The Low Budget Introduction to Fire Farming.

FourSpeed

9 hours ago, Vespers said:

Thanks for this guide.  I followed it as much as possible with my claws/fire brute and it got me to level 50 and slowly decking myself out in purple stuff pretty quickly.  0 investment from other characters although I got a bit of a handout from a good Samaritan at one point.  My current computer is just too old to support dual boxing but I'm getting my new laptop in the next 2 days so ill start powerleveling some alts soon. 

Super. I'm glad you found the guide helpful.  🙂 

Cheers,

Very cool guide!  I built a Spines/Fire brute to make influence to fuel my altitis and have just been going by "what seems right".  It's nice to see hard data like this. I'll be making some alterations (he's 32 at the moment) and should see a nice increase in what he's capable of.  Again, thanks!

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

On 6/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, Skyhawke said:

Very cool guide!  I built a Spines/Fire brute to make influence to fuel my altitis and have just been going by "what seems right".  It's nice to see hard data like this. I'll be making some alterations (he's 32 at the moment) and should see a nice increase in what he's capable of.  Again, thanks!

Thanks - glad you found it helpful.

If your "alterations" prove effective, it would be great to see the build posted here for other folks to see as well.  As mentioned in the earlier conversation with Robopop, I find it interesting to see how other folks approach some of the various trade-offs involved (and there were plenty with the LBFF build).

Of course, if those changes are primarily involved with adding Purple, ATO, and Procs enhancements, then, sure, we know that will help effectiveness, but it would also put the build more in line with Warlawk's uber farm thread as those items go well beyond the intended purpose of  "LB"ff.  😉  That's still interesting mind you, and a great next step for a personal LBFF build once they can afford it, but I'd be much more interested in power picks or slotting changes that stay within the low budget focus of this guide while still improving the overall performance of the build.

In any case, thanks for the shoutout, and best wishes on your LBFF going forward! 

Cheers,

Edited by FourSpeed

One question though: I tried running the tip missions and didn't get any reward merits for them.  Did that get changed at some point?

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

2 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

One question though: I tried running the tip missions and didn't get any reward merits for them.  Did that get changed at some point?

Not as far as I know.  Keep in mind that you only get merits for running the Morality Mission.  The Alignment missions just give you normal xp, and alignment "credit" -- ie. after 10 "credits", you'll get a morality mission. When you run that one, you'll get 40 merits, it will affirm your alignment, reset the alignment "credits" and the process starts over again.

You can find more info --> here      (PS> Bear in mind that info was for "Live" and is a bit outdated now, but the basics are correct)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Edited by FourSpeed

• 2 weeks later
  • 6 months later

Firstly, thank you FourSpeed for an excellent guide.  I really appreciate the way you start as far back as going through the tutorial, guiding along every step of the way, and also being able to completely bootstrap from zero inf.  The build also works quite well, though I was able to evolve it a bit, such that it works quite a bit better early on.  Big picture, at lvl 22, I am able to farm +1/8 quite quickly, without much risk, and using only lvl 25 IOs, just as your level 25 version uses.  I basically was following your guide, and got impatient, and figured that since a lvl 22 can slot lvl 25 IOs, I'd give it a shot starting to run early.  From there, I modified the macros such that I actually use accuracy and defense inspirations, and combine only health, end, and res inspirations (into reds).  With constant stacks of accuracy and defense insps, it's easy to farm +1/8, and very fast as well since the larger number of enemies results in more red insp drops.  I also made a few tweaks such as dropping a travel power (with sprint + ninja run, and jump enhs in hurdle + sprint, my jump speed is more than unslotted fly, which I figure is "good enough".  Plus, as an ae farmer, you really don't need to travel much anyways).  I removed all accuracy enhancers because with big stacks of accuracy inspirations, they aren't needed, and you can just do moar damage.  Also, by eating endurance inspirations as needed, end reduction IOs aren't needed either, and pretty much damage + recharge on spine burst gives great DPS.

Here is the build I use at lvl 22.  I ended up rolling a 2nd farmer just to double check that it can farm +1/8 at lvl 22, as my original farmer lvled up very quickly and did not stay in the 20s for more than a few runs.

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;851;399;798;HEX;|
|78DA9D92ED4AC26014C79FE9CC9C9A3A33FC50A1111154BB85D06C112808F57DAC7|
|97203DB649B901FBBA1BEF57A03514177D2CB1DACE39EB369FBD803E3F7EC7F5E77|
|CE7AD79DC2EDC9CD2113F24723DDF3B4B63BF1413A07C3B49D91339C323C725BBF9|
|836FA8EAFFB4E43D5DD2B70B3A13CF3D57A300250CEC6960D5E9D4B1DB804DB0345|
|B5C09D6AAD89AB574E6D135CB07D25BA487DC7196118C0A0105EBBA0638E61297A1|
|980EB99D6B818BEABD6D0F4D15A3D1E5B86D2720DDF32B49EEEF958A08EBD34F179|
|DD61748214DB40D445964AF06E6616421FC6F6B9763F93B8260AE42726B8D4FCCB3|
|7AC95E6B53269F259264A11F7380B09BE636C86C70A19D256885B38D82CD9B209DB|
|2322C7FB4CE5A8F772820F883CC5E7B7B92653FC1A262E721B2B6E72ED0951A2799|
|428C707F657E15ABA42DF22135723D21C9E11D570A001AB521D19EBD4A84E8DFC82|
|FF9D75315E290B7330558C17187417ADBBBC505F24336A4218F129C5EB65C201F7F|
|A5ED4684C5F8B1A65FB996B82D0A0351373E5F817085E6AF3FB2F3CDEB647|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Here are the modified macros I use (I added a 5th because there's a length limitation):

/macro_image "Inspiration_Damage_Lvl_4" "BOOM!" "insp_exec_name uncanny_insight$$insp_exec_name phenomenal_luck$$insp_exec_name keen_insight$$ insp_exec_name good_luck"
/macro_image "Inspiration_science_breakthru_Lvl_1" "Combine 1" "inspcombine catch_a_breath enrage$$inspcombine respite enrage$$inspcombine sturdy enrage"
/macro_image "Inspiration_science_breakthru_Lvl_2" "Combine 2" "$$inspcombine take_a_breather focused_rage$$inspcombine dramatic_improvement focused_rage$$inspcombine rugged focused_rage"
/macro_image "Inspiration_science_breakthru_Lvl_3" "Combine 3" "$$inspcombine second_wind righteous_rage$$inspcombine resurgence righteous_rage$$inspcombine robust righteous_rage""
/macro_image "Inspiration_Damage_Lvl_4" "BOOM2" "insp_exec_name insight$$ insp_exec_name enrage$$insp_exec_name Focused_Rage$$insp_exec_name Righteous_Rage"

Also, personally I only set button 1 to use the macros, and all my other hotkeys fire off their powers as normal.  This allows me to better control when I want to eat insps.  When using the strategy I have described, of eating accuracy and defense insps in addition to reds, one has to be mindful of the number of defense inspirations active.  You always want 2 active at any time, and if they are about to fall, fire off another one, and always have some in reserve.  Before starting a run, I buy inspirations from the nearby vendor.  I go with 2 accuracy, 2 defense, and 6 damage.  I go ahead and use them all right at the start, in order to get the party started.

My modified AE_On.txt is as such:

1 "powexec_slot 1$$powexec_tray 2 4$$powexec_tray 3 4$$powexec_tray 1 4$$powexec_tray 5 4"

Attached is a screenshot showing the typical state of the buff bar during a run.  

lvl22_farmer_insp.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later

Really intriguing post, dynafireca. 

I'm glad you found the original guide helpful, and I'm even more pleased that you've added the benefit of your own experiences to help improve the knowledge pool. It's been quite awhile since I've been in CoH (life intrudes at times 🙂), so I've not yet had a chance to look at the detail of your adjustments and build, but improving the low level experience would likely be much appreciated by newer farming initiates, and having more options is rarely a bad idea.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later

I'm new to the game and after levelling up my main to the 40s, I discovered that I needed a faster income stream to fund getting those attuned enhs for my desired build than simply doing high level PUGs or story arcs.

So, thanks to you, I was able to follow your guide to the tee and have my own LBFF that is farming steady income into the mid-20s (28 atm).

To ensure I'm "doing it right", what kind of INF/hour rates should I expect to be seeing in the mid-20s on the #11612 farm?

• 2 months later
On 5/12/2021 at 5:25 PM, mmBoba said:

So, thanks to you, I was able to follow your guide to the tee and have my own LBFF that is farming steady income into the mid-20s (28 atm).

To ensure I'm "doing it right", what kind of INF/hour rates should I expect to be seeing in the mid-20s on the #11612 farm?

Glad you found the guide helpful.

In the original guide, I documented the INF/hr rates somewhat.  However, there have been a number of game changes, and additionally, I haven't run (or needed to) my own LBFF's for more than a year now. Consequently, I'd have no meaningful idea on what current earning rates might be.  At this point, you probably have a better idea on those than I do...  😉😁

Regards,

• 5 weeks later

Are you saying you're not getting AE badges? Or are you not getting AE tickets? If the latter, when you first select a mission, it will ask you if you want standard rewards (recipes, enhancements, salvage) or architect rewards (tickets, capped at a certain amount depending on the map the mission uses). To get tickets, if that's what you're after, of course select architect rewards. Hope this helps.

• 10 months later
1 hour ago, Golden Azrael said:

What are the macros/binds to convert various inspires to damage inspires?

Azrael.

They're listed in the guide itself (under a couple of the "spoiler" tabs).  Additionally, just a few posts up from yours is an alternate set of binds posted by another player who modified mine somewhat to suit his particular approach.

Regards,

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, FourSpeed said:

They're listed in the guide itself (under a couple of the "spoiler" tabs).  Additionally, just a few posts up from yours is an alternate set of binds posted by another player who modified mine somewhat to suit his particular approach.

Regards,

Cheers, FourSpeed.

The macros are top drawer.

A 1st class progressive thread dedicated to the art of farming that walks you through all the stages of building your farmer and the rewards you can muster within each level range.

Amen to That.

Azrael.

PS.  Update.  Capping the fire defence makes the world of difference.  Don't have to depend on the heal.  Can now use Burn patch as an auto power aka more progressive than reactive in combat.  The Macros and aggressive nature of the build can stack Dam' inspires to the cap with Build Up and Fiery Embrace fast recharging.  Just 'melts' the Comic Con' asteroid map.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Hey there!

Since I had found this Thread about making a Fire Farmer on a Budget, a Year ago or so I thought "Man, maybe I should make a Fire Farmer myself to help me gear up my altaholic made alts and get me or my friend somewhere!" Ended up leaving it be as it was too infuriating to level one up, especially alone using the Bads Farms... cause I were already demotivated due to life and struggling to enjoy farming if it meant to be stuck on dull maps on low settings.

With almost a week over, for this year, this all changed. Took up the farmer, using World Content to level up to around 20-25 to have the proper IO's in place, and went into AE trying out different Fire Farms at humble -1x0 and 0x0 to start with. Getting a good idea what Fire Farming would be like, but started meek and slow to jsut farm singular Groups i can handle more for XP than anything. One Farm that I did find being lucrative for sake of XP with decent time expenditure were #10275 (The Best Fire Farms (All Fire Dmg, No Hidden Lethal) - Easy RadSpines/Fire. This was a slog due to the EB's spread throughout, ended up leveling my Farmer quickly through the Farm Missions.

Also blew the Budget instead to fund every Recipe needed, as on the chosen Server demand were high but stocks low. Did not matter to me, Having a Farmer going now, I was motivated to dip deep and just farm when more was required. Looking back in the Week of Farming and being a fresh Farmer, am really proud of the build presented here and my progress as Non-Insping Lazy Farmer (who has T3 Musc, T1 Ion, T2 Degen, T2 Assault) making a good chunk of INF using #2915 at +3x8 still without Solo EB's (being too squishy without chugging purps for more defense am as said quiet lazy) at about 10min a clear (given where the patrols end up at, where groups just idle, and so on). Giving it a big thumbs up, am actually going places now that i have a proper farmer under my belt to get me funded and ready in no time!

Edited by FluffyLyah
  • Like 1

Having a Signature this bad is a Crime worth going Villain for!

• 9 months later

Hi, I'm trying to load the budget build into mids, and it gives me an error.  I can't find any other topics recommending budget builds with links that actually work in mids.  I'm looking for build suggestions for a first farmer build on a limited budget.  

What happened to the economy since this topic was first made, because even the alleged level 40 budget set is gonna run probably 80-100m, I found the prices on the enhancements and recipes to be in excess of 10 fold the amount listed for some of them.  So, you can't do anything with 20m currently.  The kinetic combat enhancements alone will cost 20m.  

Edited by crimson72
more info

18 hours ago, crimson72 said:

Hi, I'm trying to load the budget build into mids, and it gives me an error.  I can't find any other topics recommending budget builds with links that actually work in mids.  I'm looking for build suggestions for a first farmer build on a limited budget.  

Hi. Sorry you're having trouble loading the builds.  These builds were loaded with -->   Version 2.23 of Pine's Hero Designer

I've no idea what "mid's" is current these days (last I recall it was Mid's Reborn, I think), or whether it's backward compatible at all, but if you can find that version out there, they should load just fine

12 hours ago, crimson72 said:

What happened to the economy since this topic was first made, because even the alleged level 40 budget set is gonna run probably 80-100m, I found the prices on the enhancements and recipes to be in excess of 10 fold the amount listed for some of them.  So, you can't do anything with 20m currently.  The kinetic combat enhancements alone will cost 20m.  

Keep in mind, that this guide was written nearly 4 years ago (in 2019)), and a LOT can change in that amount of time. Additionally, I haven't played, or even looked at this stuff in a couple years now, so my initial answer is:  "I don't know"... 

That said, the build concept was designed and intended to be completely self-funding, primarily thru AE tickets and rare salvage sales.  I would expect that if prices for general set IO's are so high, then sales prices for the things you'd  be selling would also have risen substantially.  It may take a bit more time, but I'd be surprised if this build stops being self-fundable entirely.

Regards,

@crimson72 @FourSpeed

I had an older version of Mids, so I'll drop what I can here for preservation.

image.thumb.png.b57fcfdc95812f9eed9a8a1651ed9a35.png

L40 Budget Farmer.mxdL40 Budget Farmer.mbd

image.thumb.png.a8b98617bb35db6941d5f025c7e64ddf.png

L50 Budget Farmer.mxdL50 Budget Farmer.mbd

Edited by Bopper
  • Thumbs Up 6

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

• 8 months later

Just another quick "thank you" from someone else who's never farmed before.  Just a word of caution to other new farmers: with the influx of hundreds (thousands?) of new people since the announcement of the NCsoft license, people are dumping rare salvage on the market after running TFs and farming. Prices are depressed compared to last year. Don't get discouraged! 

Also, don't do like me and ignore the "Turn Solo Bosses ON" in the BBQ farm. I totally overlooked it. Six times. 

+1. Along with the guides to the MF Warshade and GD Peacebringer, this guide was the most important advice to my enjoyment of COH. With this guide I bootstrapped my own account, and when my kids got old enough I funded their accounts AND set up baby farmers of their own for them to enjoy the game. This guide was a gateway, and I'm supremely thankful for it.

Agree that the prices aren't what they used to be, many more people playing, but the principles here are still sound. You don't NEED to be purpled out to farm effectively, and for the amount of farming you want to do it may not be worth the effort. You can level while farming, and equip yourself. Those same depressed prices may help you pick up IOs faster, especially if you can put a bid in several levels in advance and let the market play out while you play the game. With a little luck and some help you can have one of these up and running in no time. 

See you around, space cowboys.

• 3 weeks later

I'll add to the necro. I built a farmer to these specs and at L25, this guy was at 88~% for Fire Resistance, which is far better than my L50, T3 Incarnate spines/fire. His survivability is quite high and I regularly run him at +0/+8 at L26. I could probably level cap him there if i wanted to. The earning potential is still not bad for this build.

I played around with the build in Mids and got the Fire Defense somewhere in the mid-30s, percentage wise, until I noticed the Fire Resistance had dropped down to the low mid 70s. I'll have to investigate where that drop occurred. 

I'm curious as to how well this build would do with just regular L50 IO's.

EDIT: My farmer's FR dropped because I've started to add some L30 IO set pieces to the build. That always comes with a trade-off, even with L50 IOs.

Edited by MissQuality

• 2 weeks later

Inflation check for new farmers:

I priced out the enhancements from the level 40 build using the level 30 sets shown.  Auction House prices recorded at 12:30 am (half past midnight) on the morning of March 17, 2024.

Total = 132.2 million.

Prices were recorded by taking the average value after discarding outliers.

Generic IOs were about 1.6 mil, all told, 

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED FOR THESE VALUES.

If there is interest, I'll post the individual prices.