Old Character Data

USCI

While I don't have an issue with the characters being imported - everyone is going to hit 50 / Incarnate before long anyway and it's not a competition.  However, I think the potential for a greater issue is the impact on economy in the massive influx of influence and / or the enhancements that would come along with them.  Granted, this wouldn't be an issue for most folks, but all it'd take is for a few unscrupulous folks to put a stranglehold on the market.

Of course, I'd really like to believe that it wouldn't happen - the potential alone would be enough to give me pause.

my 2 cents

if they going to make it possible to use old character then old characters should play on there server because its not fair for players who didnt save there characters if they are going to be on the same server

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

You are confusing the Sentinel AT with the program... Sentinel+ - which is what this conversation is about. Sentinel+ was a tool that allowed you to "record" all your character data that was on Live before sunset. The hopes were that if there was any down time and Paragon brought the game back.... you could use your Sentinel+ data to restore your previous Live character.

I actually copied a lot of characters to Snetinel.

Sentinel was meant to bring back characters if the IP was sold right after the shutdown... not 6.5 years later.

Have no clue were you got that information from... Sentinel was added by the SCORE team after shutdown it has nothing to do with NCSoft its custom for their private build which is what this server is using... and many of the newer secondary powers were also SCORE additions... for example Ninja Training (not new but new for blasters)...

You can read all the SCORE teams changes they made to the official i24 https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cLJiSYlfueJheOumRywG8Evip2Mjmu_30Y6ePaetqY/edit

Its good to bare in mind that many of the coders are working with the i24 source code and improving/optimizing that as they dont have the source code for SCORES unofficial i25 build so if they make great improvements in the future with their build and optimize it to run better and require less hardware the Homecoming team maybe choose to switch over which most likely would require a wipe and the listed changes in that document would be gone but thats a long way down the road.

I wouldn't have any issue with it being limited to one NEW server. If others wanted to join that server to play with all the imported characters - then it would be their choice. I highly doubt it will ever come to fruition... and even if it did I am 98.78251635% sure I wouldn't upload any of my characters.

my 2 cents

if they going to make it possible to use old character then old characters should play on there server because its not fair for players who didnt save there characters if they are going to be on the same server

I actually copied a lot of characters to Snetinel.

Sentinel was meant to bring back characters if the IP was sold right after the shutdown... not 6.5 years later.

Have no clue were you got that information from... Sentinel was added by the SCORE team after shutdown it has nothing to do with NCSoft its custom for their private build which is what this server is using... and many of the newer secondary powers were also SCORE additions... for example Ninja Training (not new but new for blasters)...

Sentinel and Sentinel+ were created years / months before the existence of SCoRE, while the game was live.

Sentinel (no plus) was what City Info Tracker used to track characters and their badges when the game was live. https://cit.cohtitan.com/sentinel/

Sentinel+ was created while the game was live explicitly to allow people to bring their characters back (in limited fashion) in the event that the game was ever brought back or if private servers were created. You can see the original post about it in September of 2012: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4971.0

Why would you want this?  There are three possible reasons I can think of: [skipping 1 and 2] Reimporting your characters. We don't know what the ultimate outcome of this will be. Specifically, there is a chance that City of Heroes might be acquired by another publisher, studio, or organization, but that in the process the account database can't be transferred. If that happens, we will offer whoever acquires the game the algorithm used to generate the checksum that detects whether the file has been modified, which would give them the capability of accepting these files and re-importing the characters onto alternate servers with a moderately high assurance that people haven't, for example, futzed around and made their level 23 blaster a level 50+3 Incarnate. You might not be able to import everything due to the possibility of exploit by shuffling inventory around, but at least you won't have to start over from scratch.

For people running servers, a utility was made that can import Sentinel+ characters: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13387.0

You can use the Senticon extractor to pull costumes from the Sentinel+ files: https://cit.cohtitan.com/senticon/index.php (The guy that developed them is working on an easier way to do this, in browser).

Anyway, seeing as how this is now going to be ran as a community-based MMO, is there anyway to incorporate an upload function to the game for the XML files that we were able to save?  If not upload, offer a fee service to have an admin change the character data?  I would pay some serious coin to be able to recover the data that I had downloaded, specifically the badges and the slotting.  Just a thought.

For the moment, it is possible if you (or someone you know) are running your own solo / small scale server: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13387.0

Fair?  Who determines what's fair?
Ultimately, the server operators do.

• 2 years later

I still have my old titan files, I don't know if they will work, but I do hope that we have the option to restore our old characters.  I would love to get back on my lvl 50+3s Mind Control Storm Summoner and play all the high level content I was playing before the game was shut down. I just found out the game is back and playable, I can't even explain how happy that made me, but I have a feeling many if not all of you know the feeling. I can't wait to go and set it up.

Edited by TheEyeofMazataar

Holy necro 2yr old post. Your old files won’t work. It’s a new start for all of us. Live is dead, long live HC.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Wow.  Yeah, what a necro.

But since it's been brought up, the code of HC has changed enough with regards to ATs and powers that I doubt an import of Sentinel+ files would even be possible, at least not without some major work going into adapting data to fit the changes, and it's just not worth it.

The good news is that if you have those old xml files, you can open them yourself and see exactly what you had (may take some deciphering).  Then you can just recreate the characters in HC, and it won't be long before you're back up to incarnate levels.  I guarantee doing that will be faster than waiting around for the possibility to import old characters!

6 hours ago, TheEyeofMazataar said:

I still have my old titan files, I don't know if they will work, but I do hope that we have the option to restore our old characters. 

Your characters, no, but the Titan Icon (IIRC) program will let you extract the costume files from your Sentinel+ files, although you will sometimes get errors when you try to load them and have to fix up some of the pieces. And the Sentinel+ files give you the build information to recreate the characters, although you'll have to guess at when you allocated slots, because the game doesn't track that.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:55 PM, USCI said:

after the game shutdown, it forced me out in the sunlight where I found the love of my life

True story:

After CoH was murdered, I was bereft, and my shrink gave me homework: meet someone.

I reconnected with a 30-year-ago college crush and we wound up getting married.

Good times.

She later got cancer and died.

Guess what came back? The timing was uncanny.

It helped so much.

I wish I could have showed her the game I kept going on about, but the timing was not to be.

When I say I love this game, I mean it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)