I agree that it should just have a longer warning period.  Have it work like this:

Imagine you had a PBAoE buff, akin to Healing Aura, but it granted Flight for X amount of seconds.  Now imagine that it was auto-cast with a cooldown of a few seconds.

Okay, that final effect?  Make it so you get it from a toggle.  That's how it should be.

How about have it a power that pulses and grants a timed fly buff to everyone inside its pulse range. Then just have it pulse once a second and have the buff last like 4 minutes or something. If a teammate stays close their buff is constantly refreshed, but if they leave then they are on a timer till fly runs out. Obviously players should be able to cancel the buff at any time once they are no longer in range. 

It needs a prompt like TP and Mystic Fortune have.  "Do you want to be affected by Group Fly?" yes or no.  If no then you're fine, if yes then you're screwed when you get out of range.  That takes care of the problem and if you team with someone with the power frequently then you can go to Null and change the option just like TP and Mystic Fortune.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

How about have it a power that pulses and grants a timed fly buff to everyone inside its pulse range. Then just have it pulse once a second and have the buff last like 4 minutes or something. If a teammate stays close their buff is constantly refreshed, but if they leave then they are on a timer till fly runs out. Obviously players should be able to cancel the buff at any time once they are no longer in range. 

I was coming here to suggest something pretty similar, although I was thinking it should wear off in pulses, so when fly wears off (weather it's 4 minutes, or 40 seconds like I was originally thinking) you get a pulse of half speed fly for 10 seconds to start making your way to the ground, and one final pulse for 10 seconds of flight at "hover slotted for flight speed" before it finally wears off all the way. Also if it's not a 4 minute pulse, maybe give a warning when you're getting near the edge of the flight field so you can try to re-orient.