Increase Purple Drop rates please

FullEclipse

Maybe I'm missing something... But what's the problem here?  Just go buy what you need in the store?

My last toon, as an experiment, I literally sold every drop I got on the AH and bought only crafted/attuned IO from the AH as I went.  I only used inf that I gained myself, and I didn't play any market games (buying to resell for profit).   Guess what?  I never ran out of inf.  Furthermore, the moment I hit 50 I slotted all my purples and upgraded my AO sets because I had pre-bought the requirements with all the inf I had. 

Oh wait... I see the problem.  You're not getting Reward Merits cause you're farming AE.  Yeah... you're probably broke when you hit 50.  Ironic isn't it?

• Haha 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 10/16/2019 at 11:49 PM, Logansan said:

It doesn't really relate to recipes or purples, but one of my characters seems to be having a strange "issue". Its my main farming toon and for a couple of weeks he not received a single enhancement drop. Not a single one, despite many hours playing. I haven't change any drop settings with the P2W vendors (and I've rechecked) and he has received heaps of purple and other recipes in that time. In the past he did receive enhancements quite often, it just in recent weeks that none appear to be dropping (which isn't really a bad thing, saves me from having to vendor sell them).

If I power-level another character while farming (any level, even 50 +3s for inf), they do to receive the normal amount of enhancements.

I have put it down to just a strange run on the RNG  (but I guess it could also be something that I'm just not aware of yet).

As mentioned, I'm not complaining in any way, I just thought it was relative to this discussion as it may just show how the RNG can result in long runs of bad/good luck.

I have this problem on certain maps. Change the map. All fire farms are basically the same npc, just a different costume. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, FullEclipse said:

I spend all day trying to farm influence and get recipes to sell but end up with No Purple drops at the end of 8 hours of farming +3/8, running Mishes/TFs etc.  What is the drop rate for purps?  Can we increase that rate a bit?

Hate to break it to you - but if anything, the drop rate should be decreased. I got 4 in a span of 7 minutes. I even sent a petition to see if there was some kind of bug, as even though I like purples and want them to drop - the purples, the reward merits, the influence - it all comes so easily, so quickly, that I'm actually in the hive and saying to myself - why am I here? I already have 10k merits across three of my more-often used 50's; I have transcendant merits stashed for my next 50s, I have billions of influence. There really is no motivation aside from badges and to read silly commentary from the players around me. 

So...no! I've gotten 60 purples over the past 3 weeks. I just gave away 4 sets yesterday because I have no use for them. I'd sell them - but I don't need the inf, either. And I know some folks haven't made their billions and don't want to tank the prices for those that rely on them. 

Purples should indeed be very rare. A farmer who farms day and night should only see them once a week or so, in my mind. That said, the reason purples just sit in my base is the bonuses, unless you're chasing recharge...they're next to useless. No defense or resistance buffs in any of them. They should sell for 5M or less. They're just not that good. My ill/rad, Dom - they love 'em. My PB and WS will love 'em too. But the rest of my toons...meh. 

They're super streaky, they've always been super streaky. Seem to be WAI to me. If you feel you need more it's pretty trivial to make an afk farmer these days and just reset their map when needed in between missions on a character you're actually playing, or between shows or chores or work or whatever. And since purples aren't bound to the normal recipe drop rules even an SO'd toon could afk farm them. 

11 hours ago, Ukase said:

Hate to break it to you - but if anything, the drop rate should be decreased. I got 4 in a span of 7 minutes. I even sent a petition to see if there was some kind of bug, as even though I like purples and want them to drop - the purples, the reward merits, the influence - it all comes so easily, so quickly, that I'm actually in the hive and saying to myself - why am I here? I already have 10k merits across three of my more-often used 50's; I have transcendant merits stashed for my next 50s, I have billions of influence. There really is no motivation aside from badges and to read silly commentary from the players around me. 

So...no! I've gotten 60 purples over the past 3 weeks. I just gave away 4 sets yesterday because I have no use for them. I'd sell them - but I don't need the inf, either. And I know some folks haven't made their billions and don't want to tank the prices for those that rely on them. 

Purples should indeed be very rare. A farmer who farms day and night should only see them once a week or so, in my mind. That said, the reason purples just sit in my base is the bonuses, unless you're chasing recharge...they're next to useless. No defense or resistance buffs in any of them. They should sell for 5M or less. They're just not that good. My ill/rad, Dom - they love 'em. My PB and WS will love 'em too. But the rest of my toons...meh. 

So let me get this straight..., you think you should have to farm night and day, for a week, to see ONE? On a casual game where alts are basically the endgame?

What did fun ever do to you to make you hate it so much? Is it just Stockholme syndrome from early 2000's Everquest that made you think you need to grind your fingers to the bone for a rusty shortsword -1? I'm baffled by this Puritan Play Ethic we keep seeing from forum busybodies. "Whelp, put in my 40+ hours a week, time to log into COH for more drudgery in my leisure time! BRING ON THE SLOG!"

Note, I'm not really on favor of upping drop rates, but your claims are pure BS. I've got 4 in the past 2 months, including farming several billion influence 

Edited by Bossk_Hogg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

So let me get this straight..., you think you should have to farm night and day, for a week, to see ONE? On a casual game where alts are basically the endgame?

What did fun ever do to you to make you hate it so much? Is it just Stockholme syndrome from early 2000's Everquest that made you think you need to grind your fingers to the bone for a rusty shortsword -1? I'm baffled by this Puritan Play Ethic we keep seeing from forum busybodies. "Whelp, put in my 40+ hours a week, time to log into COH for more drudgery in my leisure time! BRING ON THE SLOG!"

Note, I'm not really on favor of upping drop rates, but your claims are pure BS. I've got 4 in the past 2 months, including farming several billion influence 

Look, I didn't mean to bug anyone by what I wrote. I was lucky - quite lucky. But I see a purple at least once every two days. But - I have a farm toon that works while I work. So, it stands to reason it would see more. 

The characters I actually level up, they're still quite fortunate with drops. I had a scrapper playing at +3 get one at level 45. The next day, got two more. And that wasn't farming, it was just going through the Sig Story arc out of steel canyon in pursuit of merits. 

The reason I say make them drop less is because they are too abundant. They should be VERY RARE. They aren't. Heck, we have a trial that every first time character can run and get one, guaranteed! 

All that said - one man's drudgery is another man's fun. I don't consider it drudgery; I would consider it a challenge. 
It is quite possible that my characters are just luckier than yours. Evidence certainly suggests so. 

A copy of my petition: 

September 25

Windows: Let me start by saying - I don't know if this is an exploit or a cheat. If it were, I wouldn't have been doing it. But, it seems to me FOUR purple recipe drops (times Central US) 6:48, 6:48, 6:52, 6:53 - that seems it would be worth a look. Context: in an AE map, set to +4/8. (Comicon Cave map) Just running through the map like usual. I had just gobbled about 6 medium tier rages.

The average player uses HUNDREDS of purples, given the alt-friendly nature of COH. One a week is absurdly rare IMO. This isnt a job... or EQ where you grind for a week to get a partial advance to one gear piece on the only character you play. 

Edited by Bossk_Hogg

I've never used loot drops as a way to slot a character, ever. If I get something I need for a build, cool, otherwise I'll use reward merits.

I think the balance we have now is just right. Let's not open ourselves to the Purple Rain, or make the game even more of a ball ache to play by adding more grind in.

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

5 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

I think the balance we have now is just right. Let's not open ourselves to the Purple Rain, or make the game even more of a ball ache to play by adding more grind in.

/agree

The lonely non-farmer playing as "team=1" may not be seeing many purple drops, but I don't think the Purple/PvP drop rate is extra-ordinary. I have a couple of non-farmer (Tank, MM) lvl 50s who will revisit the first Dark Astoria arc at 0x8 (which I suppose is a sort of farming) and will get a Purple/PvP drop approximately every other run. I can take these same toons into a comic-con farm and average 1 Purple/PvP per run. RNGesus has blessed one run with 3, but I've also had runs with 0. This doesn't seem to high OR too low to me.

I default to 'neutral greedy' about my Purple/PvP drops, but many of them are not ones that I'd normally seek out so they find their way to the market to help out other players who want to kit them. ...And as a player that will occasionally seek out Purple/PvPs, I appreciate that others are doing the same.

• Like 1