Power Armor (ranged damage set)

Power Armor - suggestion for a ranged set that could be made available for Blasters, Corruptors, Defenders and Sentinels. This powerset specializes on inflicting -REGEN to enemies (because plasma burns are hard to heal). Powerset is inspired by various adds those wear suit of protective armor, and Arachnos Soldiers do it too, but not everyone wants to play as spider. This my suggestion allows to have more diversity for themes those don't need superpowers to be superhero.

-REGEN effect is not used in any damage sets widely (except, maybe beam rifle, but it has just a couple powers with it). Along with -DAMAGE effect, but that one may be inflicted with another new set - Celestial/Holy Light powerset (Kheldian peacebringers powers transformed into Ranged Set, no crabs or squids or glowing eyes), making the latter awesome choice for Empathy defenders those seek to protect their team. As for Power Armor - its -REGEN is more potent on Defenders too.

But more closely to Our current set - Power Armor - it utilizes various high tech weapons, built in your armored suit, and these weapons may be fired separately or even together (Heavy Ordnance Ability?) to lay waste at your enemies. This is mah first version of this set: it's not final and is still open for extra ideas:

Tier 1: Plasma Blast

Click, Single Target

Projects a bolt of plasma at a targeted enemy from your Hand Cannon. Low damage, but fast recharge and animation. Lowers enemy's Regeneration Rate.

X Energy Damage.

-50% (-66.7% for Defender) -REGEN for X sec. (Ignores Buffs and Enhancements)

Accept Enhancement Sets: Ranged Damage, Universal Damage Sets, ATO

Tier 2: Plasma Burst

Click, Single Target

Projects several small bolts of plasma at a targeted enemy in rapid succession. Has bigger activation & recharge times, but bigger damage as well. Lowers enemy's Regeneration Rate.

X ticks of Y Energy Damage for Z sec.

-50% (-66.7% for Defender) -REGEN for X sec (more than Plasma Blast). (Ignores Buffs and Enhancements)

Tier 3: Chest Plasma Wave

Click, Midrange Cone AoE (range is lower than the rest of Power Armor powers), 10 targets max (6 for Sentinels)

Releases a massive wave of energized plasma in front of you, dealing damage to your enemies, lowering their Regeneration Rate and potentially Knocking them Down.

X Energy Damage.

20% Chance to 0.67 Magnitude Knockback.

Accept Enhancement Sets: Targeted AoE Damage, Universal Damage Sets, ATO

Animation: like lDF human enemies in respective Incarnate Trial (where you don't shoot civilians) shoot at you - a ringed wave.

Tier 4: Charged Plasma Blast

Click, Single Target

Charges up and launches at enemy highly concentrated two-handed ball of supercharged plasma. Has noticeable windup time and rather slow recharge, but is also a lot more potent. It lowers Regeneration Rate for a decent time, and also briefly holds the target.

X Energy Damage.

3 Magnitude Hold for X sec.

Accept Enhancement Sets: Ranged Damage, Universal Damage Sets, ATO, Holds

Tier 5: Aim

(may be exchanged for some extra thematic power you can imagine or just renamed to "Lock On" or something)

Tier 6: Rocket Launcher

Click, Targeted Sphere AoE, 15' radius, 16 targets max (10 for Sentinels)

Locks on and fires at a targeted enemy an explosive missile. Explosion radius hits all nearby enemies as well. Rocket blast can Knock some enemies Down.

X Lethal Damage.

50% change to 0.67 Magnitude Knockback

Animation: left shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. Animation time is long, so is recharge time, but it's compensated with damage.

Tier 7: Hunter Drone

Toggle

When toggle active it's PBAoE 80 ft Damage, but 1 Targets max, suppresses when you are not in battle. Detoggles upon mezzing.

While active - a technologically advanced drone hovers around you, locks on at nearby enemy and assaults it with plasma bolts. This is a toggle power and it consumes your Endurance while active. Plasma shots from Drone cannon can reduce enemy Regeneration Rate. The drone cannot be damaged, however, this power may be detoggled by mezzing owner.

When this toggle ticks:

X Energy Damage.

Technically free damage, neat, right?..

Tier 8: Machine Gun

Click, Targeted Narrow Cone AoE (5 degrees cone), full range (80' for Blaster), 3 Targets Max

Barrages several targets on a line with deadly burst of armor piercing rounds. These round also can reduce targets' Resistance to all damage types for a while.

X ticks of Y Lethal Damage over Z sec.

-X Resistance to all Damage. (Ignores Buffs and Enhancements)

Animation: right shoulder-mounted minigun. Animation time is long, recharge time, though, allows chains like Plasma Blast->Charged Plasma Blast->Plasma Blast->Machine Gun for single targets.

Tier 9: Heavy Ordnance

Click, Targeted Sphere AoE (20' radius), 16 Targets Max (10 for Sentinels)

Unleash everything you have got at your disposal and fiercely assault location around the targeted foe, dealing Extreme Energy and Lethal damage to everyone nearby. This significantly lowers Regeneration rate of enemies, and has fair chance to Knock Down or Stun them.

X ticks of Y Energy Damage over Z sec.

X ticks of Y Lethal Damage over Z sec.

-50% (-66.7% for Defender) -REGEN for X sec (long time).

80% chance to 0.67 Magnitude Knockback.

50% chance to 3 Magnitude Stun for X sec.

Accept Enhancement Sets: Targeted AoE Damage, Universal Damage Sets, ATO, Stuns

Animation: unified plasma beam from both Hand Cannons and Chest Cannon, together with shooting both Rocket Launcher and Machine Gun. This cover targeted area with 2 explosions - energy explosion from plasma weapons and ballistic explosion from the rocket.

*Names are not final.

Edited by Purrfekshawn
  • Like 5

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

5 hours ago, Megajoule said:

orrrrr, you could just play an Energy Blast/Invulnerability Sentinel, Tech origin, with an appropriate costume.

IMO, we don't need unique powersets and/or ATs for every single concept.

But there you won't have minigun, rocket launcher, an attack drone hovering around you and T9 power that make you launch everything at enemy.

Energy Blast can be used to make up Celestial-themed characters, yet there's a standalone server with Holy Light powers (repurposed from Kheldian Peacebringers).

Ayway, mah task is just to suggest making something, not to insist on doing it.

Edited by Purrfekshawn
  • Like 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

I'd recommend retitling the set and this thread with an Edit.  Power Armour is already a Power in the game, as part of the Energy Aura set.  And the word "Armour" immediately conjures concepts of a mitigation set, not an attack set.

Your "Ordinance" name idea wasn't too far off.  Maybe spitball some more suitable and evocative names from there?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I'd recommend retitling the set and this thread with an Edit.  Power Armour is already a Power in the game, as part of the Energy Aura set.  And the word "Armour" immediately conjures concepts of a mitigation set, not an attack set.

Your "Ordinance" name idea wasn't too far off.  Maybe spitball some more suitable and evocative names from there?

Actually, I think you're referring to 'Energy Aura'.  Either way, OP, your best bet is to go with a 'Crab Spider Soldier', since they use a lot of integrate weaponry.  You can do things like create a sentinel, blaster, or even certain dominators, to reflect different notions of a power-armor user.  I get the gist of your initial post - wanting to be able to mix energy weapons, projectile weapons, and various other facets of gear built into your armor, but I think that notion is just too specific in origin.  It would be nice if there were more options for power animations, but with a little creativity, you can really pull off a power armor user quite well. 

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

It was Power Shield I was thinking of, specifically.  My mistake!  

Still, calling an Attack Set "Armour" of any variety is still well past the iffy line for thematic consistency in my books.

Then call it "power suit" or "integrated weaponry".  The point, IMO, is that it's more about the animations that such a set would use, and how it would combine things like energy blasts, projectile weapons, and various munitions, all into 1 set...

Edited by biostem

This could be accomplished through power customization. 

Either a non crabby crab spider, or adding/appropriating some sort of built in weapon assets to blast sets. 

Assets you'd need to make it work as a new power set anyway.  

Power Armor is the stealth power replacement in the Energy Aura for Sentinels. 

If you look at the below images, many Crey power armor-wearing units share the same backpack/over-the-shoulder piece;  I wonder if those round "ports" could be made into power emanation points...

Crey_Eliminator.jpg 286px-Crey_Crisis_Unit.jpg 319px-Crey_Juggernaut.jpg Crey_Protector.jpg

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

Integrated weapons from a backpack worn with or without power armor. That's a really comic book hero concept there. Oh, as a side note, I wish I could have varied weapons like rocket launchers and whatnot like these Space Marine/Halo looking dudes.

Edited by Shazbotacus

38 minutes ago, Shazbotacus said:

Integrated weapons from a backpack worn with or without power armor. That's a really comic book hero concept there. Oh, as a side note, I wish I could have varied weapons like rocket launchers and whatnot like these Space Marine/Halo looking dudes.

I'm just trying to think of ways to make the concepts work, and how to use existing assets to do so.  They could just as easily have little guns pop out of your shoulders or forearms.  Given that comics encompass the full gamut of power sources/origins, backpacks aren't that far fetched...

Hm, those Praetorian bots that Arachnos and Longbow stole... re-purposed, re-engineered, whatever, have some animations that involve using some kind of directed energy weapon from their right shoulder, and for weapons mounted on their forearms. That being said they are, though appropriate for the NPC they're used on, very stiff and "robotic" in nature and that might not fly with everyone's role play. These can be useful, possibly among other animations such as the Crab pack you probably already mentioned or others I may not be remembering right now.

Edited by Shazbotacus
  • Like 1

I think power customization would fix this issue. 

As mentioned Energy coming from a gun or shoulder cannon would afford the same effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think in general the answer to this family of suggestions should look like ...

Can you do what is suggested now?

Do we actually need it?

Can we get there with power customization of existing sets?

If not can we somehow use an existing set from another AT?

If not can we add a new powerset to get there? 

If not can we add an AT to get there?

We probably never need another AT.

IMO people want to jump to new Powersets and new ATs far too casually.

• Like 1

Yes, we have lots of stuff that is like a power armour set and have NPCs that have other attacks that would be in a power armour set. I get it. However, we already have a number of power sets that are like previous ones. So, I am all for cobbling together a Power Armour set option! I posted it in the suggestions thread and here are some of my ideas.

-This PA set could contain the electric AoE attack like the newer Clocks have

-The grenade/bomb launcher as seen in Freakshow bosses

-Missile launch AoE - same animations that you see in various NPC items such as the Arachnos flyer (love that animation where missiles fire and have that somewhat indirect smoke trail to the target!)

-a gattling gun type item with various animations (Champions online had one that would work its way up and set up on the toon's shoulder).

-have options on where you want to launch some of the weapons (ex. missiles from the chest or pop-up shoulder launchers etc)

-laser beams (firing location options: hand(s), eyes, chest etc)

-an energy sword or built in metallic sword etc

-armor upgrade

-Nuke tier 9 power (missile, bomb, etc)

-analyzer (yes, we have it, I know)

-the list could easily go on....

Alts are a driving force in CoX and this is contributing to that! :D I don't think it'd be too tough to add so why not? I see the other CoX servers have cobbled together new power sets that are a lot like things already in game. If it doesn't take a lot of work then why not add it :)

• Like 2

• 7 months later

First off, I'd like to apologize for the necro post. I wanted to suggest an idea similar to this, but @Purrfekshawn beat me to it. I'm sure there were others before him. but he was the latest one I found.

For the most part, I'd love to have a 'power armor' primary set, though I'd choose a name like 'Internal Munitions'. Other than the small nitpick, I love the idea. @BurtHutt made some very good points and I have nothing to add. If the devs decide to implement this idea, I can see a massive flock of people wanting to test this new powerset and a majority of them sticking with it.

EDIT: Blaster/Sentinel mains would love it, but I can also see coruptors and defenders getting a kick out of it too. May even work for tankers and brutes if done correctly.

Edited by Shock Star

In order for this to work properly, it would pretty much have to be handled like an Epic Archetype, rather than a universally selectable power set.   A proper "power armor" power set would require too many unique animation hardpoints (shoulder guns, wrist lasers, chest beams, custom rocket launchers, etc) that simply wouldn't play well with being universally available to people with costumes of near infinite variety.    It's basically the same reason the Arachnos Spiders have basically nothing when it comes to diverse costume customization options.

Now, if you wanted to make a "power suit" epic archetype, sure, then you could go hog wild.  You would just have to make sure that it doesn't end up drawing the ire of someone like Marvel because it ends up looking too close to IronMan / WarMachine for comfort.

Edited by SurfD
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, Haijinx said:

Do we actually need it?

We technically don't *need* anything.  We didn't need Shock Therapy but now it's a support set.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, Haijinx said:

IMO people want to jump to new Powersets and new ATs far too casually.

It's usually the go-to option for things we don't have.  One could possibly add or change an existing set to accommodate more concepts or mechanics, but with many add-ons and changes, they are either very generic a plain (Martial Art's alternate animations) or undesired (people don't want the Charge mechanic added to Energy Melee) so you could incorporate new ideas into new sets or ATs instead.

That said, one thing I want from new sets isn't particularly a unique coat of paint (although that's a plus), I personally desire new playstyles and mechanics.  -Regen, while useful in some fights, is a very boring effect.  It hardly does anything in normal fights so building a set around it without some other style difference is a hard sell for me.  Consider that Beam Rifle also has -regen...but it's main mechanic is Disintegration which spreads to nearby targets and increases the damage of your attacks.  I guess this set does have a modified Voltaic Sentinel which is kind of rare but none of the powers plays off of it.

Something cool I'd like to play with in the game: maybe a multiple-snipe blast set...or a self toggle power that turns your next blast into an interruptible "snipe" that powers it up.  Sort of like a "hold down the button" charge mechanic (which I don't believe is possible here) or a kind of reverse Titan Weapon's momentum where you turn on the toggle and the next blast can to "power up" until you turn the toggle off for bigger damage and grander effect.

IDF have a nice rocketpod launcher that would work quite well with this set and we could use the assault bots blaster gauntlets for your t1/t2 powers.  I also think the arachnos flier laser chain gun would make a nice attack. Clockwork have the chest beam attack as well.

Yep I've always wanted power armor and lol at the people asking do we really need this? The hell is wrong with you?

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 1:22 AM, Noyjitat said:

IDF have a nice rocketpod launcher that would work quite well with this set and we could use the assault bots blaster gauntlets for your t1/t2 powers.  I also think the arachnos flier laser chain gun would make a nice attack. Clockwork have the chest beam attack as well.

Yep I've always wanted power armor and lol at the people asking do we really need this? The hell is wrong with you?

I've been wanting the heavy assault backpack & its macross missile massacre powers since live

Also the heavy assault would make for a fine epic AT for gold side

On 10/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, biostem said:

Then call it "power suit" or "integrated weaponry".  The point, IMO, is that it's more about the animations that such a set would use, and how it would combine things like energy blasts, projectile weapons, and various munitions, all into 1 set...

I'm all in favor of more Animations / Blast Emanation Points.  

I don't think they should be done for only one set.  

And I wouldn't want to see any one set that's overly tied to a Tech-Suited look, as I think all sets should be justifyable for all Origins.  Yes, I know Crab Packs are a failing in this regard, but it's a failing I don't want repeated, and honestly, I'd like more Crab Pack looks... a crab back with Skeletal spider arms, or Arachnoid arms, or translucent/ghostly/celestial arms, etc, would go a LONG way to making Soldiers easier to fit into any Origin.

I suppose Archery will always be tied to a Bow, but I'd want any new blast emanation points useable by Fire Blast, or Ice Blast, or Rad Blast, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

I'd like to take the time to say two things.

I'm sorry for the necro post, but I really like this idea and think it could be executed very well.

Second question is for @Purrfekshawn. Is it alright if I post a link to this thread as a signature? The reasoning behind my question is that so I can hopefully get more people to see and discuss this idea.