Sorry not sorry

Gravitus

I think after reading through this thread there are a lot of wanna-be CEOs that play this game.

Newsflash, you don't get to dictate how other use powers in the game.

Not exploits, powers coded and meant to be used in the game.

Like the OP, I will play my characters using every single thing in the game I like.

If you don't like the things I use, then YOU can leave the team, and/or YOU can use the tools provided to tailor YOUR experience.

If YOU have a problem with what is occuring on the team, it is up to YOU to leave, not prevent other players from using the powers that the game provides, full stop.

Don't let the control freaks and Fun Haters Players Union stop your fun.

Play the way you like and let the fun-haters go play the game like a job on another team.

Fun per second is the main thing, not the trivial rewards like Influence and Recipes, slogging through mobs in some effort to 'maximize profits' like a job. 

The best part of these threads is that I get to add names to my in-game ignore list w/o ever having to go through the pain of teaming with hateful people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

It depends on whether you want a "meat tenderiser" risk-free playstyle or not. Yes, funnelling every enemy you can into the hotspot is an efficient way of playing, but I would argue it's not a particularly fun one. There's a substantial amount of players who avoid the "we stand here until the tank moves then we stand there until the tank moves" teams because, well, there's no challenge to them so there's no fun. 

I used to main a peacebringer - they have knockback coming out of every wispy, glowing orifice - far beyond what IOs could deal with - and I could hammer through enemies at a rate of knots and then shift into dwarf form to use AoE knockback as a control mechanism - it's phenomenal at mid levels when brutes draw aggro tankers but have scrapper defences. I also got a brute to incarnate levels who relied pretty heavily on AoE attacks and it never really bothered me. Likewise a stalker. 

There's a difference between farming and playing.

Well, at least you admit you make it harder on the team. I'll remember that for my defenders/corrupters on other teams.... "sorry guys, REAL heroes don't need no namby pamby "meat tenderizer" (de)buffs!"

Edited by Bossk_Hogg

11 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Well, at least you admit you make it harder on the team. I'll remember that for my defenders/corrupters on other teams.... "sorry guys, REAL heroes don't need no namby pamby "meat tenderizer" (de)buffs!"

How about "Real Heroes don't need to herd enemies like cattle, they take the fighting to the enemy!"

Or "Real Heroes understand the powers given by the Well come in many forms and they adapt!"

Even "Real Heroes don't feel the need to act like Villians to other Heroes."

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

The best part of these threads is that I get to add names to my in-game ignore list w/o ever having to go through the pain of teaming with hateful people.

I'm sure I will be heartbroken to miss a teaming opportunity with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jubakumbi said:

How about "Real Heroes don't need to herd enemies like cattle, they take the fighting to the enemy!"

Or "Real Heroes understand the powers given by the Well come in many forms and they adapt!"

Even "Real Heroes don't feel the need to act like Villians to other Heroes."

Who bothers herding anymore? 99% of the time, "get em" works every time. Throw down debuffs and AE's, move on. Scattering them DOES slow down fights, which you seem to be dancing around rather than just outright admit and own. 

• Like 3

Feel the need to respond to this thread as I have gone through being put down for using certain power sets by this community as well.

While the poster comes off as an arrogant prick for calling people morons and lazy for not knowing about null the gull, I don't think people should be told not use specific powers just because you don't like them.   It works both ways on a pug.   You cannot walk in expecting a specific play style unless there's a disclaimer of say "speed run" at the start.    

Unless it's blatant some one is griefing,  the content in this game is not difficult enough to warrant singling people out for using a power you personally have a problem with.

And to the poster, just because some one doesn't know about null the gull doesn't make them lazy or a moron.   Your argument loses credibility by insulting people because of your ignorance.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Who bothers herding anymore? 99% of the time, "get em" works every time. Throw down debuffs and AE's, move on. Scattering them DOES slow down fights, which you seem to be dancing around rather than just outright admit and own. 

Admit what, I play for fun and don't care about XP/Rewards per minute?

I admint that all the time, it's the way I play the game.

Of course scattering mobs takes longer than putting them a barrell to shoot like farmed raised fish.

Duh?

KB makes the game fun, chaos makes the games fun.

I see herders almost every time I join a team outside of DFB, or at least timid players that wait for someone else to gather mobs via initial aggro.

And I do love to dance, how did you know?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Scattering can be a valid tactic.   Not every mission is a "defeat all" and used properly, it can be a great way to avoid large mobs and breeze past them while they are busy getting back up.

41 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Scattering can be a valid tactic.   Not every mission is a "defeat all" and used properly, it can be a great way to avoid large mobs and breeze past them while they are busy getting back up.

What Bossk is failing (intentionally or not) to admit is that properly herded mobs will not scatter.

Agent Knockback doesn't slow down the team. And, he deals with the rare KB accident.

Let me ask you this, Bossk. Do any of your character have the Nemesis Staff?

• Like 1

But what if they are polite enough not to complain but hate it anyway? I don't complain about it in PUGs, but I know my enjoyment of the game is diminished by people scattering targets willy nilly. I also put KB->KD procs in KB powers if I have them. Being considerate, and hoping others are in turn doesn't make you shitty. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

By that logic, no one should ever play a scrapper when everyone knows that stalkers do higher single target damage and controllers should be banned because they're the second best at two things, the scum. But obviously nobody is saying that. I'm saying that this game caters to myriad playstyles and most people can succeed in most circumstances with relative speed and safety. 

Knockback is fun - this is a game about superheroes and sending an enemy flying is fun. Knockback can, should, and often is used to put enemies into position. Knockback can be used as a control mechanism - it's a survival mechanism and a positioning mechanism. I'm not saying people should indiscriminately use any power they like just because - obviously a level of awareness is needed, but it's not the Great Destroyer that people seem to make it out to be. It's pretty hard to actively shunt a target out of AoE range and most autopilot back in pretty quickly. Yes, it can be annoying, but so can a numpty putting an AoE somewhere completely stupid - I've seen that a lot more than people seem to admit. Some people see an enemy and just plop their AoEs on the floor without thinking about aggro or positioning. A team is a collaboration and all players need to be aware of their teammates - leaving immobilises until enemies are where they want them to be, positioning AoEs mindfully and using knockback strategically.

tldr: Knockback can be annoying if not used sensibly. AoEs can be annoying if not used sensibly. The entire mechanic of tanking can be annoying when the tank doesn't show any awareness of their teammates - I've seen people prioritising Fury generation over making sure their teammates aren't overwhelmed. Group Fly can be annoying, but it has an off switch and can be dealt with by shimmying slightly to the side.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

23 minutes ago, Inverted said:

You all should try to make your team happy.  And not try to force them to conform to your play style.

By leaving the team if you don't like the way they play.

I have no obligation to anyone in this game, 'should' is nothing more than guilt-tool, IMO.

I will play the way I want to play, my only obligation is to myself and my wife, thanks, not some random human in a game on the Internet that does not like KB.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

But what if they are polite enough not to complain but hate it anyway? I don't complain about it in PUGs, but I know my enjoyment of the game is diminished by people scattering targets willy nilly. I also put KB->KD procs in KB powers if I have them. Being considerate, and hoping others are in turn doesn't make you shitty. 

If your enjoyment is diminished and you stay anyway, you have chosen to enjoy being diminished, IMO.

You have the choice to leave a team that, for any reson, is no fun for you.

If you choose to be a silent martyr, that's on you, not the other players.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

By leaving the team if you don't like the way they play.

I have no obligation to anyone in this game, 'should' is nothing more than guilt-tool, IMO.

I will play the way I want to play, my only obligation is to myself and my wife, thanks, not some random human in a game on the Internet that does not like KB.

Ah, a diminished conscience.   Are you a run of the mill sociopath or full blown psycho?

This community is full of good people that want to help and work together to accomplish goals.   Weird, right?  You'd feel left out, if you felt anything at all.

PS - "guilt tool" is funny!  I'm laughing at you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Ah, a diminished conscience.   Are you a run of the mill sociopath or full blown psycho?

This community is full of good people that want to help and work together to accomplish goals.   Weird, right?  You'd feel left out, if you felt anything at all.

PS - "guilt tool" is funny!  I'm laughing at you.

Thanks!

I learned something new today!

I can easily be part of a team, I make an excellent teammate, I have even had compliments.

That has nothing to do with having an obligation to alter my playstyle to appease some random person who thinks it's OK to tell others to alter their playstyles over KB, etc.

The "-ould" sound is all about guilt. Should, would, could - all tools to make someone else feel bad to get them to do one's bidding.

Laugh away! Happy to bring joy!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

If they don't complain then nobody knows, problem solved as far as I'm concerned. Especially since I'm not the one scattering mobs.

If there is the rare occasion it bugs me, I just leave the team. But I'm significantly more likely to leave because of people whining about KB, or whining in general. 

Edit: I should clarify, I don't consider simply asking for compromise or adjustments when teaming to be whining or complaining. The context and tone of how it's stated play a determinig factor in such situations. 

Edited by MunkiLord

On 10/28/2019 at 3:39 PM, Gulbasaur said:

I know this is off topic a little bit, but I feel this way about knockback. Hitting tab to retarget isn't really that hard and you can set it up to target the nearest enemy. Melee archetypes don't get a special pass to demand others play the way they want all the time. 

If I am the leader of the team, and somebody is knocking grouped mobs all over the place making AoEs useless, the player knocking everything back gets a request to not scatter (Knock Back by skilled players will not scatter mobs) mobs. If that player refuses, I help that player in to a position to find a team that better fits his/her playstyle.

No matter how much somebody wants to champion their knock back, if their playstyle goes against mine, they will be removed. I am almost always team leader, so removing them is of little effort.

Now, on the flip side, if I join a team and see knock back going on, I will simply find a pleasant way to exit the team and find one that better suited me. 

The bad thing here is, there are a LOT of bad players out there who use Knock Back and scatter mobs...and they live by "don't tell me how to play" mentallity when asked to kindly not scatter mobs. Players like this are ignored and removed. I would rather not play with players like this. It is rude and arrogant.

P.S. This does not apply to single target knock back. STKB does not bother me one bit. I simply retarget and move on.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

The bad thing here is, there are a LOT of bad players out there who use Knock Back and scatter mobs

I am of the opinion that the issue isn't knock-backs per se;  It is the careless and selfish use of them.  Knock enemies INTO range of an AoE all you want, or to get them into a melee ATs damage/taunt aura all you want.  Heck, I'm fine with teammates using knockback on enemies that have separated from the group, in order to protect themselves or other team members...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, biostem said:

I am of the opinion that the issue isn't knock-backs per se;  It is the careless and selfish use of them.  Knock enemies INTO range of an AoE all you want, or to get them into a melee ATs damage/taunt aura all you want.  Heck, I'm fine with teammates using knockback on enemies that have separated from the group, in order to protect themselves or other team members...

Very good examples of a good player. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Yall aren't wrong, BUT, occasionally leading off a mob with Nova is a thing of beauty and totally worth the scatter. One time I was on my Dark/Earth Dom and playing with a super aggressive KB heavy Energy Blaster. I was trying to beat him to mobs with my immobilize, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The race was fun though. But one time we timed it so that the immobilize was applied as the mobs were flying back, so they were all planted in a scattered fashion and it was glorious and hilarious.

I need more Energy Blasters in my life.

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MunkiLord said:

But one time we timed it so that the immobilize was applied as the mobs were flying back, so they were all planted in a scattered fashion and it was glorious and hilarious.

Hey, I'm all for some "glorious and hilarious" encounters, if that's what was discussed and agreed upon with/by your teammates.  To do stuff like that without everyone being on the same page just results in chaos and potentially someone's defeat.  In short, do what you like, but talk to your teammates about it and make sure everyone is on board to do so...

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Hey, I'm all for some "glorious and hilarious" encounters, if that's what was discussed and agreed upon with/by your teammates.  To do stuff like that without everyone being on the same page just results in chaos and potentially someone's defeat.  In short, do what you like, but talk to your teammates about it and make sure everyone is on board to do so...

That happening wasn't planned, just worked out that way since he got there slightly before me. And it led to me dying. But debt builds character, so I was good with it.