The Coding Thread!

The Philotic Knight

That's the Holy Grail @Black Orchid II. There's supposed to be a way to do it by "hacking" the mapserver executable, and I think either @Sif and/or @RubyRed might have accomplished this task, but as I recall, those efforts were limited to the purposes of their specific applications. My "dream" is a WinZip-type application that can take a .bin file and spit out a .def file, but from my understanding, that would be a monumental task, and the developers that are more skilled than I am don't appear to think that such a tool is worth their time to create. I disagree, and believe that it would benefit the community greatly, but I can see where it would be a maintenance NIGHTMARE.

And I unfortunately am not a skilled enough programmer to figure it out for myself. Believe me, I started looking into the relevant sections of code and went cross-eyed. So many structures within structures and references to references... 😢

On 9/22/2020 at 10:00 AM, Black Orchid II said:

That's what I was afraid of, anything involving compression is beyond me, too.

Beyond me too my friend. Once you start talking about bits and bytes and streams and such, that's WAY past my level of programming ability, sadly.