The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Keep crashing to login, need help!

Batspecter

On my Villain character I travelled to Port Oakes on the Ferry. However, ever since I have been stuck on the loading screen almost halfway through the loading bar, and after a few minutes I'm sent to the log in screen. Is there any way I can fix this issue?

Note: I'm on the Everlasting server.

Edited by Batspecter

If another character loads, the character might be corrupted.  (It happens on occasion.)  Send a note to the GMs for assistance in that case.

If ALL characters fail to load, then there's something wrong that the community can help with.  Give that a shot.

32 characters. To be able to click Save.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, Tahquitz said:

If another character loads, the character might be corrupted.  (It happens on occasion.)  Send a note to the GMs for assistance in that case.

If ALL characters fail to load, then there's something wrong that the community can help with.  Give that a shot.

There are indeed instances where some of my characters fail to load. Although there are times that after a few attempts I'm able to load in, there are still times that it just fails to load fully and I keep crashing to the login screen. I'm not sure what it could be.

EDIT:
Side-note:image.thumb.png.c08a682914f3b6f8b69c373c18caf48f.png On my hero character, this is around the time I normally crash

Edited by Batspecter

The most likely culprit for this type of crash is a problem with your video card, most likely the drivers. 

What video card are you using, what operating system is your computer, and which driver version (and date) are you using? Also tell us roughly what graphic settings you are using (like performance, moderate, recommended, Ultra, Ultra and you turned on custom settings and put everything at max).

This game is old and mostly a pocket calculator can run it without problems but if you have a particularly weak videocard or obsolete drivers, that might explain the problem.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

6 hours ago, Erydanus said:

The most likely culprit for this type of crash is a problem with your video card, most likely the drivers. 

What video card are you using, what operating system is your computer, and which driver version (and date) are you using? Also tell us roughly what graphic settings you are using (like performance, moderate, recommended, Ultra, Ultra and you turned on custom settings and put everything at max).

This game is old and mostly a pocket calculator can run it without problems but if you have a particularly weak videocard or obsolete drivers, that might explain the problem.

My graphics card is AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, my operating system is 64-bit, my driver date is 4/15/2015 and the version is 1.3.1.277

And here are my graphics settings.

image.png.1d93be1f83236e6a427e0455eecbd78c.png

Well, it's an integrated card and I'm not personally familiar with it so I can only get you started. I'd try a couple things.

1. Check for an updated driver from your computer manufacturer, I'm guessing it's a laptop by the resolution you've picked. It's a 2015 driver, that's old. It might just need an update to play nice with everything, heck it might just need to be reinstalled.

2. If that doesn't help, drop your graphics quality a notch and see if it does. Then drop it another notch and see if it helps. Keep doing that until the graphics are floored - it's ugly I know but if that stops your problems with loading, then it tells you something.

The only other thing I can think of is to check your hard drive. (Check to see if it's almost full, run a basic windows check to see if it has errors, etc.)  I used to have slow loading problems that sometimes crashed me out of another game (especially loading into the biggest game hub) and the culprit was mostly that I had a big old slow conventional hard drive. When I upgraded to an SSD my load times dropped from 2 minutes to about 15 seconds - and the issue was just that my hard drive couldn't load the graphical elements and textures quickly enough. Since you're having problems zoning in that's another possibility. But you did verify the game files as already suggested, right?

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

1 hour ago, Erydanus said:

Well, it's an integrated card and I'm not personally familiar with it so I can only get you started. I'd try a couple things.

1. Check for an updated driver from your computer manufacturer, I'm guessing it's a laptop by the resolution you've picked. It's a 2015 driver, that's old. It might just need an update to play nice with everything, heck it might just need to be reinstalled.

2. If that doesn't help, drop your graphics quality a notch and see if it does. Then drop it another notch and see if it helps. Keep doing that until the graphics are floored - it's ugly I know but if that stops your problems with loading, then it tells you something.

The only other thing I can think of is to check your hard drive. (Check to see if it's almost full, run a basic windows check to see if it has errors, etc.)  I used to have slow loading problems that sometimes crashed me out of another game (especially loading into the biggest game hub) and the culprit was mostly that I had a big old slow conventional hard drive. When I upgraded to an SSD my load times dropped from 2 minutes to about 15 seconds - and the issue was just that my hard drive couldn't load the graphical elements and textures quickly enough. Since you're having problems zoning in that's another possibility. But you did verify the game files as already suggested, right?

I can see what I can do with the first two, but before then I can try verifying the game files. I would have done that already, but the problem is I'm not sure how. Is it the re-validate button on the options screen for tequila?

14 hours ago, Erydanus said:

Yes in Tequila if you click the Options button on the next screen it says Re-Validate on the bottom, or exit (options).

Yeah, I re-validated the files and everything came up fine. I'm going to lower the graphics, see if that does anything.

Alright, so update:

I lowered the graphics to recommended, and on my hero character everything was fine. However, once I tried loading into Port Oakes as my villain character-- I crashed to the login again. I thought he was corrupted, so I decided to remake him. After the tutorial though, I crashed to the login while loading to Mercy Island. Unsure what I should do now..

Edited by Batspecter

On 11/4/2019 at 8:53 PM, Batspecter said:

Yeah, I re-validated the files and everything came up fine. I'm going to lower the graphics, see if that does anything.

Alright, so update:

I lowered the graphics to recommended, and on my hero character everything was fine. However, once I tried loading into Port Oakes as my villain character-- I crashed to the login again. I thought he was corrupted, so I decided to remake him. After the tutorial though, I crashed to the login while loading to Mercy Island. Unsure what I should do now..

Update: I've installed some new drivers, and I'm going to see if the issue is fixed.

My experience with AMD cards is limited.  I had one for maybe 8 months.  If it's a new system with modern drivers, I'd have to rely on others to give advice.  Like Erydanus said, turning graphics down to a minimum and see if you can successfully load in and play for a bit (it may not work well, but hopefully ENOUGH.)  Then turn stuff on one at a time until you find the culprit.

32 characters. To be able to click Save.

11 minutes ago, Tahquitz said:

My experience with AMD cards is limited.  I had one for maybe 8 months.  If it's a new system with modern drivers, I'd have to rely on others to give advice.  Like Erydanus said, turning graphics down to a minimum and see if you can successfully load in and play for a bit (it may not work well, but hopefully ENOUGH.)  Then turn stuff on one at a time until you find the culprit.

Alright, so I updated my drivers, and decided to try again. Tried loading in on my villain, and I ended up login crashing again. Right now I'm in the process of re-validating the files and I'm about to jump back in and see if it works. If not, I'll try turning the graphics down like you said. I'll give an update.

20 hours ago, Batspecter said:

Alright, so I updated my drivers, and decided to try again. Tried loading in on my villain, and I ended up login crashing again. Right now I'm in the process of re-validating the files and I'm about to jump back in and see if it works. If not, I'll try turning the graphics down like you said. I'll give an update.

UPDATE: So I played with minimum for a while (and tried to bear how ugly it looked), then I decided to try and bump it up to quality and see how it went. It went good for a while, however eventually it did end up booting me out to the login screen again so now I'm stuck back with minimum. Not sure what to do now..

if the video driver is damaged use ddu in safe mode to remove it and then reinstall. also power down and make sure the gpu is locked into the mb and it not dust killed and the fans are working. if they are run a few video diag on the card see if the card video ram has a bad spot.

I have this same issue. Win 7 64 bit (I've also tried 32 bit in the game. Dell Inspiron n5050 laptop. Intel Graphics 3000 integrated, of course. I even updated the drivers after the issue started.

Reducing option is not working.

For me, this issue just started on Sunday...which is a high internet traffic day with Spectrum, so I figured that might have been the issue, but nope, still there today.

Reducing my options does not work.

I also tried completely uninstalling my video drivers, restarted the computer, installed a fresh download of the drivers, restarted, and it still has the same issue.

And yet, I can play more graphically intensive games with no issues.

Edited by PeterDutcherJr