Personal Issue with AE and the slower slog of normal content.

eldriyth

3 hours ago, eldriyth said:

I am frustrated because every single character that I create and try to get through the normal game solo, ends up going to AE because the experience of normal content can't even come close to matching it. However, if the AE option was not there players would be forced to go through normal content regardless. Having this 2 hour boost to 50 option just ruins the game completely. I think something needs to be done to make old content worth it again. Why even allow this monstrosity to exist? This is coming from a dude with a Alpha + 3 unlocked Spine/Fire brute. I have actually deleted over 2 level 50s I power leveled because I just can't get into them. I feel like I didn't even earn them.

And if AE is dealt with, make normal content more plentiful for a solo player. How about making missions where you have to kill all NPCs reward like 10 elite bosses worth of exp at the end? Something that feels nice as a reward.

Just AE to 50 slot up then go back and run the Tfs as they are level capped, and use ouro to travel back to the lower level content that you want to run. You'll be powered down to the appropriate level and can run the content

There is no right way, no wrong way and no one and only way to play this game.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

Wow, I was flipping through the first page of this thread, figuring I'd almost certainly have to close it, but this second page hasn't completely degenerated into flaming. Keep it up, or else! 🙂

The day is still young and some of us aren't liquored up and pissed off enough yet. Give it time ...

4 hours ago, eldriyth said:

And if AE is dealt with, make normal content more plentiful for a solo player

If you are a solo player, have you considered just running your own server and changing the leveling rate to whatever suits you? The files are out there and even on an 8GB PC, you can run the server AND the game client, and change just one line in a config file so that your characters level at 1.5x/2x/3.5x ... literally, whatever speed you want. I have one at home set to 5x and it's a blast. Though I'll be honest, since Homecoming came up, I've preferred to play online.

I kinda wonder why some of the entities running public servers haven't experimented with servers that have custom leveling rates, just to see if the public has a preference. If it were me, I'd offer a server with 3.5x leveling speed with some conditions: limited to a certain number of players, if you move a character to that server you can't move it back to a regular server, the gain in XP should be offset by loss of something like inf probably, and the economy would be separate from the regular servers. Oh, and it would be called Kiddie League. Then the devs could datamine it to see if it leads to people quitting the game sooner or sticking around longer.

• Like 1

Yep, have to disagree with the whole "speed of normal content is a slog" thing, especially with the x2 exp boosters.  I'm another one of those ones that pretends AE doesn't even exist, I never use it.  I rarely even do DFB and I start new characters all the time.  My normal progression is every 5 levels do the radio missions until I I get to do the bank for the badge and free temp power, then try to at least get the cell phone of every contact in the range (which usually only takes 1 mission from them).   I'll try to squeeze an actual arc in there when I can.  I guess my thing is all about "collecting" contacts (and doing banks).  This is all blue side and solo.

Even just doing only that I usually find myself blowing through those 5 levels and on to the next bank.  I rarely get beyond "colleague" on any contacts.  I'd definitely have to get rid of the exp booster if I wanted to make more of those colleagues into "friends".

I don't see any need to boost exp for normal content at all.  I do like some of the ideas of getting rid of the security chief ones, cutting down on hunt ones, shortening some.  I'd rather see other kinds of rewards added instead of exp if anything (merits, better drops, etc.)

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 5

I have done very little AE levelling on farming maps.  I have nothing against it, but I'd rather level in taskforces.  A character levelled through AE will hit 50 with hardly any reward merits, and will have little basis to construct a more interesting build.  They just feel naked to me. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

You have to turn your Experience Gain off even while running it at -1, x1.  I know; I'm still working on it!  It's the lower levels which really need it.

But to the original topic:  I am mostly sad that I can't find good stories in AE due to all the farms blocking them out.  Can we please have a "Farm" Tag for AE, so we can disable them from showing up on a personal basis?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Yep, have to disagree with the whole "speed of normal content is a slog" thing, especially with the x2 exp boosters.  I'm another one of those ones that pretends AE doesn't even exist, I never use it.  I rarely even do DFB and I start new characters all the time.  My normal progression is every 5 levels do the radio missions until I I get to do the bank for the badge and free temp power, then try to at least get the cell phone of every contact in the range (which usually only takes 1 mission from them).   I'll try to squeeze an actual arc in there when I can.  I guess my thing is all about "collecting" contacts (and doing banks).  This is all blue side and solo.

Even just doing only that I usually find myself blowing through those 5 levels and on to the next bank.  I rarely get beyond "colleague" on any contacts.  I'd definitely have to get rid of the exp booster if I wanted to make more of those colleagues into "friends".

I don't see any need to boost exp for normal content at all.  I do like some of the ideas of getting rid of the security chief ones, cutting down on hunt ones, shortening some.  I'd rather see other kinds of rewards added instead of exp if anything (merits, better drops, etc.)

So your entire thing is focus on the content not the exp? Interesting way to look at it, however, I find myself going back to level up and the power hungry feeling comes back to me.. where I want this, this, this, and this. NOW.  I can't stand that feeling and than you start to look at your exp bar and it creeps along.. making me twitch (like a crack head) and want to get my AE fix. Which in turn ruins the entire character because I broke the promise to myself I wouldn't use it.

4 hours ago, eldriyth said:

I could understand completely if I was some nub cake complaining people were getting power leveled. That would be unfair of me. However, I have actually deleted level 50s I power leveled because I just feel like I didn't earn them.. I know this is a strange ass personal feeling and some people couldn't give two shits less. I just overall think the experience of normal content needs to get boosted up big time. Exp is way too slow for a solo player. Where (I hate to say this because I am sick of WOW) games like WoW give the solo player a fast and smooth exp to max level without gimmicks like AE. Of course, some people just buy their level 110s now too.. *sigh*

One thing to bear in mind is that not all people approach AE the same way. For myself, if I play AE, I play story-based missions. Never farms. I actually level more slowly than in regular content that way. Personally, I am in no rush to level. I just play, whether solo or duo/trio with my wife and/or daughter, and enjoy the game as it unfolds. I'm not a raider or pvper; I just like story content more.

Different players have different playstyles. That is okay. It means more things for a wider variety of player types to do. I'll take my time leveling (many characters); others can find a variety of faster paths to leveling as they choose. It's all good. 🙂

Edited by nightroarer
  • Like 1

Solo, and especially once you get DOs or SOs, can fly by very quickly, even without stepping foot in AE;  You can run whichever missions you want, with as much or as little downtime as you want, and with enemy group size and level tailored to you.  It may not be as easy or as good XP/hr as running tunnel missions endlessly, but it's also a lot less tedious, and you'll likely earn a bunch of merits along the way.  Maybe one solution would be to award more merits for running storyline missions, instead of just upon completing each one...

37 minutes ago, eldriyth said:

So your entire thing is focus on the content not the exp? Interesting way to look at it, however, I find myself going back to level up and the power hungry feeling comes back to me.. where I want this, this, this, and this. NOW.  I can't stand that feeling and than you start to look at your exp bar and it creeps along.. making me twitch (like a crack head) and want to get my AE fix. Which in turn ruins the entire character because I broke the promise to myself I wouldn't use it.

My advice is seek help outside the game on acquiring greater self discipline.

That's the best I have to give.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Solo, and especially once you get DOs or SOs, can fly by very quickly, even without stepping foot in AE;  You can run whichever missions you want, with as much or as little downtime as you want, and with enemy group size and level tailored to you.  It may not be as easy or as good XP/hr as running tunnel missions endlessly, but it's also a lot less tedious, and you'll likely earn a bunch of merits along the way.  Maybe one solution would be to award more merits for running storyline missions, instead of just upon completing each one...

As I recall weren't merits boosted for the content? Old positron task force has a nice payout that I am sure is higher then it used to be.

Perhaps the vip vendor can offer a double merit booster that lasts for an hour buy up to eight hours worth just like the xp boosters but inf is either halved or zero for the duration

Edited by Nericus

I understand I may be biased, but still...

Homecoming offers alternative play-styles for people with different play-styles. That's a major bonus. The fact that you end up powerleveling your character to 50 eventually means you want what many powerlevelers want - a new character with all the bells and whistles to go do content with.

Most of us, if not all of us, powerlevel a character not to have another 50, but to have a new concept character or build to run Taskforces, Trials, raids, etc. And many of those individuals played pre-AE and have done the grind many many times. After grinding the first couple of 50s, we no longer even bothered reading. Just click the contact, click the mission, off I go. If there was a spacebar option like SWTOR, we'd skip the cutscenes too. 

I don't feel the XP in general should be increased. It's already been increased more than once during Live. If you're trying to enjoy content, racing to level up shouldn't be an issue. 

For me personally, in the final years of pre-Sunset, I no longer did normal grinding content. It held no appeal to me. And if it wasn't for AE, I probably would have quit playing and canceled my subscription altogether.

Find what works for you. If the content isn't fast enough for you, I would suggest putting Taskforces together and just run those. Lots of XP that way and can be very enjoyable with a group.

Edited by brigg
  • Like 5

ArcID #125 Bloody Rainbow: Comic Con Fire Farm;  ArcID #2551 Comic Con Fire Farm: Cave Edition

ArcID #133 Comic Con S&L Farm;  ArcID #9911 Comic Con S&L Outdoor Edition

ArcID #2915 $Comic Con Fire Farm$ArcID #11612 $Comic Con Fire Farm Outdoor Map$

ArcID #16607 $Comic Con S&L Caves$ArcID #16610 $Comic Con S&L Outdoor$

7 hours ago, Blastit said:
8 hours ago, Lines said:

I keep eating junk food. The government should shut down McDonalds.

Governments do in fact do things about health crises that affect their population. Shutting down a company because it has more of a negative effect than it has a positive effect is perfectly reasonable for a government to do.

What things people are incentivised to do within a game and the environment this creates is something that game developers do have to consider. It's a sensible concern. I don't have an opinion either way because I don't have whatever demographical, economic and playtime data the HC crew likely have access to.

Yes, I still recall the day all the cigarette manufacturers were shuttered, dismantled and burned to the ground.

Oh... wait...

• Like 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

11 hours ago, eldriyth said:

Im going to endeavor to not come across as rude nor dismissive but frankly a post like this one of yours is making that a real challenge.

Let me make a simple analogue. Would you rather use your hand when your horny or put in the time and effort to woo a lover?

Because a lack of patience, a need for instant gratification, apparently no interest in being master of your feelings and instead being mastered by them. What I would suggest, a solo retreat into the wilderness ideally mountains for at least 2 weeks with zero tech or contact with others. And books on spiritual and martial philosophy. Perhaps start with the Art of War.

Honestly I have a hard time not thinking or one of these anti youth conservative types intent in trying to portray the most common negative aspects of a young person. Because in all my years I dont think Ive ever met one human being that actually seems to think a lack of self control is anything but a major character flaw.

AE babies as most of virtue tended to call the handfuls of meta gamers on the server who tended to just power farm builds to cap for the lolz are never the norm in the coh population. Most of us who loved the game then and now tend to love it first and foremost for the setting and content.

You know if you want a real fast power fantasy gratification game I suggest Warframe.  And thats not some insult Warframe is the game that filled my super power game itch and still give it plenty of time since CoH came back.

No stalker in this game competes with the feel of Ash Prime. No nuker compares to the feel of any of the nuke frames. No tank or brute etc can match the feel of Gara or valkyr etc. If your first and foremost after a power fantasy than that game does it way better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, eldriyth said:

It sounds like you may have an addictive personality/addictive tendencies.  I do not like to judge people I don't know, but I think that some self relection outside of the context of this game may be wise.  That kind of feeling of needing a dopamine rush just from seeing a progress bar scroll across a screen isn't what most people would consider normal.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

There are already ways to do this with the XP buffs from the PTW Vendor. I know both of our opinions are already in other threads about this but I'll throw out mine again. I'm not in favor of increasing XP rewards without a way to opt out of how fast I blow through content. (I know I can disable XP entirely but that's a nuclear approach to slowing myself down when all I'm looking for is a gentle tap of the brakes to go a bit slower.)  I'm also not in favor of nerfing XP rewards for everyone, AE or otherwise. I understand that the way I play is in a minority so I'm not going to push for my benefit to a majority of players detriment.

I should clarify, when I say I'm all for it if that is what a bunch of people want. Personally I think it's unnecessary since XP is so easy to come by in various ways. I like the balance we have now. I can PL to 50 in a few hours if I want, solo at the old rate, or solo quickly with double XP. In my opinion the only option that I think would really benefit the game is a slider option to vary xp to any percentage between zero and two hundred.

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Im going to endeavor to not come across as rude nor dismissive but frankly a post like this one of yours is making that a real challenge.

Let me make a simple analogue. Would you rather use your hand when your horny or put in the time and effort to woo a lover?

Because a lack of patience, a need for instant gratification, apparently no interest in being master of your feelings and instead being mastered by them. What I would suggest, a solo retreat into the wilderness ideally mountains for at least 2 weeks with zero tech or contact with others. And books on spiritual and martial philosophy. Perhaps start with the Art of War.

Honestly I have a hard time not thinking or one of these anti youth conservative types intent in trying to portray the most common negative aspects of a young person. Because in all my years I dont think Ive ever met one human being that actually seems to think a lack of self control is anything but a major character flaw.

AE babies as most of virtue tended to call the handfuls of meta gamers on the server who tended to just power farm builds to cap for the lolz are never the norm in the coh population. Most of us who loved the game then and now tend to love it first and foremost for the setting and content.

You know if you want a real fast power fantasy gratification game I suggest Warframe.  And thats not some insult Warframe is the game that filled my super power game itch and still give it plenty of time since CoH came back.

No stalker in this game competes with the feel of Ash Prime. No nuker compares to the feel of any of the nuke frames. No tank or brute etc can match the feel of Gara or valkyr etc. If your first and foremost after a power fantasy than that game does it way better.

It's a bit ironic that I use AE to PL because I love the game and DON'T have time to play it straight.  Why?  Because I "wooed a lover" and wound up with kids to raise.

BTW, after I put my kids to bed last night, I rolled an Ill/Dark controller at 8:45PM.  He had PA by 9:00PM and Phantasm by 9:45.  I'll get it to 41 tonight, 48 tomorrow night, and VL3 Friday night. 

Don't presume I have some kind of character flaw because I make plans and execute them efficiently.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

2 minutes ago, roleki said:

It's a bit ironic that I use AE to PL because I love the game and DON'T have time to play it straight.  Why?  Because I "wooed a lover" and wound up with kids to raise.

BTW, after I put my kids to bed last night, I rolled an Ill/Dark controller at 8:45PM.  He had PA by 9:00PM and Phantasm by 9:45.  I'll get it to 41 tonight, 48 tomorrow night, and VL3 Friday night. 

Don't presume I have some kind of character flaw because I make plans and execute them efficiently.

Uhm pardon? What are you babbling on about? I have not said a thing to you nor assume anything about you other then you seem to be defensive and aggressive about a post directed at someone else which specifically cited his own behavior that no one I know wouldnt call a meaningful character flaw.

Since you are the one to instigate this with a clearly combative attitude against me Ill be blunt as a baseball bat to the head. PLving is not some sign of tactical thought nor great planning. Its nothing to brag about nor take some sense of pride in. If you enjoy it fine all well and good. Im not trying to take it away from you, hell Ive recently asked quite seriously for us to just be given an auto 50 option at the P2W.  I have zero issue with just giving PLers what they really want if in turn they will leave AE to RP content creators.

To avoid any future conflicts with you I shall be putting you on ignore and frankly hope you do the same to me. I dont think we would be well suited to future interactions.

• Like 1

Since people are obviously fond of rewards with no effort whatsoever (which AE farms are getting pretty close to, but whatever) just make the commands for free stuff from the test box work on the play server. That's close enough to what's asked for. 

You know, a big shiny 'I Win' button. 

For me, I'm grateful that the Homecoming Team has done what they've done so far.  I've missed the game so much (but yes it does get repetitive and boring at times) however, I would rather do the boring repetitive content then have the servers shut down again.

I have 2 Farmers and I utilize AE to PL new toons to a respectable level where I can jump on TF's an play with teams.  Grinding from 1-30 (like back in the old days) does not appeal to me.  I do Brigg's farm through and I have  new toon at 30.  At that point if I don't like how the combo plays, I can delete and start over.

Ultimately IMO having the option to play any or all of the content is a blessing as its been a long 7 years to be able to play the game again.

Thanks Homecoming Team for all you're doing and I hope (and pray) you get the green light to take this retail and start to be able to offer new content.

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

My counter to your analogue is There's Something About Mary. Have it all.

3 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

My counter to your analogue is There's Something About Mary. Have it all.

Sadly whatever the point you wanted to make is lost on me I never much cared for ben stiller or cameron diaz. so never bothered to watch that one.

My main point in the above post was play the game for what it is, and if what you want isnt in that there are always other games out there. While I love CoH and am dearly glad its back in our world to enjoy even at the extreme end of the spectrum of power builds in this game when you can solo GMs as an offender etc, it doesnt have the same power fantasy fuel as a game like Warframe where your basically an army of one. One of the little aspects of it I really appreciate is dividing powers and weapons into different things. One of the things that has and will always annoy me is weapons as power sets rather then tools as was done in coh and champions online.

12 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Yes, I still recall the day all the cigarette manufacturers were shuttered, dismantled and burned to the ground.

Oh... wait...

The ban on smoking in public places where I live was recently increased to outside store entrances and such. The one responsible for upholding the ban and the one who eats the fine is the store itself.

Additonally, just because I said it was reasonable for a government to be able to do a thing it doesn't mean that I said that the exact thing has happened in full.