Absorb-O
Blitzfist
Quasar Lad

Message me here or in-game at @HNBC

Edited by Kang081
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Been trying to reach out via global to a name holder, but it's been a long, long time with no response.

In the event that the player is no longer active, and hasn't been for a long time, do you think it's possible the GMs might be able to help? Like, check the idle threshold and if it's been long enough, GenericHero the character in question to free up the name?

Doubt it as having a GM change the name of another player’s account opens a can of worms that the HC GMs don’t want to deal with.  I think a maybe a name purge for inactive accounts might be a better option but last I remember the GMs said that they would do one a while back but that never happened.

Edited by Unknown_User

22 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Doubt it as having a GM change the name of another player’s account opens a can of worms that the HC GMs don’t want to deal with.  I think a maybe a name purge for inactive accounts might be a better option but last I remember the GMs that they would do one a while back but that never happened.

Not change their account, I'm not talking about their Global Handle, just a character name.

I remember back on Live, certain characters would suddenly get Generic'd if they broke some copyright rule, so I know the powers exist. I just wonder at this particular usage.

5 hours ago, NemeanLion said:

Not change their account, I'm not talking about their Global Handle, just a character name.

I remember back on Live, certain characters would suddenly get Generic'd if they broke some copyright rule, so I know the powers exist. I just wonder at this particular usage.

Sorry guess I should have made my statement clearer but the answer in regards to a GM going into another player’s account and do a generic’d name change on a character on that account just so you can get that name is going to be a resounding NO!  Back then The CoH team generic’d character names for legal reasons.  What you’re asking for is way out of bounds and I hope and pray that no GM gives in to that request, ever. I understand that there’s a name you want very badly but it’s not justification for you to make that request to a GM.   

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Sorry guess I should have made my statement clearer but the answer in regards to a GM going into another player’s account and do a generic’d name change on a character on that account just so you can get that name is going to be a resounding NO!  Back then The CoH team generic’d character names for legal reasons.  What you’re asking for is way out of bounds and I hope and pray that no GM gives in to that request, ever. I understand that there’s a name you want very badly but it’s not justification for you to make that request to a GM.   

How is that different from the name purge you were talking about before? Is that not what you were referring to?

3 minutes ago, NemeanLion said:

How is that different from the name purge you were talking about before? Is that not what you were referring to?

One difference is that the name purge freed up some names and put it back into availability for everyone.   So every active player had a shot at the names freed up.  What you want to do only benefits you and only you.

The biggest difference is, what you want is massive violation of trust between the devs and players.  When the original CoH team did the name purge they sent out communications saying hey any account that has not been active since X amount of days will be purged.  If you don’t want your account purged then log in.  They made attempts to give those inactive account owners chances to keep their account active or have them purged.  Essentially you want a GM to go behind a player’s back, without their knowledge or consent, change the name of a character on that account just so you can have access to it.

42 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

One difference is that the name purge freed up some names and put it back into availability for everyone.   So every active player had a shot at the names freed up.  What you want to do only benefits you and only you.

The biggest difference is, what you want is massive violation of trust between the devs and players.  When the original CoH team did the name purge they sent out communications saying hey any account that has not been active since X amount of days will be purged.  If you don’t want your account purged then log in.  They made attempts to give those inactive account owners chances to keep their account active or have them purged.  Essentially you want a GM to go behind a player’s back, without their knowledge or consent, change the name of a character on that account just so you can have access to it.

I feel like your argument is a little disingenuous here, since literally the only differences between what I'm asking and what you're talking about is that your way is a free-for-all and is in regard to entire accounts, not singular characters.

Attempts can be made, emails sent out, and time allowed for the account holder to respond. It's literally the exact same thing, except instead of a massive sweep of ALL accounts that have been inactive for X number of days, it's specific characters. Don't go throwing shade at me like I'm some evil jackass looking to screw other people over when all I'm asking about is IF such requests can even be made.

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, NemeanLion said:

I feel like your argument is a little disingenuous here, since literally the only differences between what I'm asking and what you're talking about is that your way is a free-for-all and is in regard to entire accounts, not singular characters.

Attempts can be made, emails sent out, and time allowed for the account holder to respond. It's literally the exact same thing, except instead of a massive sweep of ALL accounts that have been inactive for X number of days, it's specific characters. Don't go throwing shade at me like I'm some evil jackass looking to screw other people over when all I'm asking about is IF such requests can even be made.

My memory may be faulty on this but when name purges were discussed back on Live, characters of X level and above were generally safe and it was only low-level characters that might lose their name. The idea was to free up squatted names on inactive accounts but not changing the name of a Level 50 in case that player returns to the game someday. I think I also recall the mechanism being discussed was such that the name was only generic’d if or when someone chose that name in the character creator for a new character. Otherwise, the name stood as is. I don’t think this ever happened.

As I am sure thousands of names were squatted when HC began by players who have long since moved on, I think mass purging squatted names is reasonable but the kind of targeted name purging you describe is probably beyond the time constraints of an all-volunteer GM squad. You generally can’t get a timely reply on a bugged mission or TF (not complaining - I know resources are limited). I think having those precious few GMs available to help individual players get individual names isn’t a great use of resources.

As an aside, I’m trying to be more considerate when someone reaches out to me on a name but as altitis is built in to this game, I’m generally not responsive if someone is trying to shame me for keeping a name on a Level 50 that isn’t my “main.” I don’t have a main. I love them all and I’m unlikely to give up the name of a Level 50.

If I get asked about a sub-50 though, I try to consider the likelihood that of my playing them soon and how attached I am, etc. I really need to do a clean-up soon.

Edited by Attache
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

Yeah I do think its definitely time for a name purge as it's getting harder and harder to find names. It must be annoying for a brand new player coming on and seeing all the names taken. At least of people who haven't been on since the first 3 months of HC's launch, preferably of anyone who hasn't logged in since September or October 2019 IMO. We're three years in now. Actually just over three. Thats plenty of time for the people who haven't logged in since month one or month two of HC to log in and be active. I think at this point it's pretty obvious they only came back for nostalgia reasons or just to peek at what all the fuss is about, and now they've got that they have no intention to play or be active. And even if they do log back on one day I'm sure they won't be too devastated that their level 1 they haven't logged in for 900+ days is gone. If they even remember that they had that name.

As Attache said, during that first month of HC there was a lot of squatting of good names by people who haven't logged on since and now they just sit with a level 1 in their character selection. Even just doing the first three months of any non 50 would free up A LOT of names, first six months would be even better.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, would there even be a way to generic all names that haven't logged on since a certain date? Or arent of a certain level? Or would it have to be individual since that would take a lot of time? Thinking about it I think the way they did it on live would be best, send an email and make a discord announcement saying "You have until this date to click this link/log into the game on a character or it gets generic'd"

Edited by Gadzookery
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Gadzookery said:

Yeah I do think its definitely time for a name purge as it's getting harder and harder to find names. It must be annoying for a brand new player coming on and seeing all the names taken. At least of people who haven't been on since the first 3 months of HC's launch, preferably of anyone who hasn't logged in since September or October 2019 IMO. We're three years in now. Actually just over three. Thats plenty of time for the people who haven't logged in since month one or month two of HC to log in and be active. I think at this point it's pretty obvious they only came back for nostalgia reasons or just to peek at what all the fuss is about, and now they've got that they have no intention to play or be active. And even if they do log back on one day I'm sure they won't be too devastated that their level 1 they haven't logged in for 900+ days is gone. If they even remember that they had that name.

As Attache said, during that first month of HC there was a lot of squatting of good names by people who haven't logged on since and now they just sit with a level 1 in their character selection. Even just doing the first three months of any non 50 would free up A LOT of names, first six months would be even better.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, would there even be a way to generic all names that haven't logged on since a certain date? Or arent of a certain level? Or would it have to be individual since that would take a lot of time? Thinking about it I think the way they did it on live would be best, send an email and make a discord announcement saying "You have until this date to click this link/log into the game on a character or it gets generic'd"

See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Reasonable, fair, and sensible.

There is a name policy in place, however we currently do not have it active. It's designed to generic hero name inactive characters based on their individual level and last log in. If a character is lvl 50, even if the player moves to the moon, the name is as of the current policy permanently theirs, unless you are able to independently contact them and they release it on their own accord.

4 hours ago, First Player said:

What about all the people without access to their accounts, like those in the military?

Well, I wouldn't be in favor of too short an inactive time for situations like that. Even so, most active duty members of the military on deployment can still probably manage a yearly login if the game still holds interest for them. I'm thinking more about the folks who played for a few months at launch and then never returned.

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

17 hours ago, First Player said:

What about all the people without access to their accounts, like those in the military?

You start with an email/notification that says 'In six months' and allow confirmation of activity through email. Everyone has access to their email at least once every six months if not the game.

I released some of these and found some of these:

Airwing
Black Ax
Cosmic Cruller
High Summer

Key Note
Lycantherapist
Lycantherapy
Skyman
Singsong
Spring Break
Wikipedia Brown
Winged Victory

Edited by Attache