Splitting the Fighting Pool into Off and Def Pools.

Cooltastic

12 hours ago, Crysta Clear said:

I posted the numbers for Tough and Weave earlier in this thread, especially as it relates to archetypes that don't have access to defense or resist powers in most of their primary and secondary sets, such as Blasters and Dominators. Tough is worth 6% defense, because it is the only resist power such an archetype will get, and it gives you a place to slot the two +3% Defense globals that are in Resist IO sets. And Weave is worth, at base, 3.5% for Blasters, whose defense scale is the lowest. This brings it up to 5.25% when slotted out, because the Defense ED cutoff starts at +50% of a power's effect.

So in total, Tough and Weave are worth 11.25% to all defenses, for a Blaster or a Dominator, possibly slightly more for the Dominator because I think their Weave starts at 3.75% (don't quote me on that). That 11.25% is exactly one fourth of the softcap, which is 45%, and it works for any defense build, whether you're going positional for better coverage (positional defenses' only hole is autohit abilities) and relying on sets and pool powers to get there, or typed in order to reach it easier with Scorpion Shield in your epic pool.

what IO sets and specials do is not relevant, as the game is never meant to be balanced around IOs, nor are any design decisions made about powers, their effects or what someone might choose to slot into the power. Also many AT have access to a dmg resist power in an ancillary pool. If not 2. You seem to be pushing the tough is a unique option that every build will take for a IO mule. Even if that is why people take a power, that reason is not to be a reason to alter the power, remove the power, or not add more power options.

I know its hard, but you very much do need to learn to ignore IOs and what they do when talking about powers, as theya re not relevant to any discussion about adding or altering powers. When we discuss power suggestions like this, you have to treat it like the pure SO pre IO era as that is what the game balances around for the sake of those who choose to only use vendor SOs and ignore IOs and crafting which a great many do.

• Thanks 1

They're absolutely relevant, because they're what the game is now. Sorry you don't like them, but if you don't use IO's, you're not the kind of player for whom mechanics even really matter.

In any case, that most recent change would still add an absorb shield to said characters, which is, yet again, more things for the same opportunity cost we're paying now. If you don't want to pay a feat tax, maybe fit Kick into your attack rotation. I have characters who do, or at the very least just use it for a convenient melee set mule.

Don't buff me. This game is already easy enough.

Edited by Crysta Clear

• 6 months later