Personal Issue with AE and the slower slog of normal content.

eldriyth

6 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

You really dont pay attention to who is doing the posting for what if you think that. Im pretty well established as a hard core role player first and foremost here. I love playing through TFs and certain story arcs time and time again. However there is also a fair bit of content story arcs included that due to some poor design choices is far more of a PITA then it is worth to hassle with to experience the story.

I can just by playing the game on HC max a character ina  couple days no farming or PLVing required. decking out the build takes more time but I approach that by the fact my main who regularly runs certain content related to his lore based origin makes that content always fun to play through. Always easy merits to earn fast while playing in a fun and frenetic style.

I suggest an instant fifty option purely to try to remove PLVers from the AE and thus experience farms from the AE. I suggest dynamic merit rewards based on time in content as a way to remove content locusts who speed run everything to death. Farmers as Ive said actually do contribute to the over all community so they shouldnt be seen as something to reign in.

That to me is the subtle layers that people are not seeing. We have 3 factions and 1 of them is fine but being lumped in with the two problem children.

XP farms hurt the community, speed running content constantly hurts the community. loot farming to sell on the AH helps the community. I want AE first and foremost for Content creators seeking to expand the game world. Who wish to create interesting stories to share with the community just as was the sole intent of it by the devs in the first place. removing the xp farms and by making rewards directly based on how much time one is inside content will break the knees on content locusts.

If all content rewarded merits based directly on time inside the content lets say 1 merit every 2 minutes, then everyone could play whatever content they want and be rewarded at a rate that even a casual player should have plenty to deck out a character once it hits fifty by playing content.

And yes the hidden tax or price of an auto 50 option would be youd have to still be able to afford to set it out from your alts. I think we can all agree and brand new player or recent returnee with no established characters yet doesnt need to be auto 50ing and if they did should rightfully find themselves feeling nearly helpless lacking the funds to twink the character.

If the only way to get people to play user created stories in AE is to eliminate the competition, then those user created stories simply aren't good enough. Which is ok, most people are nothing special when it comes to creating content. The problem is a lot of people seem to think they are when in reality their ideas and stories are easily replaced.

Your idea is terrible. 

People really need to stop trying to ruin other people's fun. 

And if by well established you mean that you constantly tell us, then sure. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Probably not that many.  So, what I stated wouldn't apply to very many, leaving most with my blessing to do whatever the heck you want! 😎

I kind of said the same thing earlier and was accused of taking things too seriously.  I honestly don't care UNLESS people make the same mistakes repeatedly after being advised of a more optimum approach.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

17 minutes ago, roleki said:

I kind of said the same thing earlier and was accused of taking things too seriously.  I honestly don't care UNLESS people make the same mistakes repeatedly after being advised of a more optimum approach.  

Yeah, there are situations like this one, where someone's unfamiliarity with the game, their archetype, and their powers due to not learning any of the above on the way to L50, starts to have an impact on my enjoyment of my available play time, or anyone else's; then it's a problem.  But, I can't really think of any other circumstances where it is an issue worthy of much notice, let alone critique.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

Wow.

All these years and poeple just cannot give up on making other players 'play the game the right way' when the only right way is to have fun.

Ah, the great CoH 'community'.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mate, again?

You voice the same opinion as most of the community and then laugh at the community.

It's weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, roleki said:

31 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Yeah, there are situations like this one, where someone's unfamiliarity with the game, their archetype, and their powers due to not learning any of the above on the way to L50, starts to have an impact on my enjoyment of my available play time, or anyone else's; then it's a problem.  But, I can't really think of any other circumstances where it is an issue worthy of much notice, let alone critique.

I get where yall are coming from, and it's a fair concern. But as someone that played exclusively on pugs on Freedom, I never noticed this actually being a problem of any significance. Now obviously my experience isn't universal and that certainly doesn't mean it never happened. I just think this problem has always been talked about more than actually happened, it kinda took a life of its own.

24 minutes ago, Lines said:

Mate, again?

You voice the same opinion as most of the community and then laugh at the community.

It's weird.

In all fairness, he's right.

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have noticed, is when folks are actually playing, as opposed to taking about playing in the forum, or on Discord, it's a totally different scene.  When on a team, even when things are not going well, very seldom will you see accusations leveled at someone specifically, or that their shortcomings are due to a specific thing that was a topic of discussion outside the game.  When playing, by and large, what prevails is the joy of playing.  It's really only here where we break things down to the theoretical levels which are topics for discussion.  But, what would we have to talk about if we didn't. 😉

• Like 5

On 10/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rodumas said:

I don't think I've ever read a more selfish post.

I call BS. Way to jump on the man for simply asking a question. Your one of those types of people who like to put words in to people's mouths, then you jump all over that instead of actually talking about the subject matter. I have sen it many times on these boards and it is the very reason I rarely post anymore. Too many people like this.

However, I do agree with you, I just simply don't agree with your villainizing comment that you followed it up with.

1 hour ago, Lines said:

Mate, again?

It's weird.

And endless efforts of players telling other players they are doing it wrong isn't?

Edited by jubakumbi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

And endless efforts of players telling other players they are doing it wrong isn't?

There's literally like two people in this thread saying anything like this. And the OP isn't even one of them, though their suggestion would have that effect.

edit: and both got instantly shot down.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

Run naked, rampaging through the streets? 😁

back on live I used to team with a toon called Brokeback Gunslinger, who's backstory was a convoluted combination of Malta, Brokeback Mountain, and Male stripping, he basically wore cowboy boots, the briefest briefs he could, the gunslinger mask and cowboy hat,  spent most of his time doing the dance emote where you do the pelvic thrusting,  weirdest time I ever spent in PI!!!

• Haha 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

16 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I call BS. Way to jump on the man for simply asking a question. Your one of those types of people who like to put words in to people's mouths, then you jump all over that instead of actually talking about the subject matter. I have sen it many times on these boards and it is the very reason I rarely post anymore. Too many people like this.

However, I do agree with you, I just simply don't agree with your villainizing comment that you followed it up with.

You can call BS until your balls turn blue and argue about delivery all day and night if you want to. You just won't be doing it with me. And your assumptions about me compared to other people you have "sen" in forums show that you like to quickly shunt people into 'types' before even knowing what is what. Much like a headless chicken running around the coop. And as an added bonus, since you agree with me at the end of the day, you have no counter argument. Ergo, nothing to add to this conversation. Buh Bye now.

I don’t know where I am at, I was searching up cute pictures of Pikachu and fell into a hole which lead me here, can somebody please redirect me back to where I came?

• Haha 3

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

I think a buff to xp, inf, drop rates of normal content & steet hunting and non AE content is absolutely in order. I dont like nerfs. I never would ask for nerfs unless it was. Last resort. So, let the AE farmers farm but put in a huge buff to normal content  & street hunts. 

I love seeing people around in the streets fighting crime. Reward this behaviour.

I love big pickup teams. Reward this behavior.

Farmers do alot for the game. I love them. And they are already rewarded mightily. The best inf/xp per hour. The most drops per hour.....So, reward the others too. Imo.

Edited by Darth_Helmet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Darth_Helmet said:

I think a buff to xp, inf, drop rates of normal content & steet hunting and non AE content is absolutely in order. I dont like nerfs. I never would ask for nerfs unless it was. Last resort. So, let the AE farmers farm but put in a huge buff to normal content  & street hunts. 

I love seeing people around in the streets fighting crime. Reward this behaviour.

I love big pickup teams. Reward this behavior.

Farmers do alot for the game. I love them. And they are already rewarded mightily. The best inf/xp per hour. The most drops per hour.....So, reward the others too. Imo.

Levelling is already way to quick, you need to turn of xp in AP to not outlevel even level 1-5 content, more xp per hour would just make it harder, increasing inf makes the already too much inf in the game problem worse,  I agree with you a reward buff for normal content would be the ideal solution, I don't think XP and Inf are it though, maybe adding an additional reward that is only dropped for normal missions/street sweeping?  the Non-Otaku reward if you will!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 10/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, boggo2300 said:

Levelling is already way to quick, you need to turn of xp in AP to not outlevel even level 1-5 content, more xp per hour would just make it harder, increasing inf makes the already too much inf in the game problem worse,  I agree with you a reward buff for normal content would be the ideal solution, I don't think XP and Inf are it though, maybe adding an additional reward that is only dropped for normal missions/street sweeping?  the Non-Otaku reward if you will!

Merits maybe?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, Lines said:

There's literally like two people in this thread saying anything like this. And the OP isn't even one of them, though their suggestion would have that effect.

edit: and both got instantly shot down.

So?

Even between the post I am making and the one I am quoting, someone called for a fundamental change to the game to 'make' people play differently.

These players that want to alter the game so other players have to play their way are, IMO, the worst the gaming community has to offer. 

It's nothing more than an uncrontrollable urge to control, IMO.

If more people wanted to play a certain way, they would.

The very idea of changing the game in an effort to 'make' players play it a certain way is, IMO, just a bunch people trying to manipulate others.

Play the parts you like, ignore the ones you don't like, as with RL.

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

So?

Even between the post I am making and the one I am quoting, someone called for a fundamental change to the game to 'make' people play differently.

These players that want to alter the game so other players have to play their way are, IMO, the worst the gaming community has to offer. 

It's nothing more than an uncrontrollable urge to control, IMO.

If more people wanted to play a certain way, they would.

There very idea of chaning the game in an effort to 'make' players play it a certain way is, IMO, just a bunch people trying to manipulate others.

Play it the parts you like, ignore the ones you don't like, as with RL.

Do you mean Darth Helmet's post?

Yeah, real scummy behaviour right there, discussing reward balance. Insidious puppetmaster at work, thinking a certain playstyle is under-rewarded.

This stuff's all good to talk about, even if it does go in circles a lot. Everybody is well-meaning in their proposals and deserve to be heard. Some may not realise that they're suggesting something that alienates other players. All these threads move away from AE nerfs really quickly and identify that if there is a problem at all, then there may be other ways to go about resolving it. Some less well-considered than others, some a lot more work than is reasonable, but it's all good to discuss.

So? I think it's ludicrous and misplaced to lump the 'community' into a particular mindset and then laugh at it. That just implies you're not really reading these threads and just wanna feel like your way of playing the game is being attacked. It really isn't, and I'd jump ship myself if the game started to ostracise certain playstyles - even if I didn't share it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Plenty of room in this game for ALL play styles, and preferences. 

I don't entirely get how the overtuned rewards from AE are a play style or a preference. 

Bringing the AE rewards in line with pretty much all of the other content in the game shouldn't be such a controversial opinion.  If there are other farm missions that allow a similar level of reward, they should also be adjusted.  It should absolutely be a viable way to play the game, but it shouldn't necessarily be the optimal way to play the game.

12 minutes ago, swordchucks said:

I don't entirely get how the overtuned rewards from AE are a play style or a preference. 

Bringing the AE rewards in line with pretty much all of the other content in the game shouldn't be such a controversial opinion.  If there are other farm missions that allow a similar level of reward, they should also be adjusted.  It should absolutely be a viable way to play the game, but it shouldn't necessarily be the optimal way to play the game.

It's a choice, like every other aspect of the game.  The idea is not to foist our preferences for what constitutes preferable game play, on anybody.  Whether by disparaging what they do, or by advocating changes to the game, which would make what they do non-functional, or much less effective.  I would prefer to see things that add to the enjoyment, and depth of the game overall, as opposed to efforts devoted to changing things that are working just fine, and aren't hurting anyone.  Especially in this iteration of the game, which is no longer interested in keeping progression slow, so as to maximize profit.  It's no longer a thing, so why do anything along those lines?

Ok lets look at AE and why people use it.

1. Content creators/players looking for fresh adventures( the intended player population for AE)

2. PLvers/XP farmers: mainly a self centered form of farming that does not help the community at large unlike loot drop farmers. Easily removed from AE to reduce trite xp farm maps by simply adding a instant lvl 50 option. And as I said I dont care if its gated behind having 1 fifty already, as I also say the price of auto 50 is needing an alt to be able to fund/supply it. Do people who want to XP famr /PL really not just want this as an option?

3. Loot Farmers. As Ive said I dont have much of an issue with loot farmers aside from the fact more mundane content should be more rewarding. As Ive previously said add random reward merit drops to saved citizens on the street. Streamline reward merits from content based on time in content because we shouldnt really be incentivizing speed/meta gaming over any other type nor rewarding the ATs that can clear content faster more then those ATs that struggle to clear content. The only way to do that is to reward time in content first and foremost. Yes this hurts speed runners aka content locusts who by and large tend to have tons of self inflicted burn out and tend to leave games faster then any other gamer type.

So yes my goal is to see reward merits become something even non TF speed runners aquire in a fair and timely fashion, and see PLVers simply not need to spend time running content they dont even really want to be running for whatever reason. Speed runner types can still speed run for the challenge/bragging rights, just not for the rewards that being over powered for the content your burning through unjustly gives as it conflicts with the risk vs reward and time investment vs reward systems that are generally seen as the most fair in games.

Going back to the godfather of RPGs D&D those who go right for the throat of the quest often miss out on the best rewards and xp which are often in side quests and optional encounters that if skipped by will result in far less reward to the party then the group that manages to find and do everything the adventure has to offer.

I honestly cant see why anyone but speed runner content locusts who favor getting rewarded far too much for far too little would be opposed to this.