RialVestro

Trivial little details that make no difference to game play but you love anyway...

I recently noticed that objects in the game actually react to you. The sign outside of the police station, I flew into it and it went spinning around the pole. Someone mentioned the gate by the hospital in IP can be knocked off it's hinges. I'd be happy if the gate just opened. I remember these being static objects that didn't really do anything. They were just there. This is something really trivial. It has zero effect on game play. It's just something neat in the game's graphics that makes the environment feel like a real space you're interacting with. For that reason, even though it's such a small trivial thing, I still enjoy that it's there.

Are there any other things like this you've noticed in the game that are just sort of neat even though it has no real effect on game play?

• Like 1

Jump into a trash bin with hurricane running. You'll generate a huge amount of litter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

22 minutes ago, cejmp said:

Jump into a trash bin with hurricane running. You'll generate a huge amount of litter. 

Well THAT's not very heroic now is it!   New villain... Litter Bug!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

There's some gates that react to your character that can actually be knocked off their hinges. There's one right by Penelope Yin and Aurora Borealis in Independence Port if you want to try it. There's even some sparks when the gate comes off. Now, you might think that knocking gate doors off their hinges isn't very heroic, but consider that if I didn't the programmer who spent time making that possible would have wasted that time. Really, it's irresponsible not to break those gates.

Edited by Vanden
  • Haha 3

I remember when they added these physics to the game and we had a week of teams face-diving into objects to see what moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Using gravity powers around leaves, litter, or other debris causes them to get caught up in the gravity field, which I always find pretty neat.

When my Gun Drones explode they leave behinds a bunch of parts on the ground that those gravity balls will pick up.  xD   

8 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

Well THAT's not very heroic now is it!   New villain... Litter Bug!

Grav controller, obviously.

Then he went Rogue, ran a Terra Volta respec trial, and left a forklift in the reactor core.  The ensuing meltdown gave a hapless reactor tech radiation powers.  And now Litter Bug has a nemesis!

2 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

I Foot Stomped next to a mailbox today and a bunch of mail came out of it. 

Isn't that a federal offense in the US?

• Like 1

The cars honking their horns when you're in the way on the road (not that they actually stop, and often don't even change lanes).

Vernon Von Grun (seriously, everyone should have to do his arc at least once). Or does that count as affecting gameplay, since you get Bees? Either way, there really needs to be a babble-off between Becky the Tarantula Mistress and Infernia.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vanden said:

There's some gates that react to your character that can actually be knocked off their hinges. There's one right by Penelope Yin and Aurora Borealis in Independence Port if you want to try it. There's even some sparks when the gate comes off. Now, you might think that knocking gate doors off their hinges isn't very heroic, but consider that if I didn't the programmer who spent time making that possible would have wasted that time. Really, it's irresponsible not to break those gates.

Some of the phone boxes in Faultline can have their doors knocked off (there are some gates there too).

On 9/28/2019 at 3:41 AM, RialVestro said:

Are there any other things like this you've noticed in the game that are just sort of neat even though it has no real effect on game play?

The vertical scale of most of the city zones.  There are skyscrapers which do just that, go so high that they reach the skybox (in one case, through the skybox).  They aren't hiding mission doors.  There aren't any enemies at the top.  No easter eggs or pop culture references.  They're there simply to provide perspective, to give players the appropriate sense of scale so the zones feel more like sections of a real city.  And they do so, remarkably well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

There aren't any enemies at the top.  

This is one of the many reasons I like St. Martial as a zone.  There are Family on large garden balconies and Tsoo milling around.  I remember getting a few levels on live just balcony hunting and using Crane Kick as my finisher to kick them off the roof.  I like the idea of another player seeing a couple of bodies fall out of nowhere.

I know I'll forget a bunch but other little details include:

* The looping fairground music at Fortune's Wheel

* The shanty house by the water in Port Oakes

* Standing next to Singularity with my Assault Rifle Blaster and seeing it collect all my bullet and shell casings

* The big red ball

* Random NPC's that don't do anything

* Though it can and probably does effect gameplay, I absolutely love when enemy groups fight each other.  I believe this was added in Issue 5 for Croatoa and then other zones.  I remember when that issue came out watching a bunch of Redcaps fighting some Cabal and thought it was the neatest thing.  Before that NPC's just mimicked fighting (as they sometimes still do).  I think this is when they added ragdoll physics too.  You're missing out if you haven't seen a full scale battle between Longbow and Arachnos in Siren's Call

* Ragdoll Physics!

* Alternate animations

* Puking

* Badge descriptions.  They've got real thought and lore put into them.  They could of gotten away with meh descriptions for half of them but they    didn't.  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Baumton_Avenger_Badge for example.

* Neighbourhood music.  I'm not really a badge hunter but on the rare occasion I don't want to team, I sometimes collect badges for the merits and something to do that's non combat related.  I think it was Boomtown where hunting I heard music I'd never heard before, perhaps even on live and you don't get more old school than Boomtown.  The fact they added unique music to some corner of a zone that was never highly populated, highlights again the thought and passion that went into the game.

* I'm a sucker for anything Tiki so obviously the Tiki Lounge in Pocket D, but I love that some of the bartenders are spirit masks from Banished Pantheon 😃   

Edited by Thunder Frog

I miss the old mugging misalignment.  Where you have a guy on the ground and someone kneeling over, punching him.

The misalignment of these two characters got so bad at one point, it looked like the mugger was punching the poor sod in the balls.

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

20 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

Isn't that a federal offense in the US?

Only if you read the mail that isn't addressed to you.

3 hours ago, Thunder Frog said:

Puking

I had a Thug/Poison Mastermind on live. If you've never experienced the Poison powerset before it's important to know that the resurrection power causes puking. I can't remember if the puking happens immediately or after a set time but it was pretty funny whenever I got to use it on someone that didn't know about that side effect.

Team mate: Does anyone have a rez?

Me: I DO!

Team mate: Oh gawd, I just threw up in my mask.

Me: Your welcome. 🙂

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2019 at 8:50 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

Using gravity powers around leaves, litter, or other debris causes them to get caught up in the gravity field, which I always find pretty neat.

As a Gravity Dom/Troller summon your pet and then stand next to it using the confetti emote.

3 hours ago, XaoGarrent said:

As a Gravity Dom/Troller summon your pet and then stand next to it using the confetti emote.

Or just summon your pet near the trees in Ouroboros.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:42 AM, Lost Ninja said:

Some of the phone boxes in Faultline can have their doors knocked off (there are some gates there too).

Not only Faultline but Bloody Bay as well, I love doing that when I am there and yes I know its not very heroic 🙂

When I am good I am very good, when I am bad I am better

Love the PhysX stuff, had the Actual Aegea PhysX 4 MB Grafix Co-Processor back in the day before they started integrating PhysX into Video Cards. I would be OOOing and AAHing and people couldn't see what I was reacting to. Glad they just rolled it into the standard graphics now. Ultra mode is Awesome, environmental reflections, seeing yourself reflected in windows adds a real level of realism, and shadows, shadow quality is amazing. I was on one of the freighters fighting Nemesis, it was almost sunset and I could see the shadow of one of the troops as he came toward me from behind. Just cool stuff.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

There's a building in Atlas park, where if you land on the top, some Vahzilok come out of a door entrance. Usually grey conned enemies ignore you, but a couple of times repeating this, one of the vahzilok will say something really creepy. One time it was like "I'm hoping we'll have you for dinner". No aggro (I think I did it with a lev 50, though and they were lev 6). I've only seen 1 door that this happens with, but I'm thinking there must be some other doors that do it and spawn some other common factions that say weird stuff. Anyone?

My favorite thing in the game is that NPCs "notice" you.. They will wave at you or give you the high-five emote when they walk by you on the street. And occasionally will go "Nice costume!" ( acouple of times without thinking about it, I've typed 'Thx!' in local not realizing it was an NPC). And when you finish a mission arc, and are standing in a common area, shortly thereafter an NPC will give you a shout-out. "My Cousin would be dead if it weren't for Hero X!". or "I hear hero X has really got nemesis on the run!" etc.

I think this was just random chance, but one time I was doing a Countess Crey story arc and had to visit a contact in IP. I ran out of the train station in haste before realizing I was at the wrong one (50/50 chance), but noticed there was a Malta gunslinger leaning up against a map at the entrance to the station looking like he was taking a nap. It was odd because I don't think Malta spawn in IP and I just never noticed enemies INSIDE the station. When I got back in and exited the correct station for that contact, I got ambushed by a group of Malta. And my first thought was "that gunslinger was tailing me!" (there was no gunslinger in the ambush mob, but still that's what I thought was happening.)

But I'm easily entertained. I once spent a good 10 minutes just admiring the fact that the shadow from my toon was accurately matching the silhouette of my character down to the detail of the accessories. 

• Like 2

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Heroes: Joan (of Atlas), Monkey, Seismic & Fastball 

43 minutes ago, Marine X said:

I was on one of the freighters fighting Nemesis, it was almost sunset and I could see the shadow of one of the troops as he came toward me from behind. Just cool stuff.

Neat.

39 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

but I'm thinking there must be some other doors that do it and spawn some other common factions that say weird stuff. Anyone?

Sometimes in Grandville an alarm will go off and a bunch of Arachnos soliders will come out a door like they are going on patrol.

I actually just like that doors open and your character runs in when you click on them to start a mission or go to a new area within a mission.  I was bummed when I played CO and clicking on a mission entrance just cuts right to the loading screen.

(To be fair, I could have ended the sentence much sooner: "I was bummed when I played CO" :classic_biggrin:)

Edited by Williwaw

My perspective is based on being a 10-year WoW player, and the little things that make this game the one and only MMO that can successfully make me quit WoW (it's done it twice!)

I love the sheer randomness of the world. While WoW is certainly more developed and "advanced" in many ways, it's only real randomness is in loot drops. Everything else is static assets carefully crafted to seem random without actually being random. All those wild animals, monsters, and hostile enemies out in the open world? There are enough of them that, when you see them walking around it appears to be natural, random movement, but it's not. Every individual creature is walking a specifically-defined path. If you study one creature long enough, you'll figure out the exact path it takes, over and over and over until something interrupts it. There is a small island in WoW populated by murlocs, and if you walk across the island and see the murlocs at ground level, they're spaced out far enough that you just see murlocs going about their business. But fly over that at island, so that you can see the whole island at once, and suddenly it's painfully obvious that those murlocs are spaced out on a perfect square grid, and their animations are perfectly synchronized. While the grid and synchronization are exaggerated in that particular instance, and the "random" mobs elsewhere in the world are not spaced and synched like that, they're still on fixed paths. So as I travel on foot through various areas, I always know to watch out for that bear/wolf/giant spider that will be lurking behind that tree/rock/wagon. And if I kill that murloc, a few minutes later a new murloc will respawn in that same place and start walking the same loop. I can go into an instanced dungeon and find the exact same mobs in the exact same places every single time. If I do the same quests multiple times on multiple alts, it's effectively the same experience every time, except for the methods used to kill the bad guys.

That just doesn't happen in CoH. Right now there might be a small group of Hellions standing on that street corner. I come back in 10 minutes, and they're gone, moved on. I can fly past a billboard a hundred times, and the 101st time, there's a Skull or two kicking back, sitting on the catwalk and watching the world go by, and if I get close enough I can "hear" their conversation. I can run the same instanced mission 20 times, and every time (with a few exceptions) the enemies and the objectives will be in different places, and often on completely different maps that I entered through doors on different buildings, and the specific mix of enemies will vary from one visit to the next. If I'm traveling through a zone on foot, I can't just automatically take a specific "safe" route every time because the locations of the bad guys are different every time. I have to be on my toes.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to WoW being "destination-oriented", while CoH is "journey-oriented". In WoW, all those quests are just hoops to jump through to get yourself to max level, where the "real" game begins. In CoH, the missions are kind of the whole point. When I first played CoH back on live, it somehow didn't bother me at all that it took me most of a year to get my first character to level 50. After rerolling that same character on Homecoming, back in May, she's still only level 45, and is really only that high thanks to the XP boosts. And that's perfectly okay with me. It's actually fun spending most of my time on my 65 (so far) other alts, because CoH is a beautiful journey.

• Like 9