Give us 'grindy' stuff (like vanguard) and costume unlocks back

Summerspark

This is going to be controversial, obviously. However at the same time, it's a lower-effort way to put longevity into a game that suits a smaller studio size.

Yeah we all have jobs, but there's psychological elements to how CoH did its 'grindplay'. Constant trickle of rewards to work towards the big thing was one of them - but there was another thing integral to CoH as a whole.

When you unlocked new costume pieces, you felt motivated to use it. In the game's current state, where it just frontloads you with everything, the costume creation is less fun. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but I know I personally don't have any desire to do it any more than I have, because I have no reason to - I've already done my thing. I've reached my endgame already. I've done the content and have nothing to work towards.

Back in the day, grinding vanguard merits for those cool costume pieces was dope. I'd come on after school, put in some graft after my homework, and feel happy. Now, I feel no reason to do it. Yeah I enjoy the game, but I may as well just do radio missions for all it counts.

Please consider giving us some minute rewards to work towards. Hell, I'd even grind for silly badges. Make me do a million vanguard missions to get a badge, I'm ready and waiting.

Edited by Summerspark
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I wish we could do a loooooong list of chores for signature heroes and villains in the game to earn their exclusive costume parts or body parts(such as Mako.) Imagine getting to run around in the Black Scorpion armor and slapping a cool helmet on with it. Hell, they could even gender lock these parts if absolutely need be. Just know if your running chores for that person you might wanna be the same gender.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That's why I'm not asking for the world - just some silly badges or something. Something small, that doesn't affect the players that don't have a lot of time. You're not the only one with limited time, but some of us like having a goal to work towards. Even if it's grindy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Summerspark said:

That's why I'm not asking for the world - just some silly badges or something. Something small, that doesn't affect the players that don't have a lot of time. You're not the only one with limited time, but some of us like having a goal to work towards. Even if it's grindy. 

I have plenty of goals to work towards.  I just prefer the ones I choose myself rather than having them forced on me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I would love to see some costumes that needed to be earned. Having to earn it gives it meaning and shows others that you put effort towards a particular faction, like the vanguard.

Not everyone wants to grind, I personally don't have a lot of time either, but I still would love to have some costumes pieces to strive for and rewards to be had.

Lots of people need goals to keep playing, and earning costume peices are an excellent goal to strive for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, molten_dragon said:

I have plenty of goals to work towards.  I just prefer the ones I choose myself rather than having them forced on me.

You could choose not to do these things were asking for to not get the rewards. 

Just like you can choose not to work towards incarnate, or choose to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

I would love to see some costumes that needed to be earned. Having to earn it gives it meaning and shows others that you put effort towards a particular faction, like the vanguard.

Not everyone wants to grind, I personally don't have a lot of time either, but I still would love to have some costumes pieces to strive for and rewards to be had.

Lots of people need goals to keep playing, and earning costume peices are an excellent goal to strive for.

At the same time, not everyone wants to come back to find one of the things they enjoyed about a game being stripped out. "Not everyone" is a hell of a term, and people forget it works multiple ways.  I get why it was initially taken out - not many people played on the secret private server that definitely didnt exist and those that did were a tiny minority of players - but now it's bigger again.

1 minute ago, Hero_of_Light said:

This. Literally nobody is holding a gun to your head. I choose not to play villain content because I find it boring for example - everyone's gonna have content they want and content they don't.

• Like 2

Just now, Summerspark said:

At the same time, not everyone wants to come back to find one of the things they enjoyed about a game being stripped out. "Not everyone" is a hell of a term, and people forget it works multiple ways.  I get why it was initially taken out - not many people played on the secret private server that definitely didnt exist and those that did were a tiny minority of players - but now it's bigger again.

Im just saying that options are good :). We need grindy things to go along with non grindy things : D.

I miss that I don't have costume sets and peices to work towards. 

Just now, Hero_of_Light said:

Im just saying that options are good :). We need grindy things to go along with non grindy things : D.

I miss that I don't have costume sets and peices to work towards. 

Same. i remember getting so excited when I'd worked towards a new costume piece/set and finally got it. It inspired me to go right to icon and make use of it, see what I could do. Half the time it sucked and didn't work, but hell at least I have the thing now, and there was generally something else to set my sights on.

• Like 1

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, I vividly remember getting my first cape and unlocking Cim costumes for the first time.  Ditto the witch's hat.  I felt like I had "won" and that I had earned my new costume pieces and "deserved" to don them.

That said, I rarely bothered to go out of my way to "earn" these things on more than one or two toons (except capes, since there were always people outside Icon to help with the kills).  If it's a grind, it's not going to attract people.  Rather, they will do it to earn the badge on their badger (and few to no alts) or to get that "must have" item for RP or thematic reasons.  Me?  I don't need (or even now have) every toon in a cape or sporting those oh-so-horrible Cim sandals. 

Maybe if HC goes this way, they can make the rewarded item/power/badge/whatever account-wide?  That, at least, would be a decent compromise for those who are happy to get that "i won" rush . . . but will never replicate that initial "rush" on multiple alts (hence the grind part).  Yay! I got capes was a thing, for sure, but the "i won" wears off precipitously.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hero_of_Light said:

No thanks.  I mean badges sure, I couldn't care less about badges.  But I don't want costume pieces locked behind a grindwall.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hard pass.  Do you have every available badge yet?  Do you have a star next to every story arc in Oro?  There's plenty of grind in the game still.  What it sounds like is that you want something to lord over people's heads to say "look how much more dedicated I am".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

Hard pass.  Do you have every available badge yet?  Do you have a star next to every story arc in Oro?  There's plenty of grind in the game still.  What it sounds like is that you want something to lord over people's heads to say "look how much more dedicated I am".

I don't know where this hostility comes from, but you're wrong. Getting all the available badges involves content that I personally don't like - just as you might personally not like grindy content. That is all ok. Please don't use aggression to get your point across, though. I don't appreciate being accused of things.

• Like 1

The thing I like the most on Homecoming, in comparison to some other servers out there, is specifically that by allowing free access to all costumes and base items it gives a great creative freedom. So a step back from that would be extremely negative in that regard, as it will give this creative freedom to fewer people, while others might not have the possibility or be inclined to unlock such items.

Putting some new items behind grindwall would still be far from good in light of the above, at least from my perspective. Putting behind grindwall items that are now available freely would be even worse. So for me this is just a bad idea that I hope will not be implemented. There are already enough things to grind for if one feels so inclined, and the grind can be made even longer if one so wishes. No need to harm the fun for those who, on the other hand, do not enjoy grinding as much, or even worse cannot grind as much.

Edited by Itikar
  • Like 2

Yeah. New items behind Grindwalls.

Right now, everything is free because most of us -did- the grinding on Live to unlock everything. Or most stuff. If your character needed the Vanguard stuff to look good, or the Purchased costume pieces, you got them on live.

Remaking the character on this server? No one wants to do the grind, again, and we aren't allowed to throw profits at the Dev Team because NCSoft would murder them. So keeping everything that -is- unlocked the way it is? Golden.

But putting new stuff in the game locked behind Gameplay Walls? Brilliant idea. Perfect. Beautiful. 

New Costume pieces? I will murder 2,000 Warwalkers for them.

New Archetypes? I will grind my way to Vet Level 100 for them.

New Titles? New Badges? New Powersets? I'll complete every TF and Trial both Red and Blue on a single character for that account-unlock.

Gimme.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Itikar said:

The thing I like the most on Homecoming, in comparison to some other servers out there, is specifically that by allowing free access to all costumes and base items it gives a great creative freedom. So a step back from that would be extremely negative in that regard, as it will give this creative freedom to fewer people, while others might not have the possibility or be inclined to unlock such items.

Putting some new items behind grindwall would still be far from good in light of the above, at least from my perspective. Putting behind grindwall items that are now available freely would be even worse. So for me this is just a bad idea that I hope will not be implemented. There are already enough things to grind for if one feels so inclined, and the grind can be made even longer if one so wishes. No need to harm the fun for those who, on the other hand, do not enjoy grinding as much, or even worse cannot grind as much.

Could you explain why you think that not making costume pieces unlockable would be better? I went into how there's a psychological aspect to it, but you just seem to be being contrarian. Is there an actual reason you think that?

37 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

New Costume pieces? I will murder 2,000 Warwalkers for them.

New Archetypes? I will grind my way to Vet Level 100 for them.

New Titles? New Badges? New Powersets? I'll complete every TF and Trial both Red and Blue on a single character for that account-unlock.

Gimme.

No thanks.  Don't  make me do boring things as "payment" for cool fun things.  

Now tying new content (powersets, archetypes, costume pieces, badges, whatever) I'm okay with as long as I don't have to do one specific thing forever to unlock it.  I'll give you an example of what I mean.

When the incarnate system first went live, the only way to get your alpha slot to T4 was to run the lambda and BAF over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  This is what I don't want.

Now, I still have to work to get my incarnate abilities, but I have a large variety of ways I can go about it.  This I'm fine with.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Summerspark said:

Could you explain why you think that not making costume pieces unlockable would be better? I went into how there's a psychological aspect to it, but you just seem to be being contrarian. Is there an actual reason you think that?

I explained it, right at the beginning of my post. Because they would be available to fewer people, not just me, so I would not be able to see and enjoy all the costumes more people would create with them. I would still be able to see what the people who grind for them do with them, and perhaps what I do with them, but why settle for less if I can have more?

With the same logic base deco could be available after massive grind as it was on live. I am pretty glad it is not that way, so I can enjoy the many bases people have built.

On top of that, just because the items are available it does not mean that you cannot set yourself a goal before using them on your character. The same way people do not go DFB or AE in order to level-up, or do not use xp boosters. There was a post here a few days ago that detailed how there was a supergroup on live whose members retired their character after the first death. I don't see how this could not be done for this too, without altering the experience other people pretty much enjoy as it is.

So, given all the above, for me this is thumbs down.

Edited by Itikar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At no point did I say "Do I have to do the Katie Hannon Trial 30 times in a 48 hour period to unlock a Witch's Broom travel power?! SIGN ME UP!"

I get that it can be frustrating to have to do the same content over and over and over again. S'why I didn't suggested.

Oh... The Warwalkers was supposed to be Warworks. Like any of the Clockwork IDF members, up to and including the Warwalkers. I think you'd hit the 1,500 mark just doing all the mid to late game Praetoria content the first time through (Including the Incarnate Trials).