Dual Pistols/Willpower Build?

That Ninja

Welcome to Sentinels. 

I've included some links below because this is not the first time this pairing has been discussed.  Maybe those threads will give you some ideas.  There are some builds in those as well as a lot of discussion.

Sorry I am not posting a build, but I have a reason for that.  That reason is that Dual Pistols is incredibly flexible.  You can make entirely viable builds in so many different ways with the set.  I wrote about Dual Pistols (and Willpower) in the sticky of this subforum (also included below).  The Dual Pistol write-up is really long.  It is that long because I find the set to be that complex.  I also update it as I discover new things. 

So my recommendation to you, or anyone else taking a look at Dual Pistols, is to explore the set as a first time user.  Seriously.  Just take everything as you go and see what you like/don't like.  Homecoming gives you a free respec every 10 levels.  By level 50 that's 5 respecs.  I've used far more than that on the live server even after spending hours on the test server playing with builds. 

To distill this advice even further...

Willpower.  Its an incredibly simple secondary that doesn't require any attention (no real clicks to manage) and doesn't require a lot of slots (see the second link).  You can skip Resurgence (self revive) and maybe Strength of Will (proactive resistance enhancer - personal preference on use). 

Dual Pistols.  For Sentinels the single-target damage attacks mature by level 18.  All 4 of them (Pistols, Dual Wield, Suppressive Fire, Executioner's Shot) are valuable in their own way.  Only skip one of those if you're planning on having a lot of recharge in your build.  Otherwise, don't skip them while you level.  Empty Clips can work as a filler for single-target if you like, but it is better for its purpose as a cone attack.  Bullet Rain is a targeted AoE meaning it hits the highest number of targets (10) making it very efficient against large groups.  I don't recommend skipping it.  Piercing Rounds is a unique power that is a very narrow cone (hits only 3 targets) but does high damage at the cost of long recharge/animation time.  Both Empty Clips and Piercing Rounds can be skipped if you wish.  Hail of Bullets is the final power and it does the most area damage in the set, temporarily boosts your positional defense, and knocks down targets at the end of the animation (variable chance depending on ammunition status - see my write-up for more).  Finally, Swap Ammo is the tool that makes your powers flexible in terms of what kind of effects they can impose on enemies.  If nothing else, Incendiary Ammunition is a straight up damage increase that you should not sleep on. 

Check out

(Edit: In my reply in this on this link, which was months ago, I talk about chance for Build-Up procs negatively.  I currently use the Decimation: Chance for Build-Up in my build.  However, I recognize that the chance to activate that on paper is pretty low.  In practice it works due to how often I use the power it is slotted in.  Still... I stand my statement on being very cautious on trying to shoehorn in Build-Up via procs.  Just because a planner like Mid's shows a massive DPS boost during that effect does not translate into actual game play. It can be useful, but it is more advanced discussion as to why.)

And

And for more in depth reading

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

One issue I have with Swap ammo is that it suppresses the -Def proc from many of the sets other powers. This makes it a lot less valuable as the -Def will increase the accuracy of your entire team...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Not home ATM..

But I think you can Defense cap with DP and Will Power which is pretty dam great. Or it could be Bio.. 

I will look tonight when I get home

Edit - Just seen another post on this forum.. 

It is WillPower.. 

So if Oldskool didn't post in a link it is here. Just search this forum for willpower if you want it now.

Edited by plainguy

20 hours ago, plainguy said:

But I think you can Defense cap with DP and Will Power which is pretty dam great. Or it could be Bio..

I won't say its not possible, but I will say I don't think it is worth it. 

Willpower does not easily get close to 40% defense to Smashing/Lethal.  You need some slotting investment and specific IOs to pull that off.  You can easily get into the upper 20's low 30's on the damage types on Willpower.  WP is typed, not positional, and positional options on Sentinels are pretty much a dumpster fire without melee attacks or really heavy slotting on secondary powers. 

If you rely on the Incarnate system to cap you off, then that's a bit more forgiving but only applies in level 45+ content.  Dual Pistols isn't really that special on softcapping.  Hail of Bullets has a roughly 10% positional defense buff that lasts for 5 seconds on a 24-30+ cool down.  Not reliable enough to make it a cornerstone of a build. 

Still, I won't say its impossible because some people are pretty damn creative.

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

I won't say its not possible, but I will say I don't think it is worth it. 

Willpower does not easily get close to 40% defense to Smashing/Lethal.  You need some slotting investment and specific IOs to pull that off.  You can easily get into the upper 20's low 30's on the damage types on Willpower.  WP is typed, not positional, and positional options on Sentinels are pretty much a dumpster fire without melee attacks or really heavy slotting on secondary powers. 

If you rely on the Incarnate system to cap you off, then that's a bit more forgiving but only applies in level 45+ content.  Dual Pistols isn't really that special on softcapping.  Hail of Bullets has a roughly 10% positional defense buff that lasts for 5 seconds on a 24-30+ cool down.  Not reliable enough to make it a cornerstone of a build. 

Still, I won't say its impossible because some people are pretty damn creative.

No I was wrong.. 

It was super reflexes..  Super gives Positional  Defense cap.

Energy Aura will give you  Typed Defense cap. Minus Psi. 

Was talking out of my backside, sorry

• Thanks 1