The Coding Thread!

The Philotic Knight

@The Philotic Knight, your tracker link isn't working for me. I'm excited to see it, though. My AV and a VirusTotal scan made me wary of Pine's Tracker so I'm looking forward to having more alternatives.

Do you get some sort of error message? Can you post a screen shot of what's going on? This is the first that I'm hearing of a problem.

What channel on Discord does the programming / data chat happen in?

It seems to be very disparate. There doesn't seem to be any centralized community, everyone's sort of doing their own thing. Which, to some degree bothers me, but to another degree makes me excited for the future and curious to see what all these groups come up with. I do wish though, that there was a more permanent place for information sharing about code. It looks like Project Ouroboros is the best source, but a Wiki is not a very good place for a long term dialogue, more like a collection of monologues.

@The Philotic Knight, your tracker link isn't working for me. I'm excited to see it, though. My AV and a VirusTotal scan made me wary of Pine's Tracker so I'm looking forward to having more alternatives.

Do you get some sort of error message? Can you post a screen shot of what's going on? This is the first that I'm hearing of a problem.

If he was clicking on your dropbox link, FWIW that worked for me and I was able to download it.

It seems to be very disparate. There doesn't seem to be any centralized community, everyone's sort of doing their own thing. Which, to some degree bothers me, but to another degree makes me excited for the future and curious to see what all these groups come up with. I do wish though, that there was a more permanent place for information sharing about code. It looks like Project Ouroboros is the best source, but a Wiki is not a very good place for a long term dialogue, more like a collection of monologues.

You are a programmer by trade, as you mentioned.

I too, am a geek.

How many, even professional, geeks do you know that are good about documenting what they just made? ;)

I can think of two in 30 years of being a geek...

You are a programmer by trade, as you mentioned.

I too, am a geek.

How many, even professional, geeks do you know that are good about documenting what they just made? ;)

I can think of two in 30 years of being a geek...

Well I, for one, HAVE TO, because I have the short term memory of a goldfish. I have FANTASTIC operating specs in my human CPU, but terrible ROM. If I don't write EVERYTHING down, I forget it immediately after. So *raises hand* documentation FTW here. Half of my .NET programs are filled with green comments all over.

Well I, for one, HAVE TO, because I have the short term memory of a goldfish. I have FANTASTIC operating specs in my human CPU, but terrible ROM. If I don't write EVERYTHING down, I forget it immediately after. So *raises hand* documentation FTW here. Half of my .NET programs are filled with green comments all over.

Then realize you are an anomaly. :)

The saying 'the code is the documentaion' is what I deal with all day, everyday. :)

Question, and sorry if its been answered else where. feel free to point me in the right direction.

i setup the i25 VM for me and my buddy to mess around with. we use homecoming for our main gaming. But for my home server is it possible to change the shard name. ive been tinkering and it just stays at paragon, or one of the other 15 names that a prebuild into the db.

is it something that needs some serious skills to alter?

Question, and sorry if its been answered else where. feel free to point me in the right direction.

i setup the i25 VM for me and my buddy to mess around with. we use homecoming for our main gaming. But for my home server is it possible to change the shard name. ive been tinkering and it just stays at paragon, or one of the other 15 names that a prebuild into the db.

Looks like it might be this file?

https://ourowiki.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=I25_mission_server.cfg

Looks like it might be this file?

https://ourowiki.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=I25_mission_server.cfg

Thanks for the link, i saw this but wasnt sure what to do with it. or how that would relate to creating a shard named evo, or gotham etc. Just want it so when we login to our own server it has our own group name in the login page. its just an asthetic.

*pictures PK's computer*

SuqtwPX.jpg

or maybe

ZFmbWGV.jpg

FYI, my new PC opened up the Excel file in like 10 seconds. O5khXA8.gif

I'm now thinking of making an app that'll load the data into a GUI so that people can just browse the data without having to mess with a giant spreadsheet..... but I'm not sure if there's a desire for that at all.

I'm now thinking of making an app that'll load the data into a GUI so that people can just browse the data without having to mess with a giant spreadsheet..... but I'm not sure if there's a desire for that at all.

*ahem*

Some of us consider City of Data to be useful even now ...

/em polite cough

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

*ahem*

Some of us consider City of Data to be useful even now ...

/em polite cough

Ah, well just a word of warning, this will be raw, mostly unfiltered, data. What I'm making won't be NEARLY a nice looking as that website... to start with at least. Because it will be a pure data dump... I haven't spent the time looking at the data itself to see what might be useful to players and what might not be, so you'll be getting EVERYTHING. It probably won't be pretty.

Also, until I can find an appropriate SQL host for the purpose, I'm just going to use the Excel file as my "database", so the program will probably take several minutes to open. This will all be cured once I have a SQL server setup and the data shoved into a database. Then the data will load VERY quickly. But, until then, the only way I can think of getting the data is taking the entire spreadsheet and shoving it into a DataSet, then filtering it down from there.

Well, here it is...

[glow=white,2,300]PK's Powers Checker![/glow]

(click giant text above to download)

Until I can find a good free/cheap SQL host, the "database" is an Excel file, so I have to load the ENTIRE file into memory... and depending on your computer, it could take a while....

Loading Powers:

IhjUSMm.png

Loading AttribMods:

Gdd2cOG.png

BUT... once it has loaded, you have access to ALL of the raw data from the i25 server's Powers.def file. Now, what that MEANS, you kind of have to look at it and figure it out for yourself, I did NOT filter anything down for ease of use, and it's all kind of ugly:

pMyisbp.png

BUT, if you'd like to store a subset of the information, say for only a given power or archetype, you can export from either grid by right clicking and choosing "Export Data", and it will export that view into an Excel file:

c8XKxII.png

9CUBEot.png

txEfjqL.png

Jm4NydZ.png

Like I said, it's kind of nasty, but it's a start. I'll make it into an ASP website as soon as I have found a good SQL host to ensure that the pages don't take FOREVER to load.

I am trying my best to imagine what the heck Personal_Force_Field could possibly have to do with ANIM_THROWSTAR (line 3 of your spreadsheet).

You've been coming at this entirely from the perspective of exporting of game data, but in the process, I feel like you're demystifying a lot about how these powers are made and what components will be needed to make new ones.  What do you suppose the likelihood is that some day, this will help us have a utility to inject new, modified entries for people running private servers?  Obviously, not stuff with new functionality (that would require coding elsewhere I'm sure) but if a lot of these powers are simply databases of attributes, what stops us from making a Personal_Force_Field_2 with slightly modified attributes?

I realize this is like seeing a paper airplane and jumping straight to "will this take us to the Moon?"

I am trying my best to imagine what the heck Personal_Force_Field could possibly have to do with ANIM_THROWSTAR (line 3 of your spreadsheet).

You've been coming at this entirely from the perspective of exporting of game data, but in the process, I feel like you're demystifying a lot about how these powers are made and what components will be needed to make new ones.  What do you suppose the likelihood is that some day, this will help us have a utility to inject new, modified entries for people running private servers?  Obviously, not stuff with new functionality (that would require coding elsewhere I'm sure) but if a lot of these powers are simply databases of attributes, what stops us from making a Personal_Force_Field_2 with slightly modified attributes?

I realize this is like seeing a paper airplane and jumping straight to "will this take us to the Moon?"

There's nothing stopping anyone with access to the source code from doing anything that you're talking about, except time, and experience/skill.

There's nothing stopping anyone with access to the source code from doing anything that you're talking about, except time, and experience/skill.

Clarification: a utility for duplicating/editing game data for idiots like me.

FYI, link in my signature. I'll probably start moving my own coding "talk" to that site rather than this thread or my thread in Excelsior... no point in updating forum threads since I have my own space now:

So, I put up a "beta" Wordpress site, because I'm no artist, used Paint to create a dumb looking logo, just to have a place to centralize all of my stuff. I now own the domain "CityOfPlayers" for the next decade, and I'm frankly SHOCKED that nobody else had already taken the name:

tvGqMdU.png

Trust me, it *WILL* get better. Right now, I'm just trying to make it functional. I'll worry more about making it pretty later. I'm going to be moving the Dev Tracker onto this server Soon™, as soon as I can figure out how to get the script to NOT timeout on the server... for some reason it always times out there, but doesn't timeout on that free server... WEIRD.