Taskforce sabatage

Mansome

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

Near the end of the Live days, for instance, a lot of speedrunning practices had begun to creep into even "regular" TF play on the servers that I played on... so people who primarily remember those days, or who only ever knew the speedster's way of doing things, just might not realize that what they're doing ISN'T the traditional, low-key way to go about it. To them, that *is* just the usual way the TF was done.

I think you’re right, and this was a pretty big contributor to me stopping playing the game on live. Not so much that I disagreed with the playstyle, but as a casual player who played a few months on and a few months off it was very hard to enjoy new content when I couldn’t afford a build that could keep up with the team, nor go at a pace that made the TF’s narrative feel coherent.

But I think this is a general MMO issue anyway. It’s much worse in swtor, where a cutscene is only skipped if all players try and skip it, but many players get irate if you don’t. If you’re a month or two late to new content, you might not have the opportunity to enjoy it at a slower pace.

HC’s soloable TFs and more affordable economy go a REALLY long way to solving that problem for me.

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

I listen on discord to some folks while we play, and I cannot fathom how they managed to level a character up. They seem helpless and clueless about the simplest of things. I just remind myself that a dozen years ago, I was a guy who had no idea what to slot. I thought that the "enhancements allowed" meant I was supposed to put one of each of those enhancements in the power. So every power got as many slots as needed to slot every allowed type of enhancement. While the savvy folks were slotting 1 acc, 4 damage, 2 recharge or similar, I was slotting 1 acc, 1 dam, 1 end redux, 1 rech, 1 slow, 1 range. 

Then suddenly, about level 26, I have this new power that takes 8 different kinds of enhancements, but I could only fit 6 slots. I thought the game was broken! So, I try not to judge ignorance harshly.

Back in '04, leveling my first few characters, I thought you could only combine enhancements that were already slotted into a power.  No combining from the tray.  Took me at least a month to figure that out.

• Like 1

Daang.  Well!  If I can save others from making the same dumb mistakes I did, I'm glad!

EDIT: To clarify, I mean that I thought you could only combine enhancements that were BOTH already slotted in a power - not one in the power and one from the tray.  As far as I know, you can't combine in the tray and then slot that into the power (but why would you want to?)

Edited by Megajoule
  • Like 2

Task FOrces have been a  bit of a contentious beast in this game since year one. I still grimly recall my first posi so many years ago. more then 6 hours, only 3 of us still left from the full team that began, and then just as the boss at the end was about to die I get DCd and didnt even get the damn SO that was so special for low lvls back then.

Such was not an uncommon first TF experience I came to learn, and a great majority of the population learned to ignore them entirely. I seem to recall a post on the old forums by the devs admitting that so few of the total population played the original TFs that every time they wanted to do a new one it would lead to weeks of debate among the devs if it was even worth bothering. You can see how later TFs like Penny Yin replaced old long drawn out ones with faster frenetic stories.

Hence how basically anyone who being a stubborn and defiant sod like meself and chose to keep doing TFs, also very quickly adapted builds to them. My very next character adopted what I called the TF leader pool kit. stealth, SS, and recall friend by lvl 14 on any toon I meant to lead TFs with. While no hard speed runner I then and now strove to keep TFs timely, because every hour there at the computer, is another hour someone may have to leave due to RL and miss out on the end reward. Ive had TF teams where due to RL emergency someone has had to leave a few missions before the end, and I always feel as if I have failed them. My goal when I begin a tf is to see everyone who begins it finish it and have a fun time, while also not wasting time.

When it comes to XP and drops, I put that burden on each individual. I dont join a tf team and expect them to wipe out the masses so I benefit. I bring the aoe and kill just as fast alone as in a  team for the most part. So even when leading a TF I always say you do you, stay together if you need it, but I dont hold back, I dont corner pull etc. I go to the heart of the threat and cut it out and eat it with a grin of madness upon my lips.

Even if there is a tankr etc on point, I dont follow, I use the map and go where I deem it. Follow, fall, but do not presume to think you know better then I about the 5Ws of my character. Followers follow, leaders lead, and gods walk where they will on a whim with no concern for what is trod under foot.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, Lazarillo said:

When we got to the final mission, she ATT-ed everyone straight to the final room...and the leader ATT-ed everyone right back to the beginning to fight through.

That is magnificent.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

7 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:
On 10/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, Lazarillo said:

When we got to the final mission, she ATT-ed everyone straight to the final room...and the leader ATT-ed everyone right back to the beginning to fight through.

That is magnificent.

That is exactly why I always leave Prompt Team Teleport enabled.

I generally don't give a crap about what other players do in a team so long as it isn't disruptive. Want to solo a branch of a cave? Go right ahead if you can do it and your absence doesn't put the rest of the team in trouble. If the team leader sets some ground rules that don't allow that, I'm fine with that too so long as they're stated up front and not after the fact. By default I expect something between a speed run and defeat all: go basically as fast as possible without skipping fights unless someone has invisibility and can stealth the objectives.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later

Sorry I don't read the whole thread but some of the posts.

Was the player pulling extra groups putting the team in constat danger, e.g. multiple successive wipes? Because on my /rad corruptor I will often grab additional groups with my toggles and drag them to the main group. It speeds things up, I makes things a little more exciting. Too many players think something is not right if their health bar drops down. Live little, adrenalin is good for you.

Now if you constantly wipe, that's something else ...

If some player has a lot of knockback, I will go find another group rather than chasing. I hate knockback, I love knockdown, there is an IO for that. I'm not asking to stop using it, I just chose not to deal with the group you are fighting.

Conversely, if the tank complains that the hurricane I use to push an entire room into a corner before unleashing my AoEs " screws up with their SS defense", I'll go find my own room to clear.

I can solo +4x8 on just about all my 50s, but I prefer teaming, I'll solo "next to the team" when we're getting in each other's way.

Also the "hit every crystal and run behavior" could be that of a player that doesn't understand the difference between running a speed vs normal ITF. Was it clear during recruiting? Did you explain why he was killing the group? Or was he? If the rat of the group can deal with the stacked up ambushes, who cares...

There are many ways to play the game, and the fun of teaming is the unpredictability of it all