Population down?

Dragone

I rarely checked the server numbers but just my personal experience has been that Excelsior used to be at high with three red dots almost every time I logged on, no matter if it was right after work or dinner of for a quick few missions before bed, weekdays or weekends. Now it is low to moderate, with one or two yellow dots.

But that is probably part of a general trend where the flash mob hit it shortly after it became public and people have been drifting away now that the new has worn off. The population seems to have been dropping slowly over the last month or two and now with the onset of the holiday season that has no doubt exacerbate things a bit what with people getting pulled away for family stuff.

It is a trend I expect to continue until they get the legal stuff worked out and can start promoting the game as "official".

Edited by quixoteprog

Still seeing a lot of new people here and in the help channel that are true first time players, and that is good to see. Think we lost some people over the Policy changes but I'm not surprised. Seems people don't like being told there are going to be rules even on a rogue server. It'll all work out.

• Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I suspect that the release of WoW Classic, Fallout 4, and Borderlands 3 have also had an affect on player populations.

• Like 5

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I'm not playing quite as frequently, but I am playing.  Probably due to the fact that, at least for the time being, I feel pretty comfortable that when I want to play, it's here.  Those first few months, I think a lot of folks were playing like mad just in case it all ended suddenly.  Now, we are settling in for the longer haul.  As someone above mentioned, this is probably just the state of things until the results of the negotiations are announced, and are (hopefully) favorable.  Then, they can go out and advertise this game to the universe at large, at which time, I'm guessing we'd get a fresh influx of players.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

Its also back to school season, 12 years passing has turned people like me into old farts with kids we have to get ready for bed, and also homework.

So I would imagine some of the younger players are back to HS or college as well.

I know for a fact 4 of my groups regulars are back to school, or has kids that are, and it's just a busy time.

• Like 2

To the question: maybe?  Seems that, as with Live, I managed to pick the server with the lowest population, which is nearly dead at the hours I tend to play, which is overnight.  Yay me!  Anyone need a duo or someone for a team on Indomitable, let me know!

I figure it's school, the other games, and the crush of OMG the game is back! being over now.  I don't think we're sudden;y going to reduce down to bare bones population anytime soon.  But we might have to switch servers or something, or that might just be me.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I rarely checked the server numbers but just my personal experience has been that Excelsior used to be at high with three red dots almost every time I logged on, no matter if it was right after work or dinner of for a quick few missions before bed, weekdays or weekends. Now it is low to moderate, with one or two yellow dots.

One thing to remember is that those dots are server load, which does not necessarily directly correlate to population. It's dependent on what those people are doing at the time. Upgrades in server capacity and/or power can lower the server load with the same population. I'm not saying the population isn't down, just that the dots aren't an absolute indicator. It wouldn't be unexpected if it is, the initial flood is dying off. But that's not anything to panic over.

Edited by THEDarkTyger
  • Like 2

Playing on Excelsior.   Been back about 1 month.  Frankly, I'm shocked at how easily I can get a team to do almost anything I want.  Frankly, I don't remember Live being this easy to gather TF groups and Radio teams.  So, if the population is down, it's not hurting anything yet.

And, I agree with the comment above about disliking the Holloween event. 

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow