Might be time for a new tank

Xandyr

On 11/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, mcdoogss said:

3) Shield is incompatible with, in my opinion, the best tanker secondary in the game titan weapons (don't @ me).😛

On 11/9/2019 at 11:01 AM, Xandyr said:

Did a 4 man ITF last night on my Rad/spines tank. The only issue I had was the Cimoreans in large groups. I would get a large group and just stand there and let my quills whittle them down.

I don't think Titan Weapons is the best tanker secondary.  Spines is.  This is part of the reason why.

Now, TW does some things for you that Spines does not, like boosting your defense.  But TW was slow and painful to level as a primary; as a secondary it's worse.  For the same reason, a TW character is not a whole-game character.  I like my characters to be as at home running a Penny Yin as they are a Ms. Liberty.  TW does not take well to being exemped down.  But even without Quills, Spines has AoE attacks that are there well before Quills. 

If your goal is to be the toughest tanker out there, Dark Melee is your first choice and all the rest are also-rans.  If your goal is getting and keeping as much aggro as possible, Spines is your first choice. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Looks like you might've actually hit 12, you snagged one last Lattice near the end there it looked like, but definitely three Fungoids (3), a Quarry (1), some other Lattice's (4 total), and quite a few of the rocky ones whose name I can't recall that starts with an 'S' (4). Looks like you held up pretty well there for a bit, seemed like grabbing that last Lattice is what did you in, really.

Theres nothing on the lattice that can hurt an Elec armor.  The fungoids are the only GM that has the toxic dot that really hurts, a few of them summons the swarm which hurts rexharge.

5 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Theres nothing on the lattice that can hurt an Elec armor.  The fungoids are the only GM that has the toxic dot that really hurts, a few of them summons the swarm which hurts rexharge.

Yeah, I dug through the combat log after and it was the toxic that was consistently showing damage. For all practical gameplay it's a non-issue though.

1 hour ago, nicoliy said:

Yeah, I dug through the combat log after and it was the toxic that was consistently showing damage. For all practical gameplay it's a non-issue though.

Yep only a hand full of missions that are tricky for electric armor, anything with hydra, DE, and hamidon in lady gray because you have to fly to engage and grounded doesnt like flight.

2 hours ago, Mr.Sinister said:

I completely forgot about the jade spider!  Can anyone jog my memory on where I find that mission?

believe it is Mender Silos Strike Force.  which I ran solo with my blaster by mistake right after becoming level 50.  I meant to run Mender Ramiel arc to open up incarnate, was a bit surprised to run into that jade spider in the last mission. 😀

1 hour ago, kendo339 said:

believe it is Mender Silos Strike Force.  which I ran solo with my blaster by mistake right after becoming level 50.  I meant to run Mender Ramiel arc to open up incarnate, was a bit surprised to run into that jade spider in the last mission. 😀

It's one of the Menders, the one located behind the building on the second level.  I haven't run that mission since shortly after Oro was added to the game, I'm surprised I remembered it myself.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Microcosm said:

This is one reason I actually do take the crashing tier 9 power in electric armor. You have to be careful with the timing, but it allows you to fill that one hole it has for the rare scenarios you need it.

You can get over 50% Toxic via set bonuses now.  My friend's build is there.  I don't have a copy of his current build saved, so I can't give the exact number.

My Elec/Dark back on live had a giant 0% Toxic when he did those Arachnoid missions.  Mostly completed them via popping a large Purple every spawn.  I think doing them with 50+% wouldn't be too bad, now.  Relatively speaking, of course.

Tankers have become my new favourite AT, and we don't even have the damage changes yet.

It's all because of SD\ and SR\

I never played with defence sets on live because they seemed to do sod all at lower levels and I utterly despise click mez protection. But on Tankers? At level 22 with only basic IO stuff, my SD\ has 30% to all positions with only three slots added to each of the two toggles! It's disgusting! The SR\ is 40% to melee and like....30-35 on the other two!

The shield is definitely better though. The SR is sure to be total overkill on defense, while shield comes with a pile of other really, really good stuff.

• Like 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

• 1 month later

Wanted to update here. 

I've fiddled around with my invul/SS build and I will tip my hat to it now as being at least equal to shield if not ever so slightly stronger than shield.

Mainly because as it is now the both survive equally well, both have ageless for ddr, but invul has dull pain. Shield has no heal unless I slot rebirth instead of ageless, but that IMO isn't as reliable as dull pain or beneficial as ageless to even a hybrid defense build.

Now to be fair I haven't needed a heal on shield and it also has OWTS to rotate if I needed it.

I haven't needed the heal from dull pain either but it's nice to know it's there.

It's nice though to see my first ever live toon and first ever 50 be ultimate again.

9 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Wanted to update here. 

I've fiddled around with my invul/SS build and I will tip my hat to it now as being at least equal to shield if not ever so slightly stronger than shield.

Mainly because as it is now the both survive equally well, both have ageless for ddr, but invul has dull pain. Shield has no heal unless I slot rebirth instead of ageless, but that IMO isn't as reliable as dull pain or beneficial as ageless to even a hybrid defense build.

Now to be fair I haven't needed a heal on shield and it also has OWTS to rotate if I needed it.

I haven't needed the heal from dull pain either but it's nice to know it's there.

It's nice though to see my first ever live toon and first ever 50 be ultimate again.

Built for top-end toughness, you shouldn't need a heal on Invuln either.
It's just about the best-rounded set out there.

WP is better rounded, but it's automated everything essentially.
So you pay for said automation in somewhat lower durability.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

14 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Built for top-end toughness, you shouldn't need a heal on Invuln either.
It's just about the best-rounded set out there.

WP is better rounded, but it's automated everything essentially.
So you pay for said automation in somewhat lower durability.

It's rare that I need Dull Pain on CMA; the only times I've used it recently have been on the BAF while I was pulling the AV's and out of range for Invincibility.  Facing ranged foes while I'm out of melee drops my defenses significantly; thus the fall back of Dull Pain.  If I was doing lots of I Trials I might shift things a bit to get another 5% defense to reach the Incarnate soft cap; although it would likely come at the expense of loosing some resistances.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

It's rare that I need Dull Pain on CMA; the only times I've used it recently have been on the BAF while I was pulling the AV's and out of range for Invincibility.  Facing ranged foes while I'm out of melee drops my defenses significantly; thus the fall back of Dull Pain.  If I was doing lots of I Trials I might shift things a bit to get another 5% defense to reach the Incarnate soft cap; although it would likely come at the expense of loosing some resistances.

Stuff like this is why I rejigger Mid's to start Invincibility from ZERO enemies, and build true Soft-Cap.
Had that catch me with my pants down a few times.

*BURP!*

*RANGED OF DEATH!*

MMM!  LINOLEUM!  OMNOMNOM!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Stuff like this is why I rejigger Mid's to start Invincibility from ZERO enemies, and build true Soft-Cap.
Had that catch me with my pants down a few times.

*BURP!*

*RANGED OF DEATH!*

MMM!  LINOLEUM!  OMNOMNOM!

That BAF was the first time I'd encountered that problem in Homecoming and it came as a bit of a surprise.  I quickly dropped to about 60% and hit Dull Pain followed by a purple candy then finished pulling Siege.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later

Ya know what one of the greatest feelings in the world is? When you're teaming,  and everyone wipes, INCLUDING the other Tank, and the whole team is cheering you on because you're still alive and kicking (without using any insps or incarnate powers). Then you clear the room, everyone rezzes, and they're all like "holy shit!" because they're in awe that you not only survived, but cleared everything for them.  😀

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Ya know what one of the greatest feelings in the world is? When you're teaming,  and everyone wipes, INCLUDING the other Tank, and the whole team is cheering you on because you're still alive and kicking (without using any insps or incarnate powers). Then you clear the room, everyone rezzes, and they're all like "holy shit!" because they're in awe that you not only survived, but cleared everything for them.  😀

I've been there several times and you're right, it's a lot of fun.  One of the most memorable was back on Live shortly after the ITF went live.  We were dealing with the computer and everyone bit it when I ran out of aggro cap on the robots.  I ended up finishing the computer and then started passing out wakies.  I never had any issues with survivability and finished the fight with nearly full health having hit Dull Pain once.

Spoiler

• 5 weeks later
On 1/26/2020 at 12:50 AM, Xandyr said:

You get the visual of The Big Guy/Girl walking out of a flaming hellscape.
And all your teammates (who, hopefully aren't corpses), are standing there, looking at you, and screaming "HOW THE *BLEEEEEEEEEP* did you *BLEEEEEEEEP!* survive that shit!"
*Cue dusting off of the pecs*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hyperstrike said:

You get the visual of The Big Guy/Girl walking out of a flaming hellscape.
And all your teammates (who, hopefully aren't corpses), are standing there, looking at you, and screaming "HOW THE *BLEEEEEEEEEP* did you *BLEEEEEEEEP!* survive that shit!"
*Cue dusting off of the pecs*

That's usually not a huge problem with a well built tank, the real skill is in keeping a team of idiots alive.  Not that I'm saying anything you aren't already fully aware of Hyper. 😁

Spoiler