Allow turning off minion spawn as a difficulty level

DougGraves

At high levels minions just melt and may as well not be there.  It would be nice like you turn off spawning bosses to turn off spawning minions.  Just spawn lts, bosses, and above.

I would not turn off lts as for many villain groups they provide critical roles such as healing, buffs, or controls.

• Like 2

... I actually REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA.

I would NEVER USE IT ON NEMESIS.

You'd need to have a switch in the spawning logic that caused LTs to spawn for every minion in a group, and possibly to have bosses spawn in the normal LT spot... but damn it if I wouldn't eat that up. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the feeling of POWER when I drop a Nuke or Judgement on a group of enemies and watch the minions melt away like wax under a blowtorch, just as much as the next player! But having the option to increase the difficulty by THAT DEGREE?!

Sign me up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

OR making those minions (and everything else) sturdier and deadlier on incarnate difficultly.

Run 801.1 solo +4x8 ... I used several ideas from Capt and others for changing the composition of spawns to try to create an incarnate class combat experience.

... the minions are still too squishy for heavy offense, but you are likely to find you have difficulty deciding who to kill first. 

... "You are likely to have difficulty deciding who to kill first":  This was the basic plan, nothing should be ignore-able, and there should be something to annoy almost any build.

... I really need to rollback some of the more recent changes and go back to more Beam Rifle to better balance for defense vs resist armors

... I can solo this +1x8 on a Tier 4 incarnate empath, but less than a handful of my builds can solo it +4x8 both offensively and defensively.  (Lower Offense is more often the issue with my build style)

... A team of 4 or more Tier 4 Incarnates should still stomp this into oblivion, but it should at least be a little bit more difficult than normal.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Problem is that all-lieutenant and boss spawns changes the reward/time dynamics.  Killing 20 minions, half a dozen lieutenants and a boss in a minute (for example) is less exp and influence and fewer drops than a 20 lieutenant, seven boss mob in that same minute would be.  Even if it took say twice as long for that second example mob, it's still more reward/minute compared to the first one, which would only lead to more inflation and rapid leveling.

• Developer
1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

Would "Incarnate Level" be available for any mission/TF? 

Wonder what Reichsman would be like on Incarnate level...

To clarify: I am not saying any changes are being worked on, and my "department" is only powers and balance. Also, implementation of any new difficulty settings are outside my scope, my thoughts here are mostly just brainstorming and tossing things to the wind.

That said, main reason I posted above is because  the OP suggestion does not do much if anything for difficulty. One of the first things people did when AE started was make farms that had nothing but bosses, because rank alone does not mean the enemies are deadly, but removing minions and lts drastically boosts reward acquisition.

If anyone wants harder content, you start by making deadlier minions that don't die when sneezed at, not by removing them.

Edited by Captain Powerhouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

• Developer

I understand, i just forgot to clarify that ahead of time, usually when I say something like the above some threads end up taking life of their own that I'm already working on whatever I casually spoke about.

That said: if done, an incarnate "setting" could be implemented the same way flashback challenges work. However, if done as a buff to critters above level 50, it would just be how 51+ critters work.

Edited by Captain Powerhouse

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

I feel like this is still going to happen despite your clarification. Personally I'd use that to my advantage. Say something that comes across as a huge nerf, then when you do the small nerf you always intended, people will think you compromised and did what they wanted. Sure some will call that manipulation, but I think of it more as "Expectation Management."

5 hours ago, Moka said:

Any way to disable the +1 Alpha boost without removing the Alpha Slot? As an optional thing, of course.

Ignoring for the moment the complexity of coding for the game effect of it, you could put "Disable Incarnate Level Shift" as a choice in the difficulty menu when you're adjusting notoriety.

• Like 1