Another Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

On 9/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, Jimmy said:

Issue 26, Page 3
Now for the exciting bit! We will soon™ begin public testing of Issue 26, Page 3. What is Page 3? Well, I’m glad you asked!

As we don’t have the resources of a full studio behind us, we’re going to be releasing content in smaller chunks (or.. Pages) which are bound together into larger collections / storylines (or.. Issues). Pages 1 & 2 were mainly maintenance & quality of life updates, but 3 is our first major content release.

It would be nice if going forward you titled the patch note threads with the Issue and Page so the players can see where they fit into the larger scheme.

Nevermind, I just hit the Beta forums and see that you're starting that...

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
Jumped the gun/Spoke too soon.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Wow, this sounds terrific!  Thanks for all you do, Homecoming.  Even though I only play on Homecoming, I'm still happy to hear that other CoX server projects are being welcomed into the fold if possible in the future.  It's a positive, embracing attitude for you to employ, and it all bodes well for any NCsoft negotiations underway.  A General CoX NCsoft launcher featuring all CoX server projects-- with server types, features and goals listed next to each project-- would be fantastic, as long as each team agreed to NCsoft's required professional behavior and performance.  

Imagine what this could do for shuttered MMOs in the future, too!  NCsoft and Homecoming could be ushering in a whole new way to continue to service MMO gamers as their fav games age and would otherwise be shuttered.  🙋‍♀️

Edited by Surelle

I completely missed out on the discussion here from being on vacation then severely sick for about a week and some other stuff.  I also know some of these may not be feasible/possible, but they are ideas nonetheless, so here goes a few things (forgive any that are repeats I missed) ...

• Costume Slots (preferably more slots, 15-20).
  • Costume Change Cost (reduce or nullify the cost in Icon, everyone suffers the higher the level, especially roleplayers or anyone that changes often).
  • Weather (Snow and Rain, would love to see snow and rain even if there's no ground acumulation).
  • Peacebringer (Combat Flight like Hover).
  • Stealth (Semi-Translucent, like it previously was).
  • Vault Reserve (Account-Wide vs per Character).
  • Consolidate Badges (all characters get the badges account wide like when a costume piece is unlocked).

Again, just thoughts and these may be possible or not and may have been discussed previously.  Sorry if it's a repeat.

Edited by Champ

Great adds, Homecoming team! I'm hoping you can answer some of these questions:

1) I see power sets coming out on other servers. Is there a day when you guys will merge and bring those sets on board etc?

2) A number of us have volunteered to help with game development. Have you added some of the volunteers? Will you be letting us know about that? I am definitely down to help!

Addressing the desire to maintain characters online... how about first, just being able to save a copy of your character to your own computer... just in case? The idea being that if a server goes under, that you have all your hard work saved and can at a later time import it into the game when the server comes back up or import it into a different server.

There would need to be generous documentation on how the saved character files were organized, and how they plugged into the game, so that a developer could write a conversion app to import the file into their version of the game.  A RESPEC might be needed, but if the conversion app does a good job on matching the details in the file with equivalent details in their game, it should work fairly well... sans details that are in the file that don't exist in the game.

Additionally, some sort of open source viewing app would be really awesome, to be able to view the character offline, separately from the game. 

And thinking along these lines... is it possible now to save a file with your character's stats, powers, photo of the character, etc.?

I was lucky enough to have had a bunch of Mid's Hero Planner and COH Planner files saved, which were very helpful in rebuilding here at Homecoming what I had lost on live. But to tell you the truth, it would have been so much better to be able to save you character's build, origin story, binds, costume (or at least a jpeg of the toon), etc. directly from the game.

• Retired Game Master
1 hour ago, BurtHutt said:

Great adds, Homecoming team! I'm hoping you can answer some of these questions:

1) I see power sets coming out on other servers. Is there a day when you guys will merge and bring those sets on board etc?

2) A number of us have volunteered to help with game development. Have you added some of the volunteers? Will you be letting us know about that? I am definitely down to help!

Re #1: it's not impossible, but each server is operated by its own staff with its own ideas about development and collaboration.  Some may not prefer to share content with specific servers, or with any other server at all.  Some servers might not want the shared material because it doesn't meet their standards, or it conflicts with the server's own existing/planned content.  For the time being, assume that the new content each server is developing belongs solely to that server and won't appear anywhere else unless someone explicitly says otherwise.

Re #2: volunteers are being contacted as they're needed.  For example, the professional writer who was asked to write the upcoming Vigilante and Rogue arcs in Page 3 originally signed up in one of the Dev's Corner threads.

Edited by GM Capocollo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A suggestion for Utility Belt that I made elsewhere:  If you could make a power "grappling hook" that works like Teleport, with 3 changes:

1:  It's much shorter range.

2:  It's much MUCH faster.

3:  It MUST target either a surface (wall, ceiling, ground) OR a mob.  It can't yoink you into empty space.

You could also have it be the "alt-power" of the special run, like how translocation is the alt-power of Mystic Flight. 

• 3 months later

I would like to emphasize a relook at end-game in comparison to how chalenging and fun it can be at early levels compared to maxed-out where one shotting everything is all that isn't useless, nullifying pretty much build diversity, team-play, playstyles and any power that doesnt straight up blow up mobs. Which honestly is a lot of the face of CoH along with the costumization and community.

I dont know what the majority thinks but if people want an easy end-game where they grind solo only to be able to grind solo more will make the end-game stale very quickly. A simple difficulty increase might work but ultimately i think balancing around all archetypes so team-play and different builds matter again just like leveling should be priority.

Nostalgia and making new chars to properly team play won't keep the population afloat for too long, stuff like new powers, costumes and such certainly help but in the grand scheme of things looking at the bigger picture is more important. Especially if you guys plan to keep building on the end-game.

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic
  • Jimmy unpinned this topic
  • Widower locked this topic