Which zones do you play in and which zones do you rarely/never enter?

DougGraves

I have characters that play both the Hollows and Faultline, but I mostly solo or run with my wife and/or daughter. I like to spread my characters around so that not every character is running the same content (e.g., different zones, some focus on newer content, some focus on old school content, and so forth).

• Like 1

The reason for that is that most of those people are doing radio missions; where the zone you play is basically irrelevant, so people go for the basic ones.

I see very few people recruiting for story missions at all, not just Faultline and the Hollows.

• Like 2

Only zones I avoid are the red and yellow ones, nothing worth seeing in either of those places,  the AP mission refresh they did with Freedom basically skips the hollows, if you do Habashies arc, at the end of it you are sent to Shauna in KR (and are appropriately levelled) and by the time you finish her and Eagle Eye you are level 12 or thereabouts and heading to Steel or Sky, and thats if you are sane like me and avoid twitshot like the plague she is!! if you don't there's another 2 levels in AP

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 hours ago, E1125 said:

The reason for that is that most of those people are doing radio missions; where the zone you play is basically irrelevant, so people go for the basic ones.

I see very few people recruiting for story missions at all, not just Faultline and the Hollows.

That's kind of a generalization. I rarely do generic radio missions unless I'm close to finishing out a level to get a new contact. Story missions are the primary part of the game for me. However, going with full teams for story missions is a bit overkill. Solo, duo, trio seems the best fit for story missions (in my playstyle; opinions and playstyles certainly vary 🙂 ).

One great thing about CoH is that both the new and old tutorials and missions are still available, so there is a great variety of content to do--including radio missions. Using the search button for contacts instead of taking whatever contact is next in line based on your current quest line gives even more options. 

Primary: Atlas, Steel, Talos, P.I.

Secondary:  Brickstown, Founders Falls, Rikti War Zone

Only for zone events or task forces:  Faultline, Independence Point, Skyway (and I use Skyway as a path to Faultline), Croatoa, Striga Island

Almost never any hazard zone

Never gold-side locations, wards, or Cimerora.  I just forget about them most of the time, and when I do remember, it feels tacked on, rather than part of the flow.

8 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I am disappointed that the Hollows and Faultline are so empty.  I rarely see teams recruiting for those zones.  I see Steel, Talos, and PI basically.

Is there zone diversity still?

I try to run the Hollows and Faultline arcs on every character -- it's good merits, and you get the Ouro portal from Doc Delilah arc at lvl 20.  I usually solo these, but it's not that hard to put together a team for either one; it just takes some time.  

Who run Bartertown?

Blueside, I tend to avoid Skyway, IP, Croatoa, Founder's and hazard zones.  I usually follow the newer storylines and many of those stories don't use those zones.  I typically do the AP trio, Shauna/EE in Kings, Montague in Steel, then move to Faultline followed by Talos.  Tips in Talos after Keith/Jenni/Roy, then Bricks at 30 for Provost.  RWZ at 35, then PI/RWZ at 40.

Redside, I generally only pass over Oakes and Nerva. I usually get enough experience from Kalinda/Burke/whoever the new contact is to skip Oakes, only going there for Dr. Graves' missions.  Meanwhile Nerva has far less going for it compared to Sharkhead where you have Dean/Leonard/Vincent and Marital with Mr. G.  RWZ strikes again at 35+ too and the first Patron arc also helps fill the gap.

Gold, you kinda get forced into the main three zones.  You only go underground for Resistance Crusader stuff so the underground is often avoided, and First Ward/Night Ward I really need to be in the mood for as those two zones are rather tedious and can be difficult.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I still suffer from horrible flashbacks to trying to traverse the Hollows without travel powers. Partly why I don't go there much. 

The other reason is with 2x XP boosts you out level it fairly quickly.

I really miss Perez Park, though.

I love Croata, the only problem is I tend to out level the zone quickly.

Otherwise, I spent most of my time in Dark Astoria. Love the atmosphere.

PI, and TI is fine, but I only go there for missions.

I only go to IP for Yin TFs. The zone is too spread out. Skyway is also annoyingly designed.

It has been my experience that almost all of the COV zones were created by people who hate super speed. Even SJ is annoying there, so my beast run chars avoid it.

A simple fix would be to serious experience bonuses to the hazard zones. Make DFB and DIB bonus experience cap out earlier.

I would love Night Ward if the mobs were tweaked a bit. And there was level 50 content.

I seem to like the darker themed zones...

12 hours ago, nightroarer said:

That's kind of a generalization. I rarely do generic radio missions unless I'm close to finishing out a level to get a new contact. Story missions are the primary part of the game for me. However, going with full teams for story missions is a bit overkill. Solo, duo, trio seems the best fit for story missions (in my playstyle; opinions and playstyles certainly vary 🙂 ).

One great thing about CoH is that both the new and old tutorials and missions are still available, so there is a great variety of content to do--including radio missions. Using the search button for contacts instead of taking whatever contact is next in line based on your current quest line gives even more options. 

That's why I said "those people" i.e. those people who are recruiting for full teams.

I never said that people didn't play the story content. I said that you were unlikely to see those people recruiting.

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I am disappointed that the Hollows and Faultline are so empty.  I rarely see teams recruiting for those zones.  I see Steel, Talos, and PI basically.

Is there zone diversity still?

Right there you have 3 of the most connected zones in the game. Add in Atlas Park and Oroborus and that's all the big ones.

As far as actual play in I basically agree, though I do actually do content in Faultline and Croatoa quite regularly. What I like about those zones is their story arcs are self-contained in the zone and don't require the hassle of zoning back and forth and also they're tightly integrated to the zone. You feel like you're doing A Story when you do that content. The Hollows technically is like that now too but usually I have other things to do than dip in there. If I can stay in Steel Canyon and not mess with Skyway City too much I'm fine with that as well; I really feel like Skyway could have stood a slight do-over to just gently remodel some of the most awkward areas. And Independence Port is just too big, I never want to do missions there it's a waste of my time going from one end to the other.

Right now I'm doing some Striga Isle content and it's also nicely contained and enmeshed with the zone's feel. There's a few too many hunt missions and some annoying defeat alls which are a hassle as a soloer but perfect for a team. Overall it's good times punching Nazis. Did you realize one of the Striga missions teases Coralax?? You don't see it, it's in a glowy box, but the hint is there.

I'm not really sure how I manage to go from Talos/Striga/Croatoa directly to Peregrine Island but it feels like I hardly ever set foot in Brickstown or Founder's Falls, and I'm not really sad about that. I just don't like those zones. Bricks is ugly and the Zig is a hassle to get around. Founder's Falls is gorgeous and has that Venice theme going on but somehow it feels like going to the high end part of the city wealthy people live in where the malls have a dress code and also huge demons that will kill you.  To me, Kallisti Wharf has captured a lot of the feel of FF but in a better way. It's a shame because it is a pretty zone but it just doesn't work for me. Recently I've been doing First Ward/Night Ward a lot. The missions are challenging but still feel new, and from there it's a quick springboard to the Rikti War Zone.

As far as Villain side goes I always hated Mercy and the adjustment where you start in the city instead of the trash heap around the fortress is a huge improvement. Port Oakes and Cap Au Diable are fine as far as zones go. I would have to say I like to hang out in Cap because that big stretch between the black market and the university is a pretty safe spot that's still atmospheric.  Sharks is ok, St. Martial is Ok, Nerva UGH and I hate Grandville. I hate Grandville so much. It's like the zone designer hated the players. Vertical zone my ass. When I heard Grandville was going to be a vertical zone I was picturing a tower with levels instead we got the biggest most bloated fortress where none of the connections make any sense. Getting to the base portal on top of the main admin building? Well exit the building go around back and use some unmarked elevators. Even though the portal is like 15' behind the patrons you can't just open a door and go out there, nosiree.   In comparison PI is a bit flat but it's not annoying.

Seriously I think the CoV primary zone designer started with the wrong approach and I think most of the zones are intended to make you feel constantly under assault and stressed. And that's not a good choice for an MMO where you need to have breathing room to meet up with people, chat, mess with your inventory, hold a costume contest, etc. Even when there are buildings you can actually go inside of they're usually not put out there in a friendly way. For example, the unlabled Arachnos HQ in Marconeville in Port Oakes. UN LABELED. We shouldn't have to be saying on help "it's the giant building underneath the Marconeville map marker right by the hospital, just fight past the guys standing in front of the door and when you get inside you can register your super group."  It should be labeled, it should be clear of enemies, there should be drones guarding the four corners of the plaza in front of it, and there should be more NPCs inside providing info and services. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I'm still only a couple months in so I'm still constantly getting to level 25 max before I make yet another alt.

I was street sweeping Atlas until 6, then moving into Kings Row to do Radios and story missions. I move on to Steel and street sweep there until I can do the Faultline contacts. Now I AE power to 12 and go straight to Steel.

When I finally get a character further on, I'll go to Croatoa like I used to on Live, and do that storyline.

I did the Hollows storyline a couple times for nostalgia, but after that I never had a reason to go there. Never go to Skyway instead of Steel; it's a terrible layout, and I still prefer the zone with the AH and university in it because on Live we couldn't just /ah anywhere.

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

14 hours ago, Murcielago said:

DIB, DFB, and AE are mostly to blame for that. It is more efficient to stand and hit the queue than run around to missions. 

Quoted for truth.  Also 2XP option. 

One Frostfire map gives like 8-10 levels with 2XP, so how many people are gonna be in the hollows when they out level the content just a few missions?

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, E1125 said:

That's why I said "those people" i.e. those people who are recruiting for full teams.

I never said that people didn't play the story content. I said that you were unlikely to see those people recruiting.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I missed "those" and just read "most people.' My apologies.

Zones I'm in... any/all of them.  No bias.  Even the Hallows.  As I run I think what Travel power would fit best in this situation; Flight for cone damage, TP for speed, etc...

I like Croata, especially at Halloween time.  Spotting Nessie, silent, slow, but eerie.

I like the scarred buildings in Boomtown, adds a tension you're not always safe here in the City.  Just different/opposite to AP's look.  I rarely go there b/c when I'm reminded of Boomtown I already out leveled it; exploration badges and screenshots.  I think they should use it more IMHO.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

2 hours ago, Erydanus said:

Seriously I think the CoV primary zone designer started with the wrong approach and I think most of the zones are intended to make you feel constantly under assault and stressed. And that's not a good choice for an MMO where you need to have breathing room to meet up with people, chat, mess with your inventory, hold a costume contest, etc. Even when there are buildings you can actually go inside of they're usually not put out there in a friendly way. For example, the unlabled Arachnos HQ in Marconeville in Port Oakes. UN LABELED. We shouldn't have to be saying on help "it's the giant building underneath the Marconeville map marker right by the hospital, just fight past the guys standing in front of the door and when you get inside you can register your super group."  It should be labeled, it should be clear of enemies, there should be drones guarding the four corners of the plaza in front of it, and there should be more NPCs inside providing info and services.

I think this was precisely the point of the design behind the CoV zones.  It posits the question: "What would a City of Villains really look and feel like?"  It would be dark and dreary, because of lax environmental regulations.  There would be no city planning or zoning, so the buildings and streets would be random and twisted, depending on whoever wanted whatever they wanted placed anywhere they wanted.  The streets would not be safe, not even in front of the equivalent of "city hall".  There would be trash everywhere.  There wouldn't be helpful signage, or if there was, it wouldn't last long due to vandalism and lack of maintenance.  There are no civil servants to help ordinary people: they're all just Arachnos flunkies serving Lord Recluse alone.

• Like 4

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

It's ironic that, in general, the best content is in the lowest population zones.   I think this is because the good content also tends to be a little more challenging.  People gravitate toward the easier content, either because it's the path of least resistance, or because it's just easier to find teams in high population areas.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Well for me part of the problem is I follow the bread crumbs.  So It's Atlas > KR > Skyway / SC etc.  I've not found the bread crumb that leads me to the Hollows.  If I go there it's because I've ignored the contacts I do have and made it a point to go there.

1 hour ago, Xeres said:

I've not found the bread crumb that leads me to the Hollows. 

That's because those crumbs were vacuumed up as part of the Hollows Revamp in Issue 12.  After that, the Hollows declined pretty rapidly from it's older status as the zone for lowbies to congregate in.

AE (Issue 14) and the changes to Exemplaring (Issue 16) were pretty much just nails in the coffin.  Especially Issue 16 which eliminated the Mentor Tetris mini-game and allowed lowbies to pretty much go anywhere they wanted.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)