New Difficulty Mechanic: Advanced Enemies

Personally, of all the options I've heard, I think I like the "psuedopet that drops a long duration skittles in a PBAoE then dies" the best because it has the most potential to provide both scaleability and variety.

In fact, thinking of it as inspirations is a pretty solid start point because they have four levels of power and each color provides a specific effect (switch health to absorb, and endurance to resist end/recover debuffs) so instead of just "advanced/not advanced" you could have "all foes get a long duration inspiration effect that is A) small, B) medium, C) large, D) ultimate" so even if you do get good enough to deal with one level, you can adjust it up to the next.

Another tier of difficulty would be "number of inspirations" so if you chose two, then two of the inspiration effect granting pets would spawn per mob. Choose three and get three, etc.

So now you have an additional difficulty option that's more akin to the original "Level Adjust/Group Size" in that its "inspiration size/number of inspirations."

If added into notoriety options though I'd suggest it be called "Inspired Enemies."

What about an enemy in some groups that could anti taunt? Instead of forcing you to target itself, it forces you to target a team mate or youself?

It could be like a mez or stun that will wear off or can be broken/protected against,  except if not careful you could harm your team, or maybe yourself? (Envisions punching self by accident - chuckles)

Would that even be possible?

Edited by Hero_of_Light

4 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

What about an enemy in some groups that could anti taunt? Instead of forcing you to target itself, it forces you to target a team mate or youself?

It could be like a mez or stun that will wear off or can be broken/protected against,  except if not careful you could harm your team, or maybe yourself? (Envisions punching self by accident - chuckles)

Would that even be possible?

Playing with my son the other day doing First Ward arc....I found myself repeatedly attacking him...and he was attacking me.  Its possible and its in game!  And its annoying and confusing lol

4 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Playing with my son the other day doing First Ward arc....I found myself repeatedly attacking him...and he was attacking me.  Its possible and its in game!  And its annoying and confusing lol

Oh really?! Haha I didn't know that,  that's cool! Although I bet confusing haha.

Ive never ran In to that, although I'm just now exploring first ward on a character. I'll have to make sure and get a team going! 😄

Was it annoying in a bad way, like having mobs outside first ward dojng it would suck, or having it happen every once in a while could be interesting?

Edited by Hero_of_Light

50 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

Oh really?! Haha I didn't know that,  that's cool! Although I bet confusing haha.

Ive never ran In to that, although I'm just now exploring first ward on a character. I'll have to make sure and get a team going! 😄

Was it annoying in a bad way, like having mobs outside first ward dojng it would suck, or having it happen every once in a while could be interesting?

It was in missions not outside so it may be arc specific and it was sons arc not sure which one...and annoying because we almost killed each other lol 

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

It was in missions not outside so it may be arc specific and it was sons arc not sure which one...and annoying because we almost killed each other lol 

Oh dang. I hope you at least had a good laugh haha.

Knowing me and my wife(no kids to play games with) we probably world have tried to finish each other off and the have the winner make dinner lol

Edited by Hero_of_Light

@MetaVileTerrorOkay.

You acknowledged that there are limited resources for the game which many play for free.

Rather than stick with the drum beat of gimme gimme farmme gimme bashing that is my instinctive auto response. I'll acknowledge that there may be something to what you are suggesting.

There is already a mechanic in place to trigger events at intervals (hp bar/time/progress). There are pools of powers from which a handful are selected for bosses.

It's possible there is an opportunity in leveraging those functions more to create variety and a bump in challenge which wouldn't necessarily be a just a puzzle or ocean of hit points. All without having to create new graphics. Someone smarter than myself (maybe MetaVileTerror) could figure out how to polish it up.

Edited by Troo
clarity

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 6 months later

If I follow what you're saying, Troo, then as I understand it; several of those mechanisms are coded in to the mission code specifically, not the enemies themselves.  It would certainly be nice to have more new content and have old content adjusted to include those features for added depth and engagement, but I believe that would pose more of a technical hurdle than many other suggestions.

I still believe the lowest hanging fruit with the dramatically largest pay-off is to provide a toggled difficulty option which triggers the spawn of enemies who buff the rest of their mob, or otherwise have Powers which synergize with and exponentially enhance the existing enemies for various factions.

Similar to what was mentioned in https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18409-flex-lvl-scale-for-missions-arcs/?tab=comments#comment-208287