk of pineapple is very disturbing when it should be pineapple and ham

• Like 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

16 hours ago, KalSpiro said:

Force of Will is a mutant centric power pool, like Sorcery is magic centric.  There are three more of them

It's Utility Belt, Experimentation & Gadgetry.

Experimentation pool might be pretty cool because it meant to contain 2 in 1 travel power - superspeed that also contains Area-Across teleport in it. While Gadgetry meant to have damaging powers those emit Energy projectiles from drones, which might be pretty thematic for certain characters.

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

49 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

wouldn't that be tech?

Not really. If it is common access to everyone it would be natural or else all weapons would be tech too like using a sword or a gun. 

• Like 1

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"- Chesty Puller US Marine Corps

2 hours ago, Broken_Prey said:

Not really. If it is common access to everyone it would be natural or else all weapons would be tech too like using a sword or a gun. 

Good point.  I was thinking along the lines of my natural characters who are DBZesque naturals.

As new powerful power sets have been released and old buffed, while also benefiting from more accessible enhancements and temp powers, maybe next in line for a buff is the enemy. Instead or maybe in addition to just a straight up buff,  maybe consider a way to make missions less predictable with wandering spawns, reinforcements, invisible enemies who follow and attack when the party/hero/villain is engaging other spawn, trip mines,  etc. 😉  

• Like 2

• Retired Developer
44 minutes ago, atletikus said:

As new powerful power sets have been released and old buffed, while also benefiting from more accessible enhancements and temp powers, maybe next in line for a buff is the enemy. Instead or maybe in addition to just a straight up buff,  maybe consider a way to make missions less predictable with wandering spawns, reinforcements, invisible enemies who follow and attack when the party/hero/villain is engaging other spawn, trip mines,  etc. 😉  

*takes notes*

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

You know.  I think if we were just able to customize the appearance of thugs/mercs/zombies (which would probably be a huge pain in the tail, because it would require costume customization for 3? toons per mastermind) I would die happy.

Also... Female Huge.  And fully-open costumes, so I can use the dresses and hairstyles on male and/or huge.

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

1 hour ago, atletikus said:

I like this idea!  😀