MSR & 64-Bit

Plasmar

There seems to be a problem with the 64-bit software during the Mothership raid in RWZ.

On every raid, I have had several hard crashes where I am booted to desktop.  Speaking with others on the raid, they all also are running 64-bit.  None who have hard crashed are running 32-bit.

• 3 weeks later

I came here to see if anyone else was having the problem I am seeing. 

I run a lot of MSRs, and I use the 64 bit client. What we have noticed is that before and during the raid we tend to have people crash to desktop "in chunks" - usually several players at once - and the common denominator seems to be the 64 bit client.

Yesterday, while running MSRs I crashed to desktop 3 times. Twice was after the pylon phase during the raid, but the other was at PDH as we were recruiting. It "feels" like when this happens the client gets overloaded with chat and/or increased player activity. Yesterday it seemed to be worse than usual - we had several players crashing at about the same time, making it very difficult to assemble teams.

Is there a way to capture something that would be helpful with this?

Counter data point: MSRs are actually smoother for me on the 64-bit client, although I don't think I've had any crashes during a MSR on either client (maybe once on the 32-bit client? would have been before the zone cap fix).  I haven't observed this phenomenon on ship raids either (not in such large numbers anyway), although it's entirely possible most of the people on those raids were just on the 32-bit client.  Could be a server-specific thing* (Excelsior for me) or could be a hardware-specific thing?  This is what I'm running on if you want to compare model/numbers/manufacturer:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz

RAM: 8 GB DDR4 2400

Graphics: Radeon RX 580, 8GB DDR5

*It shouldn't be since we're talking about the client, but who knows.

Edited by darkgob

• City Council
On 10/16/2019 at 7:09 AM, ElPuerco said:

Is there a way to capture something that would be helpful with this?

Not currently, but we have something nearly ready for this that is just waiting on the updated privacy policy that covers crash dump data.

So... soon, and not the trademarked variety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkgob said:

Counter data point: MSRs are actually smoother for me on the 64-bit client, although I don't think I've had any crashes during a MSR on either client (maybe once on the 32-bit client? would have been before the zone cap fix).  I haven't observed this phenomenon on ship raids either (not in such large numbers anyway), although it's entirely possible most of the people on those raids were just on the 32-bit client.  Could be a server-specific thing* (Excelsior for me) or could be a hardware-specific thing?  This is what I'm running on if you want to compare model/numbers/manufacturer:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz

RAM: 8 GB DDR4 2400

Graphics: Radeon RX 580, 8GB DDR5

*It shouldn't be since we're talking about the client, but who knows.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is a server-specific thing, 'cause all of the complaints I've read about massive crashes during MSRs are from players on Everlasting or Indomitable.

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

I'm beginning to wonder if it is a server-specific thing, 'cause all of the complaints I've read about massive crashes during MSRs are from players on Everlasting or Indomitable.

Could be. I'm on Everlasting. I've been using the 32 bit client just for MSRs the past couple of days with no issues.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, ElPuerco said:

Could be. I'm on Everlasting. I've been using the 32 bit client just for MSRs the past couple of days with no issues.

I'm on Excelsior.

So that's probably not it.

Using an AMD processor and a nVidia graphics card and my drivers are up to day (last month or so).

• 4 weeks later

For what it is worth, I've run several MSRs recently on the 64 bit client with no crashes. If I do back-to-back MSRs I do get much more of a slideshow on the second run, but still no crash.

3 hours ago, ElPuerco said:

For what it is worth, I've run several MSRs recently on the 64 bit client with no crashes. If I do back-to-back MSRs I do get much more of a slideshow on the second run, but still no crash.

I've noticed that turning the particle count down (mine is at the minimum, seems to make the difference.