Some Questions From a Completely New Player

Rynjin

2 hours ago, cejmp said:

I do that in the middle of a fight on squishy toons when I'm trying to avoid or shed aggro.  The new slash commands for location AOE's are a godsend. I have a try full of macro's for them on my elec/shield/spring scrapper. 

Shed aggro? That chills me to the very bottom of my blaster soul!  Aggro is life!  (Sorry still not over the nerf to defiance I loved that delicate ballet between uberness and death, plus debt badges!!!!!)

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

12 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

In a team target whoever is the hardiest team member, or the tank/brute. When you fire off a damaging power the game will automatically shoot at who they're targeting, as a buffer type doing this means you can hit the "Tank" with your buffs and heals (etc) and still shoot whoever they're targeting.

I second this, but maybe suggest a melee dps as your target through. As a tank, once we’re down to a few wounded stragglers, I’d be heading off into the next group to try and get them huddled up nicely before the immobs fire off. If everyone was targeting through me, we’d be leaving half-finished lieutenants everywhere.

I am not a new player but I left live in 2010 so DFB and incarnates are both entirely new to me. 

When I made my 12th alt (after running 10 through lvl 20 midnighter arc ugh and farming #11 to 50 to be my farmer) I decided to figure out what DFB was.  I told the team I never did it before and I keep my target through the star and by the 3rd or 4th run I had it down.  I haven't done an incarnate trial yet but I intend to treat it the same way. 

Targetting through the star (or if someone else is effectively leading the team) is an excellent way to learn basic mechanics of both the game and of specific content.  If you are a specific AT you can team with another of your AT and target through them to learn how that AT functions and works in a team setting.  I would suggest learning from several people with differing playstyles so you can then form your own playstyle.  

Basically, go forth and learn how to make your toon shine!  If you prefer solo play then that's fine too, help channel is just a slash away 😄