It is 2019: How would you update the city?

Techwright

20 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

... I didn't even know there were badges for that!

And I'm with you Locksmith, I wanna ride the blimp!

I must apologize, as it seems I gave incorrect information.  Your comment gave me pause, and I doubled-back on my research, eventually realizing that the information I based the comment upon, was from a confused player.  I started a new search, but so far, I've been unable to prove that badges exist for completing all NPC-issued missions in a zone.  There are, however, multiple NPC-issued missions where badges are issued.  The "Twinshot" story arcs, by example, are some of the earlier ones of these.  I think there are 3 badges associated with that.   

That said, I'd love to see the Homecoming team at some point look into actually creating NPC-mission zone-completion badges, maybe even rewarding with a temp power (I'll take endurance reduction for Ninja Run, please).  That may encourage players to go back as teams to zones they've skipped or burned through in favor of faster leveling methods, sacrificing actual story participation in the process.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

I must apologize, as it seems I gave incorrect information.  Your comment gave me pause, and I doubled-back on my research, eventually realizing that the information I based the comment upon, was from a confused player.  I started a new search, but so far, I've been unable to prove that badges exist for completing all NPC-issued missions in a zone.  There are, however, multiple NPC-issued missions where badges are issued.  The "Twinshot" story arcs, by example, are some of the earlier ones of these.  I think there are 3 badges associated with that.   

That said, I'd love to see the Homecoming team at some point look into actually creating NPC-mission zone-completion badges, maybe even rewarding with a temp power (I'll take endurance reduction for Ninja Run, please).  That may encourage players to go back as teams to zones they've skipped or burned through in favor of faster leveling methods, sacrificing actual story participation in the process.

There are badges for all the Atlas arcs, Mercy arcs, RWZ arcs and Praetorian zone arcs. I can’t think of any others.

This would be really neat - maybe not necessarily for a zone, but for arcs that deal with particular villain groups. Or both.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

I would add nothing. Keeping the existing zones as is, should be something we all aspire to, this is not to say that if new zones were to appear that they could not be more up to date.

CoH is the game it is because it is what it is, anything else is not CoH.

I even wish I could go back, as a villain, starting in Darwins Landing.

• Like 2

An Echo of Mercy Island would be nice for new villains to start on, yeah.  Get that good ol' backstory started right!  None-a-this exploded Galaxy City nonsense!  *attempts to shake walker menacingly*

In all seriousness; I think there's room for progress and development, as long as we maintain some Echoes.  Bonus points if we can actually catalogue content by date, so we can have snapshots of the city throughout time to visit via Ouroboros.

• Like 1

So, I was doing a little research, and I found an official AMA answer to the bus question posed earlier in this thread:

Source:  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA (2014)

Q) Simple question… where were all the buses?? Plenty of Bus Stops, but no buses! Silly cosmetic thing really, but were buses ever planned? I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s asked this? (@Wolfybane)

A) Matt Miller (Positron) Sadly no. The Paragon Transit Authority switched over to 100% Monorail system shortly before 2002, but the bus stops still brought in ad revenue, so they kept them around instead of demolishing them

A) Melissa Bianco (War Witch) If someone didn't cap off a monorail correctly, you'd get buses, of a sort. Monorails would hop the tracks and wander down streets with the cars. My question is how, considering how many ambulances were part of the atmospheric SFX no one really noticed there weren't any on the streets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

So, I was doing a little research, and I found an official AMA answer to the bus question posed earlier in this thread:

Source:  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA (2014)

Q) Simple question… where were all the buses?? Plenty of Bus Stops, but no buses! Silly cosmetic thing really, but were buses ever planned? I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s asked this? (@Wolfybane)

A) Matt Miller (Positron) Sadly no. The Paragon Transit Authority switched over to 100% Monorail system shortly before 2002, but the bus stops still brought in ad revenue, so they kept them around instead of demolishing them

A) Melissa Bianco (War Witch) If someone didn't cap off a monorail correctly, you'd get buses, of a sort. Monorails would hop the tracks and wander down streets with the cars. My question is how, considering how many ambulances were part of the atmospheric SFX no one really noticed there weren't any on the streets.

Hah! That was my question! I had to change my Global to Wolfybane after the server list merge as the NA Wolfsbane had that global already.

• Haha 1

I would want interactable (not a word I know) stuff. Especially in the red zones. Have ATMs you can rob. Guards can spawn that will shoot at you when you start attacking them. Not sure what the hero equivalent would be. Maybe glowies of objects you need to track down that spawn in the street. Bad guys will spawn to attack you,

You could have missions that involve finding certain items.

Maybe some of the interactable items would result in a tip dropping, or be a temporary contact that spawns a mission or story arc.

So, you are out street sweeping and see a glowie object, like you might normally see in a mission. When you click on it you find that it is a valuable that belongs to someone and you get the option to accept a mission to return it or go destroy some other items scattered around the zone.

Not sure of specifics but it would be nice to have the streets contain a bit more than random mobs. Things like the zone event in Steel Canyon with the burning building, but smaller scale.

My preference for updating the city would be to forget adding 2019 elements and instead run with updating things more of the general Praetorian super-tech. skip the flat-screens/laptops and go with lighted glass/holographic displays like you see in the Praetorian lab maps.

Basically, let the game's already existing future-tech elements become the norm. So swap out the desks with CRT monitors on them for the tech terminals we see in the lab maps and have NPCs who normally hold clipboards use the MATablet emote instead.

Maybe replace the automobile textures with something that looks a little more hi-tech (leave the meshes alone because who knows what changing the geometry would do, but as is demonstrated by texture replacements added to the data folder, changing the texture named (for example) "car1.tga" to a different "car1.tga" would hopefully not break anything.

10 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

My preference for updating the city would be to forget adding 2019 elements and instead run with updating things more of the general Praetorian super-tech. skip the flat-screens/laptops and go with lighted glass/holographic displays like you see in the Praetorian lab maps.

Basically, let the game's already existing future-tech elements become the norm. So swap out the desks with CRT monitors on them for the tech terminals we see in the lab maps and have NPCs who normally hold clipboards use the MATablet emote instead.

Maybe replace the automobile textures with something that looks a little more hi-tech (leave the meshes alone because who knows what changing the geometry would do, but as is demonstrated by texture replacements added to the data folder, changing the texture named (for example) "car1.tga" to a different "car1.tga" would hopefully not break anything.

Honestly, I don't think the more "mundane" office or citizenry would have all sorts of holo-tech.  Replace the CRT monitors with flatscreens and update the look of the computer towers, but keep it at that.  The cutting-edge labs and such, sure, but not the run-of-the-mill places.  Maybe show some people with a holo device like when we use the police radio, or have them netion it.  Perhaps add a few arcade-like locales, with regular and high-end VR/holographic entertainment, too.

I want my character to be able to enter City of Heroes Gyros, or El Super Mexicano, or Up N Away Burger, order food, and eat.   🙂

More seriously?

Add three zones on the moon. 

• One, a Blueside zone where humanity is trying to further the space program for science and runs into problems and needs supers to help out. 
  • Two, a Redside zone where Arachnos is building a Giant Moonbase Laser.  Because C'MON.  One Million Dollars!!!
  • Three, a PvP zone.  Because you couldn't believably have red and blue on the moon without some kind of hot-spot.  I don't know how many people would USE it, but could throw the PvP'er s a bone. 
Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I want my character to be able to enter City of Heroes Gyros, or El Super Mexicano, or Up N Away Burger, order food, and eat.   🙂

More seriously?

Add three zones on the moon. 

• One, a Blueside zone where humanity is trying to further the space program for science and runs into problems and needs supers to help out. 
  • Two, a Redside zone where Arachnos is building a Giant Moonbase Laser.  Because C'MON.  One Million Dollars!!!
  • Three, a PvP zone.  Because you couldn't believably have red and blue on the moon without some kind of hot-spot.  I don't know how many people would USE it, but could throw the PvP'er s a bone. 

I think we were going to get a moon zone if the game kept going, a sort of forward base to fight the next incoming invasion.

You could always do your own personal moonbase too. Drop a 24x24 with an open roof and the space sky. Then find the whitest boulders you can and place them roughly circularly around the center point with clipping off. There’s your crater. Now build a contained tech-themed structure inside that and you’ve got your own villainous moonbase (I did pretty much the same thing, but Shadow Shard themed for my own base).

There are too many destroyed zones. Faultline, the Hollows, Boomtown, Crey's Folly, Eden, and RWZ come to mind right off the top of my head.

I'd have them fix some of them up. Restore Faultline. Turn Boomtown into a giant city scape, or something. Turn the Hollows into a giant park.

For Rularuu's sake, we're approaching 2 decades. *Some* progress has to have been made.

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

5 hours ago, TyrantMikey said:

There are too many destroyed zones. Faultline, the Hollows, Boomtown, Crey's Folly, Eden, and RWZ come to mind right off the top of my head.

I'd have them fix some of them up. Restore Faultline. Turn Boomtown into a giant city scape, or something. Turn the Hollows into a giant park.

For Rularuu's sake, we're approaching 2 decades. *Some* progress has to have been made.

Boomtown was starting to be worked on just before Sunset. That's why the entrance to the zone has construction, fenced off areas and the start of a repaired monorail.
Faultline had it's update but I dunno if there was talk of moving it further forward.

I remember a bit of talk about a Moonbase Zone, to lead into the "Coming Storm" that was the Battalion, but that's about all I heard.

25 minutes ago, Wufftype said:

Boomtown was starting to be worked on just before Sunset. That's why the entrance to the zone has construction, fenced off areas and the start of a repaired monorail.
Faultline had it's update but I dunno if there was talk of moving it further forward.

I remember a bit of talk about a Moonbase Zone, to lead into the "Coming Storm" that was the Battalion, but that's about all I heard.

I would love to see Boomtown revamped, and more work done on Faultline. I know everyone's gaga about the moon base, but I'd love to see a zone that is like New York City: street after street of skyscrapers. Not like Steel, mind you. I want MASSIVE sky scrapers, and the ceiling raised so we can go incredibly high. Put bridges between a few of them high up off the ground.

And fill it with fixed landmarks. Crey headquarters. The broadcast facility for the local news agency. A University where they research magical and mutant phenomena. A Vanguard recruitment office. On and on and on. All potential mission points.

That would be cool.

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

6 hours ago, TyrantMikey said:

I would love to see Boomtown revamped, and more work done on Faultline. I know everyone's gaga about the moon base, but I'd love to see a zone that is like New York City: street after street of skyscrapers. Not like Steel, mind you. I want MASSIVE sky scrapers, and the ceiling raised so we can go incredibly high. Put bridges between a few of them high up off the ground.

And fill it with fixed landmarks. Crey headquarters. The broadcast facility for the local news agency. A University where they research magical and mutant phenomena. A Vanguard recruitment office. On and on and on. All potential mission points.

That would be cool.

That works for me, we are never going to see the moonbase the way it was intended, it hadn't been developed enough for anyone to even be able to make a guess at how it should be, so I think concentrating on giving some love and updates to existing zones is a winner

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

The city feels like a not lived in industrial/financial district. 

Add stuff like a cinema with a line of people trying to buy a ticket, traffic jams once in a while, terraces and bars. 

And move around the villain spawn a bit: it's really silly that the hellions are robbing all the passersby in earshot of ms libby. 

Have them be a more logical places: dark corners and alleyways

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrewvm said:

Have them be a more logical places: dark corners and alleyways

You know, the one thing that Paragon is missing is Suicide Slums. Super dark, run down, where everyone is dirt-poor, the homeless are everywhere, the gangs freely roam the streets, drugs run rampant, and there's virtually no police presence. If there are cops, they're thoroughly corrupt.

Ideally, it would be higher-level than Kings Row. 

32 minutes ago, TyrantMikey said:

You know, the one thing that Paragon is missing is Suicide Slums. Super dark, run down, where everyone is dirt-poor, the homeless are everywhere, the gangs freely roam the streets, drugs run rampant, and there's virtually no police presence. If there are cops, they're thoroughly corrupt.

Ideally, it would be higher-level than Kings Row. 

The gangs freely roam the streets in Perez Park...and there isn't really any police presence.

• Like 1