Personal Issue with AE and the slower slog of normal content.

eldriyth

32 minutes ago, ILIWAPCT said:

In the beginning...

My alts have to walk around like normal mortals through the streets and around buildings.

As they progress they get  their travel power...

But like I said this game isn't for everyone and that's fine.

But this game can be for everyone. Noone, or I am not saying I want to play ont he cake server and just being given it all. I am saying that I see nothing wrong with multiple paths to accomplish your goal of hitting 50 and finishing to build out a character. And if that means some AE time and some mission time, or all missions or all AE that is fine either way. The OPer is asking for the AE to be taken out of the game essentially because he feels it cheapens the characters he PLs in it. Well I don't feel that way, so why cant I still keep that as an option ? 

I logged into this game on the 3rd day it was live. I did the slog through earning travel powers at 14 and stamina at 20 etc etc. I have done it probably a hundred times now. Just because I choose not to do that again and take another path doesn't mean that you get to say this game is not "for me" because you disagree with the path I take. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XaoGarrent said:

Everything prior to 22 is a complete slog for most sets, even with inherent fitness, and most builds don't really feel like they're coming together in a fully coherent functional manner until at least the late 20s or early 30s.

There's a meme that regularly does the rounds that goes along the lines of "the real game starts at 50" and there's a good reason for that. The game regularly gives me the impression that what it really wants me to do regarding existing content is to burn my way all the way to cap and then SK down or use Oro for story content. It's way, way more fun to do it that way than the "proper" or "normal" way.

Champions Online actually managed to mostly fix this problem, it's just a shame about... Almost everything else. I really long for the day someone releases a superhero MMO with the kind of story and style City of Heroes has, the character creation depth of Champions Online, and a new initiative: Be less MMO and more Superhero.

That's an opinion, not a fact. I enjoy the pre-20 levels as well as higher levels. For me, if "the real game starts at 50," it's not a game worth playing. That is, if 50 levels of journey is not enjoyable, why bother to play the game at all? I do not raid or PvP; I find both repetitive and boring. I want a story-filled journey.

As to Champions Online, my family played it after CoH shut down. As recently as a month before we found out about Homecoming, while we were finishing up a mission in CO, my daughter commented wistfully "I miss City of Heroes." CO has some definite pluses, but for overall fun factor--from level one forward--CoH wins hands down for us.

Opinions may, and do, vary. And that's okay.🙂

• Like 4

On 10/15/2019 at 12:02 PM, mcdoogss said:

Also, to the OPs point if AE didn't exist people would farm portal missions like the old days.  Removing AE or AE farm maps will never remove farming.

Do AE farm missions and Portal Missions have the same risk / reward ratio? Honestly curious if anyone here knows?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 minute ago, Troo said:

Do AE farm missions and Portal Missions have the same risk / reward ratio? Honestly curious if anyone here knows?

Yes they do. I have a mission on my spines/fire farmer right now that is essentially a level 50 mission that spawns nothing but fire demons. It was used for farming all the time back in the day for leveling up toons. I could still use it right now, however it is easier to park my farmer in Atlas for when I make a new toon then to take my new toon to PI, but I could do it pretty easy through my SG base so it is not really impossible. Having a close by vendor is nice also in AE. But as far as the missions themselves go, there is a villain group that falls like butter to any build that can be made, you just have to find it, and then find a mission that allows for it to be used. Freaks, warriors, demons, honestly if people went back to farming real missions it would be even faster cause a double xp temp power would earn you true double xp instead of just standard full xp. 

I also use the AE cause I can set my mission on one that exempts my farmer to earn more influence, So again nothing to do with leveling the lowbie but makes it nice to earn the money I need for that character later. There were people farming in this game since the first level 50s. Nothing has ever stopped it and whiny posts complaining about people doing things that YOU CAN SKIP if you choose to as yoru avoidance gets tiresome. Dudes act like they log into game and suddenly their computer is taken over by evil famers that FORCE them to join their AE farms. It is a choice, either join or don't, but those that choose to join are not your business to change the game so they are forced to play like you.

47 minutes ago, nightroarer said:

That's an opinion, not a fact. I enjoy the pre-20 levels as well as higher levels. For me, if "the real game starts at 50," it's not a game worth playing. That is, if 50 levels of journey is not enjoyable, why bother to play the game at all? I do not raid or PvP; I find both repetitive and boring. I want a story-filled journey.

As to Champions Online, my family played it after CoH shut down. As recently as a month before we found out about Homecoming, while we were finishing up a mission in CO, my daughter commented wistfully "I miss City of Heroes." CO has some definite pluses, but for overall fun factor--from level one forward--CoH wins hands down for us.

Opinions may, and do, vary. And that's okay.🙂

Your first statement could be very easily backed through a factual argument. You are, maybe not 100% factually correct, but incredibly close. That statement actually has a very high degree of truth to it. A slight adjustment away from an absolute, and some reasoning based off easily observed and understood human behavior, as well as a decent grasp on the scope of possible human experience, and you could easily have an airtight argument for why the game could benefit from some changes. I'd say this is already close enough, really. People who aren't arguing in bad faith should be able to "get the point" and see the inherent truth implicit in what you've said. 

Of course, you'd then have to make airtight arguments for those changes, and you'd likely have to put them to test against competing ideas on how to solve the same problem, but y'know, one step at a time.

Instead, you decide to drop the ball completely, intentionally, and you end your post with a statement that literally renders having an argument at all pointless for all involved parties, as it frankly places the entire discussion of *anything* in an unfalsifiable state.

You could have stated something of value... Instead, you did this.

Edited by XaoGarrent
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, QuiJon said:

We ask for more eng game content because in order to maximize a character you are essentially repeating the same 5-6 things over and over again. So UNLIKE being able to play up to level 50 if you choose to and having hundreds of contacts and storyline to progress your character to 50 you have really next to nothing in comparison for finishing slotting out IOs and incarnate powers and doing that can honestly take longer then reaching 50 even by normal game play. 

In HC you earn Incarnate XP and threads in all content (I think you need to be doing a minimum of +0/x1). So this is untrue, you earn threads/XP doing Posi 1 or through Orobous arcs and everything else. A level 50 has more content than any other level because you get to choose anything the other levels have plus stuff you can only do at 50.

Just saying. Because I want more end game content too, though I think I'd prefer a Quality Control pass through all pre-i20 content to bring it up to today's standards.

Edited by Lost Ninja
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, Lost Ninja said:

I dearly hope they never add an instant 50 to P2W (or anywhere else) without some kind of hard to get method for unlocking. (Like one of each AT at 50 with no AE badges on any.)

Because: A)I'd totally use it and just like using cheats in offline games it would spoil some of the fun (online I don't cheat or feel the need to, offline I cannot seem to help myself... especially memory editors and speed hacks), and B)An awful lot of the people who don't AE would just grab a "legit" fast 50 and already somewhat empty zones would be even emptier. Yes many would stick levelling out and play the game the way it was designed to be played but adding Instant 50s would make the issues that AE farms already cause even worse.

While AE may be a contributing factor to the empty zones, I think this issue is the result of a lot of changes. I think that radio missions and the newer sidekick system had a much larger impact on zone use than AE does, as does the ease of travelling around the city now.

Rather than eliminating the dense concentrations of the players in the game, the fix here is to make those zones attractive somehow. I'd love hazard zones to be given a overhaul.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, ShardWarrior said:

This would assume that the older content isn't rewarding or interesting.  That's entirely subjective to the player.

Some content could use a bit of fine tuning to make it more bearable to go through it.

Case in point: Synapse Task Force with those Defeat All missions, where you have to even finish off those smaller gears that pop out of the Princes.

Just annoying and needlessly time-consuming.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, eldriyth said:

I could understand completely if I was some nub cake complaining people were getting power leveled. That would be unfair of me. However, I have actually deleted level 50s I power leveled because I just feel like I didn't earn them.. I know this is a strange ass personal feeling and some people couldn't give two shits less. I just overall think the experience of normal content needs to get boosted up big time. Exp is way too slow for a solo player. Where (I hate to say this because I am sick of WOW) games like WoW give the solo player a fast and smooth exp to max level without gimmicks like AE. Of course, some people just buy their level 110s now too.. *sigh*

I think I understand this. 

I'm what you might call "goal-driven".  I look for ways to challenge a given character to keep things interesting for me. I seldom use p2w 2xp because 1) it's at the cost of influence & 2) it removes opportunity to discover how well certain powers are slotted and working within the attack chain. 

This "smoother" experience you're speaking of, it's in the game already. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by smooth? Your xp per kill goes up as you level up. But, because we have more powers, it stands to reason that the next level requires more xp  - there's more to learn! 

As for deleting 50's...I've never done that. I just let 'em sit. And I guess I certainly could respec 'em, get out the IOs and then delete them and start over - but each character of mine gets the 4 primary health/end boosting accolades. I don't really want to delete a character that's had that time invested. 

I think your problem is that you're simply bored with certain characters. And that's fine. You look to AE to get you over certain hurdles because it's effective. Heck, why do you think so many use AE? Because it works! 

Perhaps you need to consider not looking for levels. Look for badges. This will cause you to seek out content and to stop looking at the XP bar. XP will come! You don't need to seek it out. Now with Vet levels, it never stops unless you stop it. 

• Like 1

I haven't farmed in AE or anywhere else so far on Homecoming because I know from experience in retail CoX that it's very likely I won't ever get into characters I just power leveled to 50 and leveling up with the DXP is plenty fast (15-20 hours to 50). Besides, if I'm going to play a character to 50, I'm going to get all the passive accolades so getting them done while leveling ends up being roughly as efficient as PLing to 50 and then getting the accolades. Also, with most builds I can usually tell pretty early on if it's something I actually like playing, and it doesn't feel as bad to abandon a mid 20s character as it does abandoning a 50.

However, if somebody else wants to farm, then it's good to have that option for them. For example, I could see myself PLing characters to 50 if I was interested in PvP and I wanted to roll something new purely for PvP.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

15 hours ago, ILIWAPCT said:

No one has said it but if you don't like "normal content" then you don't like the game.

That's fine, it's a old game and not for everyone.

It was the same way back on Live.

People want to press a button and have a level 50 pop out.

Then a few weeks later  complain about wanting more end game content.

Now I understand why people are asking for more end game content. 

You're skipping the whole game!

You really dont pay attention to who is doing the posting for what if you think that. Im pretty well established as a hard core role player first and foremost here. I love playing through TFs and certain story arcs time and time again. However there is also a fair bit of content story arcs included that due to some poor design choices is far more of a PITA then it is worth to hassle with to experience the story.

I can just by playing the game on HC max a character ina  couple days no farming or PLVing required. decking out the build takes more time but I approach that by the fact my main who regularly runs certain content related to his lore based origin makes that content always fun to play through. Always easy merits to earn fast while playing in a fun and frenetic style.

I suggest an instant fifty option purely to try to remove PLVers from the AE and thus experience farms from the AE. I suggest dynamic merit rewards based on time in content as a way to remove content locusts who speed run everything to death. Farmers as Ive said actually do contribute to the over all community so they shouldnt be seen as something to reign in.

That to me is the subtle layers that people are not seeing. We have 3 factions and 1 of them is fine but being lumped in with the two problem children.

XP farms hurt the community, speed running content constantly hurts the community. loot farming to sell on the AH helps the community. I want AE first and foremost for Content creators seeking to expand the game world. Who wish to create interesting stories to share with the community just as was the sole intent of it by the devs in the first place. removing the xp farms and by making rewards directly based on how much time one is inside content will break the knees on content locusts.

If all content rewarded merits based directly on time inside the content lets say 1 merit every 2 minutes, then everyone could play whatever content they want and be rewarded at a rate that even a casual player should have plenty to deck out a character once it hits fifty by playing content.

And yes the hidden tax or price of an auto 50 option would be youd have to still be able to afford to set it out from your alts. I think we can all agree and brand new player or recent returnee with no established characters yet doesnt need to be auto 50ing and if they did should rightfully find themselves feeling nearly helpless lacking the funds to twink the character.

15 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

And yes the hidden tax or price of an auto 50 option would be youd have to still be able to afford to set it out from your alts. I think we can all agree and brand new player or recent returnee with no established characters yet doesnt need to be auto 50ing and if they did should rightfully find themselves feeling nearly helpless lacking the funds to twink the character.

Absolutely this!

I don't want to tell anyone how to play.  However, I played the original game from start, to finish.  When I came back, I found that I had a LOT to re-learn, and that took actually playing again, as opposed to skipping to the end.  One definitely does his/her self a favor by leveling their first couple of characters up the old fashioned way, just to get reacquainted with the game.  Then, they will be making informed decisions about how they prefer to play any that follow.

It's totally up to the individual to decide how best to approach it.  But, new or newly returning players do themselves, and everyone they play with in the later levels, a service by getting to know the game, their character, and their powers before jumping into the post-50 world.

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

9 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Freaks, warriors, demons, honestly if people went back to farming real missions it would be even faster cause a double xp temp power would earn you true double xp instead of just standard full xp. 

Eh...not really.  My first 50 on HC was a Fire/Kin ‘troller, mainly because I knew it would be an effective farmer just using SO’s.  Obviously MUCH better with IO’s and Incarnates but I didn’t know (at the time this game relaunched) what kinds of market conditions I’d be facing and thus didn’t want to build a farmer that was going to cost me a billion influence just to use for farming.   Had to self-PL soloing many missions of normal content before I got high enough to run PI portal missions.

While I was able to then use the Warrior Earth and outdoor Council maps as my primary non-AE arcs, the spawns are still spread out across a fairly large map relative to things like the Asteroid Comic Con map.  And since the spawns in portal missions are primarily stationary, you have to travel between each and take them out mostly independent of each other, as opposed to the “stand in one place and pull a dozen spawns to your burn patch” model of AE farms.

I guess my point is that even with the double XP fully in place, I can still PL a toon from 1-50 FAR faster using a AE map than I can with standard portal maps....and that’s at half the XP rate of AE farms vs. portal missions.  It’s just a far more efficient XP or influence gain per minute model than anything I can do farming regular content.

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

You really dont pay attention to who is doing the posting for what if you think that. Im pretty well established as a hard core role player first and foremost here. I love playing through TFs and certain story arcs time and time again. However there is also a fair bit of content story arcs included that due to some poor design choices is far more of a PITA then it is worth to hassle with to experience the story.

I can just by playing the game on HC max a character ina  couple days no farming or PLVing required. decking out the build takes more time but I approach that by the fact my main who regularly runs certain content related to his lore based origin makes that content always fun to play through. Always easy merits to earn fast while playing in a fun and frenetic style.

I suggest an instant fifty option purely to try to remove PLVers from the AE and thus experience farms from the AE. I suggest dynamic merit rewards based on time in content as a way to remove content locusts who speed run everything to death. Farmers as Ive said actually do contribute to the over all community so they shouldnt be seen as something to reign in.

That to me is the subtle layers that people are not seeing. We have 3 factions and 1 of them is fine but being lumped in with the two problem children.

XP farms hurt the community, speed running content constantly hurts the community. loot farming to sell on the AH helps the community. I want AE first and foremost for Content creators seeking to expand the game world. Who wish to create interesting stories to share with the community just as was the sole intent of it by the devs in the first place. removing the xp farms and by making rewards directly based on how much time one is inside content will break the knees on content locusts.

If all content rewarded merits based directly on time inside the content lets say 1 merit every 2 minutes, then everyone could play whatever content they want and be rewarded at a rate that even a casual player should have plenty to deck out a character once it hits fifty by playing content.

Way to handwave a good 1/3 of the community so you don't have to use a search filter.

ETA: the devs created the search filter, so it should be something you use repeatedly, or else you are not using the AE the way the devs intended and should leave.

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

I don't agree that xp farmers and speed runners are a problem or they're actively hurting the community. 

Your suggestions are also terrible.

People can already use AE to consume story content created by the community. Removing xp farms from AE won't get the farmers to start consuming that content. 

Tying reward merits to completion time only rewards bad players while it penalizes good players. A bad team that barely manages to complete an ITF in 2 hours shouldn't be rewarded 60 merits, while another team who does it in 10 minutes only gets 5.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Corruption said:

I don't agree that xp farmers and speed runners are a problem or they're actively hurting the community. 

Your suggestions are also terrible.

People can already use AE to consume story content created by the community. Removing xp farms from AE won't get the farmers to start consuming that content. 

Tying reward merits to completion time only rewards bad players while it penalizes good players. A bad team that barely manages to complete an ITF in 2 hours shouldn't be rewarded 60 merits, while another team who does it in 10 minutes only gets 5.

I think tying reward merits to completion time is a great idea!  48 hour ITFs for 1,440 reward merits, baby!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

In HC you earn Incarnate XP and threads in all content (I think you need to be doing a minimum of +0/x1). So this is untrue, you earn threads/XP doing Posi 1 or through Orobous arcs and everything else. A level 50 has more content than any other level because you get to choose anything the other levels have plus stuff you can only do at 50.

Just saying. Because I want more end game content too, though I think I'd prefer a Quality Control pass through all pre-i20 content to bring it up to today's standards.

What I am saying is that they popped a end game character development system on to the post level 50 game, but didn't provide the level of content that would be needed to play without great repeating, to get through that development. So yes I can go back and exemplar and earn incarnate rewards just as any level 50  can. Which only serves to nullify the OP post even further. Because he can to. Just as anyone that PLs a character to level 50 can go back and exemplar into any team they want to, and play any content they want to. Which means his whole bullshit about not feeling connection to the character is just that BS. Because he can still at level 50 go back and do all that content that he claims he cheated himself by missing. I don't feel connected to the character when I come out of AE at level 25 or 26 either. But I slot it up and start to play it. If I like it then I keep going if I don't then I rethink the character. But either way you can not expect to have a connection or love a character you have to time in on. Be that PLed in the AE to 50 or at 1 level in atlas park fighting hellions. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crysis said:

Eh...not really.  My first 50 on HC was a Fire/Kin ‘troller, mainly because I knew it would be an effective farmer just using SO’s.  Obviously MUCH better with IO’s and Incarnates but I didn’t know (at the time this game relaunched) what kinds of market conditions I’d be facing and thus didn’t want to build a farmer that was going to cost me a billion influence just to use for farming.   Had to self-PL soloing many missions of normal content before I got high enough to run PI portal missions.

While I was able to then use the Warrior Earth and outdoor Council maps as my primary non-AE arcs, the spawns are still spread out across a fairly large map relative to things like the Asteroid Comic Con map.  And since the spawns in portal missions are primarily stationary, you have to travel between each and take them out mostly independent of each other, as opposed to the “stand in one place and pull a dozen spawns to your burn patch” model of AE farms.

I guess my point is that even with the double XP fully in place, I can still PL a toon from 1-50 FAR faster using a AE map than I can with standard portal maps....and that’s at half the XP rate of AE farms vs. portal missions.  It’s just a far more efficient XP or influence gain per minute model than anything I can do farming regular content.

Though I agree there is a certain speed benefit to farms like the asteroid, I also think this benefit is enhanced by the type of character you are using. For a controller I get that working the herd and such and having thigns agro to you is a benefit. But I normally run the firefarm outdoor map on my spines/fire brute. and if I stay moving and only burn down enough that the balance follows me to the next mobs, I can stay in a pretty much constant state of motion around the outdoor city map and complete it in about the same amount of time that I can do the 5 misisons on the asteroid. And being that it has Elite bosses on it, and exempts me for  further influence earning, I earn more money in that same amount of time. And if I bring a new toon in at level 1 with me, that toon leaves in one pass about level 28 or 29. 

See for me I built a farming toon on a different account. So I farm for money and when I want to start a new toon I pop it in to stand in one of those mission I am doing anyway, then give it some cash and start slotting IOs and then start playing it in the late 20s. But that same method if you have a toon that holds agro like a tank or brute, can be used on any of those old portal maps to lead mobs to the next group to fight if you need to. And in many cases those maps have many more mobs on them to kill. Meaning you don't have to do the in and out with new toons like you do with the AE. I do thnk the AE still has enough benefits like I said of vendors and such right there that it makes it easier to use AE, I am just saying taking xp farming out of the AE wont stop xp farming. It can still be done way to easily in the open game. 

5 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Has it not occurred to you at all that many people who are farming the AE for xp are also earning those same loot and rewards you say are good for the game? I mean sure I do solo farming as well, but many times I have two accounts logged in leveling one character but I am still earning money and loot on the other. Crafting, those drops, converting them, selling them on the market. Things I would probably not do if I was not earning them at the farmers rate like that because frankly I hate working the markets. 

Andi would be kind of careful who you point fingers at as to "hurting" the community. Because frankly there have been many times when my friends and I have picked up teammates or joined TF and ended up with a couple role players that essentially just totally turn us off of wanting to team randomly ever again having to listen to all their BS during the TF. And back in the day I know I had at least 2 friends IRL that stopped playing because they got tired of people that "took it all way to seriously" when they got stuck teaming with role players. So it isn't really a good thing to go around pointing figures as who is good or bad for the community. 

And also the idea of rewards based on time is mind numbingly stupid. You would go from the extreme of trying to do it as fast as possible to maximize reward to doing it as slow as possible to maximize reward. Every god damn door half the team would go afk for 10 minutes to make sure you hit the max you could earn. I don't like speed runs, but I hate wasting time even more. 

15 hours ago, Troo said:

My Two inf: Yes, and no. 

With AE, either you, or someone else can make a mission with npcs that are specifically designed to be more susceptible to your offense, and less able to handle your defense/resistance.  So, it's easier to go +4/8 for a fire farmer in AE than it would be for that same avatar in a Carnie or Banished Pantheon mission, for example. That said, the XP in that fire farm will give less XP than the same difficulty vs a "standard" contact given mission.  

28 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Wow.

All these years and poeple just cannot give up on making other players 'play the game the right way' when the only right way is to have fun.

Ah, the great CoH 'community'.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, you're right.  Folks need to first, and foremost have fun.

For those who have done this process countless times, with multitudes of archetypes, and powersets, you've earned the right to skip over some stuff.  However, I reserve the right to be critical of a team situation caused by a player who knows nothing about his high level character, because they skipped the entire learning process to get there.  There is a minimum level of familiarity to not be "THAT GUY" on a high level team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

No, you're right.  Folks need to first, and foremost have fun.

For those who have done this process countless times, with multitudes of archetypes, and powersets, you've earned the right to skip over some stuff.  However, I reserve the right to be critical of a team situation caused by a player who knows nothing about his high level character, because they skipped the entire learning process to get there.  There is a minimum level of familiarity to not be "THAT GUY" on a high level team.

Even then, there can't be THAT many complete noobs on HC.  If there are, I agree, it's kind of a crime to PL a rookie who is still figuring out basic game mechanics, let alone how to drive without killing everyone.

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1 minute ago, roleki said:

Even then, there can't be THAT many complete noobs on HC.  If there are, I agree, it's kind of a crime to PL a rookie who is still figuring out basic game mechanics, let alone how to drive without killing everyone.

Probably not that many.  So, what I stated wouldn't apply to very many, leaving most with my blessing to do whatever the heck you want! 😎