Techwright

It is 2019: How would you update the city?

We have universities but no preschools & K-12 schools for younger children.
Daycare Centers
People with disabilities
Fish Market

Fruit Stands
The Street Vendors that appear in Cap au Diable should also show up blueside too, especially in Talos by Spanky's Boardwalk, also in plazas across from office buildings in some zones.
Food Trucks, Ice Cream Trucks
Occasional Street Fairs and Food Festivals
Street Performers

Amusement parks with Roller Coasters, Carousel, Bumper Cars, Water Parks
Zoos
Rental Bike Stands
Bike lanes (as was mentioned earlier in the thread)

Multi-Purpose indoor venues for Rock Concerts, Sporting Events, Rallies (and mission maps for each of those, same map reskinned to look different.)

Staged for Basketball

1458740164_madisonsquaregardenBasketball.thumb.jpg.783dd079d2b1a41b427427e09e6893a1.jpg

Staged for Hockey

1642511922_madisonsquaregardenhockey.thumb.jpg.3b0d9fc2fc272748e81562184fc7d107.jpg

Staged for Boxing

279244086_MSGBoxing2.thumb.jpg.f5ea07403be56edf4e8738e749d3627f.jpg

1974034950_madisonsquaregardenBoxing.thumb.jpg.3caa85019c90d567c11476f05fe46d41.jpg

Staged for UFC

48730164_madisonsquaregardenUFC.thumb.jpg.1fe942736bd4e54296ac53efc0b31f99.jpg

Staged for Rock Concert

973909566_madisonsquaregardenConcert.thumb.jpg.19008d2eef0ca8f8276b3b16934bb35f.jpg

Staged for Circus

944663627_MSGCircus2.thumb.png.246dbea90cbc47a8e3f9f9e9b225eb46.png

Staged for PBR (Professional Bull Riding)

486248093_MSGpbr_msg-3467.thumb.jpg.dd2407ba091a95d6174b28cadd3a5df2.jpg

Staged for Motorcross

994575925_BikeFMXCollage.thumb.jpg.a22c4841e2fddcdecc4e1285053daf5d.jpg

Lore-wise what are Paragon City's sports teams? What teams are their rivals? The name of music groups people listen to?

The answer to those questions could show up as NPC dialog (talking about a recent game), flyers/billboard around the city, etc...

Edited by Shadowsleuth

I recently had some door missions take me to Kallisti Wharf. The level of difference in the quality of the textures and layouts is almost painful. The revamped Atlas Park is one of the only other zones that’s even close to that standard and it really makes a massive difference in how dated the game feels when you compare the issue 0 (c. 2004) assets of, say, Steel Canyon to the late 2012 assets in Kallisti Wharf.

So I would start with Steel Canyon and Brickstown and just start swapping out the tired old building meshes with their too small windows for the ones from Kallisti Wharf (use the “hero side” ones from KW for Steel to make it feel hyper modern and the rundown and industrial ones from the “villain side” of KW for Brickstown).

Steel Canyon particularly feels desperately generic and in need of such a facelift. Brickstown doesn’t need it near as much, but other than Kings Row (which is outleveled far too quickly).

I’d also look at re-using some of the Praetoria building models as well in a general revamp. Praetoria is/was a parallel universe with similar figures and even warped versions of Primal organizations (ex. Both had a PPD) so having a parallel to the TPN (only it would the Total PARAGON Network in Primal) and other distinct buildings would make some degree of sense.

Essentially, just spread some the gorgeously designed work out of the rarely visited zones and into the much more populated ones.

They should add an optional sepia filter for all the young players so they can tell that the game takes place in the distant past where people flipped open their cell phones and only chatted online via Instant Messenger like Skype.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, Chitlingrits said:

This would be great but make those npc's con hostile so that players can shut those eco-terrorists down and earn some new greenscaping badge!

A bike helmet and a cycling kit would be nice for the costume designer. My main pretends to bike around the city but I use the jet board because - no bikes. See. There's roleplaying on Indomitable too 🙂

On 10/17/2019 at 12:13 PM, Voltor said:

Why change anything?  The game is a snapshot or time capsule of 2012.  

Newer cars, taxi, bus, pick up truck. BTW, chrome bumpers died in the 70s, but that's what the cars in COX still have.

I think many of you forget that Paragon City is a city under siege. The Rikti invasion and all the super villains have changed the world to isolated pockets of civilization with some basic rural areas (we hope, or where else...) food comes from.  Some tech will evolve (i.e., flat screens, cell phones, newer cars), but many of those fancy things would be very low on the priority list for the current situation.  Hiking trails?  Those parks are infested with hoodlums and soul stealing magic users.  If anything, update some NPCs with modern clothing, have a bicyclist being held in CoT green smoke and a bike lying nearby (that would be a laugh: a hordeling wobbly riding said bike).  

I do like having shops one can enter and get a particular mission from an NPC in the shop. But I doubt many would be so open.  Wentworths can get away with it because 1) supers hang out there, 2) they have enough leverage to get a few precious police drones to guard the doors.

6 hours ago, gamingglen said:

Newer cars, taxi, bus, pick up truck. BTW, chrome bumpers died in the 70s, but that's what the cars in COX still have.

But, they need cars from the 70's to be able to handle running over super powered individuals. Nothing from modern times would last past the first look from a super, let alone actually running into them like 99.99999% of the drivers on the streets are wont to do.

2 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

But, they need cars from the 70's to be able to handle running over super powered individuals. Nothing from modern times would last past the first look from a super, let alone actually running into them like 99.99999% of the drivers on the streets are wont to do.

yeah, you're right. It's a lot easier to replace the front bumper than the whole front of the car after the super tears that bumper off.  I hear brutes like to use those bumpers as clubs.  But you also run into the problem of Freakshow stealing them for their daily wear.